Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

X32 Producer-TP Expandability Questions

I am considering the X32 Producer-TP for my church's youth group, as I would like a small mixer that is rack mountable, but I'm wondering about expandability options. I see it advertised as 40 input, but physically there are only 16 inputs and 8 aux outputs on the console itself (and 2 of those are L and R). Am I correct in assuming that in order to expand the inputs/outputs, I'd need to use an S16 or S32 digital snake? If I were to use one of these accessories, do I lose the ability to use the inputs/outputs on the mixer itself, or are they available in addition to the additional inputs/outputs I would gain with the digital snake? I can see how having the inputs/outputs on the stage would be beneficial, but I can also see that having some locally (i.e. wireless mics) would be important.

Landry
LandryCarpenter Contributor - Level 1 2016-03-28

2016-03-28

X32 Producer-TP Expandability Questions

I am considering the X32 Producer-TP for my church's youth group, as I would like a small mixer that is rack mountable, but I'm wondering about expandability options. I see it advertised as 40 input, but physically there are only 16 inputs and 8 aux outputs on the console itself (and 2 of those are L and R). Am I correct in assuming that in order to expand the inputs/outputs, I'd need to use an S16 or S32 digital snake? If I were to use one of these accessories, do I lose the ability to use the inputs/outputs on the mixer itself, or are they available in addition to the additional inputs/outputs I would gain with the digital snake? I can see how having the inputs/outputs on the stage would be beneficial, but I can also see that having some locally (i.e. wireless mics) would be important.

Landry

• 0 Kudos
  • 2 Replies
Contributor - Level 3

Re: X32 Producer-TP Expandability Questions

The 40x input channels are comprised of 32x mono channels with full processing, and 8x aux channels with limited processing, 2 of which are fixed as the dedicated USB 2-track player. The X32 series also has 4x dedicated stereo\dual-mono FX returns, also with limited processing, which all up means it can actually process 48 channels (albeit 16 of with limited processing: peq only.)

As you've seen, the X32 producer has 16 mic preamps on the rear, which by default are its first 16x mono inputs. It also has 6x mono aux ins on TRS/RCA connectors, which are aux1-6, and the USB 2-track player on aux7-8, so really there are 24 inputs on the surface. The auxes can be moved to different channels (eg ch17 can source its signal from aux1 if you want, which would allow you to have full processing on whatever input is plugged into aux1, except you don't get a preamp gain or +48V on that source.) This is a handy way of getting wireless RX full processing without burning a preamp, as long as the RXs have a line-level output.

To fill the remaining 16x inputs, you can use a digital snake (S16, DL16, S32, SD8 etc,) you can use digital returns from a DAW connected to the included X-USB expansion card, or you can even use another x32. When you add it all up, the X32 Producer can have a total of 153 inputs connected to it at once, but it only has enough DSP to mix 40+fx returns at a time. Exactly which inputs make up the 40x channels can be changed on a scene-by-scene (or snippet) basis. You choose which inputs are assigned to signals in the routing>home tab, in 4x blocks-of-8 and 1x block-of-6. Due to the block-of-eight limitation, you can't do 9x inputs from the s16 and 7x local preamps, so think carefully about where your equipment is located. You might want to do a mixture of local and remote preamps. You might want only local preamps, or you might want only remote preamps. Any of these is possible, within the blocks-of-eight constraint.

In terms of outputs, there are 8x XLR outs on the console, along with 6x aux outs on TRS/RCA. The XLR and TRS sockets are all balanced, it's just the pinouts are different. They are all freely patchable to pretty much any signal and any tap point, so if you've got the right adapters, the console really has 14x outputs. You don't have to have 6x buses for monitors out+LR. If you are running a mono FOH you could have 7x buses out for monitors + a mono FOH mix. You can also use the aux IO pairs to run outboard inserts on any 1-32 channel, bus, LRMC or matrix.

You can set up the outputs on the snake to mirror the outputs on the console and you can use both simultaneously, or you can have the digital snake's outputs patched to different signals, and still use both local and remote outputs simultaneously.

With an S16 you can have 16x remote inputs on the stage, and another 24 inputs local to the console (16x mic pres + 8x aux ins.) You can have 8x remote outputs on the s16, and an entirely different 14x outputs on the console (8x on XLR and 6x on aux.)

HTH

Edit: you can also have multiple channels source signals from the same preamp. This would allow you to plug instruments into preamps1-16, and use ch1-16 with whatever eq and dynamics processing exclusively for your LR mix. You can then set ch17-32 to also source signals from preamps1-16. You can then process ch17-32 with entirely different eq and dynamics processing, and use ch17-32 exclusively for monitors.

Finally, IMO the biggest issue with the Producer is the lack of digital scribble strips. 48 channels, 25 buses, and 8 DCAs across only 17 faders (one of which is fixed to either LR or solo,) and no custom fader layout. Bring your board tape and Sharpie, and make sure you know which layer you're on. TBH I wish TMG had developed the M32R form factor first, then not produced the Compact or the Producer at all, just an M32R and X32R. Still 48 channels, 25 buses and 8 DCAs on 17 faders, but with digital scribble strips, and still rackable. Oh well. Good luck with it.
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: X32 Producer-TP Expandability Questions

I would recommend the compact, as the scribble strips are highly desirable, especially for folks who are new to digital mixing.

That being said, the cost of a compact + an S16 is almost as much as the cost of a full size X32, which has other advantages over the smaller consoles (though it would require a larger analog snake).
Indianapolis, IN