Mixing

This page is dedicated to the art of mixing. Join other producers and recording engineers and discuss mixing techniques, your favorite software, equipment and more!

Highlighted

X32 Main and Monitor Help!

Contributor - Level 2
Hey guys, I’m the sound engineer for my church and we are in the process of upgrading our tech into the 21st century lol. We just bought an X32 compact and I’m having some trouble. When I was unhooking the cables from the old board to label them, I noticed that they only have one XLR cable for all the house speakers and one ¼” cable for all the stage monitors. I’m having trouble knowing what to do to route them on the X32! Please if you have any ideas or suggestions I would be greatly thankful!
Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6

Re: X32 Main and Monitor Help!

Volunteer Moderator
Hi Michael,

Welcome to the forum. Glad to hear that you got your church moved into the 21st century. We did the same at my church in Dec 2012 and never turned back. Everyone loves it.

Regarding your question about the 2 available cables, the XLR cable for the main speaker can probably be plugged into XLR output 7 or 8 which is the default for Main L and R. To check that, go into the Routing, Out 1-16 screen and check Output 7 and 8 to ensure that Main L and Main R are assigned. If not assign them. Then go into the Routing, XLR Out screen and make sure that the first 2 banks (of 4) are assigned to Out 1-4 and 5-8 respectively.

For the one 1/4" plug for the monitors, to get you up and running, plug that into the Aux Out 1 (bottom row of 1/4" jacks on the back of the Compact). Then go into the Routing, Aux Out screen and make sure that the Output 1 is assigned to mixbus 1 (post fader).
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator

Contributor - Level 2
Paul Vannatto;160105 wrote:
Hi Michael,

Welcome to the forum. Glad to hear that you got your church moved into the 21st century. We did the same at my church in Dec 2012 and never turned back. Everyone loves it.

Regarding your question about the 2 available cables, the XLR cable for the main speaker can probably be plugged into XLR output 7 or 8 which is the default for Main L and R. To check that, go into the Routing, Out 1-16 screen and check Output 7 and 8 to ensure that Main L and Main R are assigned. If not assign them. Then go into the Routing, XLR Out screen and make sure that the first 2 banks (of 4) are assigned to Out 1-4 and 5-8 respectively.

For the one 1/4" plug for the monitors, to get you up and running, plug that into the Aux Out 1 (bottom row of 1/4" jacks on the back of the Compact). Then go into the Routing, Aux Out screen and make sure that the Output 1 is assigned to mixbus 1 (post fader).

Thank you so much man! I tried it out last night and it worked like a charm. The only trouble I am having now is the acoustic electric. It is making some weird feedback noises and I'm not sure what's causing it.

Volunteer Moderator
Michael Cunningham;160170 wrote:
Thank you so much man! I tried it out last night and it worked like a charm. The only trouble I am having now is the acoustic electric. It is making some weird feedback noises and I'm not sure what's causing it.

Is it mic'd or connected via guitar cable? I would suggest you upload your scene file so that we can better troubleshoot. Here are the instructions.

Contributor - Level 2
Paul Vannatto;160173 wrote:
Is it mic'd or connected via guitar cable? I would suggest you upload your scene file so that we can better troubleshoot. Here are the instructions.

It's connected by a guitar cable.

Volunteer Moderator
Again I would suggest you upload your scene file.

Contributor - Level 3
Michael Cunningham;160179 wrote:
It's connected by a guitar cable.

When you say it is connected by a Guitar cable have you checked to make sure it isn't a speaker cable. They look alike but they aren't and they behave very differently.
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors