Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

X32 Rack Router

I'm new an just getting into the digital mixer scene, What is the best 5g router to use with the X32 rack long range and short range. I've seen the Apple Aiport Extreme and also the Linksys WRT 3200 both are dual band 2.4g and 5 g router . Which one is the better one ?
Tags (1)
RodTurner Contributor - Level 2 2017-04-10

2017-04-10

X32 Rack Router

I'm new an just getting into the digital mixer scene, What is the best 5g router to use with the X32 rack long range and short range. I've seen the Apple Aiport Extreme and also the Linksys WRT 3200 both are dual band 2.4g and 5 g router . Which one is the better one ?

• 0 Kudos
  • 12 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Re: X32 Rack Router

Rod Turner;121386 wrote:

Rod, from memory, numerous people have had difficulties with Apple routers & the X32. I tried an Airport Express when trying out a Presonus desk & couldn't get it to work at all...
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

My soundco uses the apple AirPort Extreme, the monolith shaped one, and it works well at a good distance.
I bought a used one, the flat or pancake version, 2nd or 3rd generation, first with the dual mode, for my XR18 system and it works well out to near 200 feet.
I'm surprised nobody sells a rack mount router, maybe with a remote antenna.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

>> I'm surprised nobody sells a rack mount router, maybe with a remote antenna.
Those are mostly for enterprise use, expensive, and often hard to setup for the average user. For example ZyXEL USG60W-NB $400 for the hardware plus the cost of user licenses. If you want Cisco, the price is much higher.

To the original poster:
Look for online reviews in your price range. Have in mind that in many cases, what works for another person may not work for you and buy from a place that accepts returns.

A word of caution - do not connect-enable USB ports on the router (if any) and don't place it near other USB devices (your laptop, for example.)

In a crowded environment you will need to be near your wireless router to get a good signal. FCC regulations do not allow users to modify firmware so that users are not able to increase RF power. As a consequence, most good newer routers will have a similar range set to the limit allowed by FCC regulations (https://www.wired.com/2016/03/way-go-fcc-now-manufacturers-locking-routers/)

With 2.4 GHz you get longer ranger. With 5 GHz you get faster speed but shorter range.

To extend range you can wire two or more cheap routers to the main router and configure them as Access Points. At home I use the TM-AC1900 s in Access Point mode. You can also use cheap switches every 100 feet and wire one AP at the end (The official Ethernet range specification is 328 feet , you can try your good luck with longer runs). 100-feet Cat5 cables are available on line; for longer cables you need to buy bulk cable and make your own.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Donald McNany;121425 wrote:
My soundco uses the apple AirPort Extreme, the monolith shaped one, and it works well at a good distance.
I bought a used one, the flat or pancake version, 2nd or 3rd generation, first with the dual mode, for my XR18 system and it works well out to near 200 feet.
I'm surprised nobody sells a rack mount router, maybe with a remote antenna.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/nowsonic_stage_router.htm
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Jeff Sloan;121445 wrote:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/nowsonic_stage_router.htm

VERY NICE, but VERY EXPENSIVE!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

And if you really want to spend more money on a wifi router, Nowsonic just announced last week the Nowsonic Stage Router Pro which promises even stronger signals and MIMO.

Art
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

I use the D-Link AC1750 with no issues
Contributor - Level 2

I use a Mikrotik router (RB951G-2HnD) , paired with a galaxy tab s2 tablet. For a pub packed with 300+ souls, it works like a dream. I couldn't congratulate myself more getting it. This little thing, which looks nothing like a router, with no external antenas, just a tiny, very discrete, generic plastic white box and a few leds, has a tx power of 1W!!! A beast I tell ya
It's very cheap, but in another league of its own, it's my little gem. Only 2.4ghz though, but what do I care, as long as it works like it should. Never had a single problem, works fast, reliable and guess what : it doesn't give a damn about 300+ phones and tablets or whatever poluting the air in the room, as long as I raise it above their heads.
I'm not working for mikrotik..I'm just very happy with this thing!

For me, these solutions makes the more sense....cheap, easy to handle, discrete and efective..
Highlighted
Super Contributor - Level 2

This can be mounted on a rack shelf, or on any surface.

http://store.peplink.com/ap-one-rugged.html
Indianapolis, IN