Mixing

This page is dedicated to the art of mixing. Join other producers and recording engineers and discuss mixing techniques, your favorite software, equipment and more!

Highlighted

X32 using L/R and M/C buses for reverb/delay fx

Contributor - Level 2
I am looking to run an X32 for monitor console but need more buses for fx. I'm trying to find a way I can use the L/R and M/C buses for reverbs on drums and vocals so that I can keep mix buses 1-16 as 8 stereo pairs for the band's IEMs.

My idea isn't working thus for. Here's how I've tried...

Vocals 1-4 at unity for L/R bus
Snare/Tom at unity for M/C bus

L/R at unity sent post fader to Matrix 1/2
M/C at unity sent post fader to Matrix 5/6

Matrix 1/2 has an insert Hall Verb (FX 1 L/R)
Matrix 5/6 has an insert Plate Verb (FX 2 L/R)

Using Sends on Fader (SOF) the FX 1-2 L/R channels (in the Aux Section) get sent to the Mix Buses 1-16 (IEM mixes)

Everything including FX Returns, L/R and M/C bus, and Matrices are at unity. I can even solo the FX 1 and 2 L/R channels and hear the effects in all their glory; however, none of the mix buses 1-16 can hear them in the IEMs... Smiley Sad

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? I would be so thankful for your help...
8 REPLIES 8

Re: X32 using L/R and M/C buses for reverb/delay fx

Contributor - Level 3
John Schauf;158340 wrote:
I am looking to run an X32 for monitor console but need more buses for fx. I'm trying to find a way I can use the L/R and M/C buses for reverbs on drums and vocals so that I can keep mix buses 1-16 as 8 stereo pairs for the band's IEMs.

My idea isn't working thus for. Here's how I've tried...

Vocals 1-4 at unity for L/R bus
Snare/Tom at unity for M/C bus

L/R at unity sent post fader to Matrix 1/2
M/C at unity sent post fader to Matrix 5/6

Matrix 1/2 has an insert Hall Verb (FX 1 L/R)
Matrix 5/6 has an insert Plate Verb (FX 2 L/R)

Using Sends on Fader (SOF) the FX 1-2 L/R channels (in the Aux Section) get sent to the Mix Buses 1-16 (IEM mixes)

Everything including FX Returns, L/R and M/C bus, and Matrices are at unity. I can even solo the FX 1 and 2 L/R channels and hear the effects in all their glory; however, none of the mix buses 1-16 can hear them in the IEMs... Smiley Sad

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? I would be so thankful for your help...

I wouldn't consider this a pre-sales question as it looks like you already have the X32. I don't look in this section regularly so I wouldn't usually see a question or followup here.

You might want to ask that this be mover to the right sub forum. And when you do you might also want to post a scene here so someone can take a look at it and see what you are doing. Here are the instructions. but you may need more posts before you can do that.

https://behringerwiki.musictribe.com/index.php?title=Uploading_files_to_the_forum

Contributor - Level 3
How about using the L/R bus or a matrix send as a stereo IEM feed and free up 2 of the Mix Bus sends for the FX?

Volunteer Moderator
Kevin Maxwell;158356 wrote:
You might want to ask that this be mover to the right sub forum.

I'll move it over the X32 General Discussion section shortly.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator

Contributor - Level 2
Kevin Maxwell;158359 wrote:
How about using the L/R bus or a matrix send as a stereo IEM feed and free up 2 of the Mix Bus sends for the FX?

No, its a good idea but not for our situation. This means its now mono sends to FX not stereo AND more importantly there are times when we can't dedicate a monitor engineer meaning someone on stage gets full access to the iPad mixing app. This means a band member has full control over all mixes, including gains, EQs, etc. which is something we cannot have. We need the bands to have access to mixbuses only which means the FX problem needs to be solves without any of the 16 mixbuses.

Any thoughts on the L/R and M/C with or without Matrices?

Volunteer Moderator
If I read your scenario correctly - Any time a rack-fx becomes an insert fx the return channels becomes muted internally.

I have asked to let the console operator decide for themselfs if the return channel should be muted or not and they were very reluctant to do so due to the high risk of feedback loops.

I would somehow utilize the aux inserts or use the aux inputs to get some extra fx.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!

Contributor - Level 2
Thanks for your reply Robert. I wondered if something like this was happening behind the scenes and it’d make sense why. What ideas would you try to utalize the aux inserts (or outputs) for this? Would it be as simple as using Aux 1/2 as configuring their input to the FX 1 L/R return or would I need to physically send the Matrices outputs via Aux Outs or XLRs and route back into the board using Aux Remapping?

Ideas:
Using Matrix outputs to send physically back to the Aux-ins and then assigning 1-32 channels or Aux-in channels to receive the signal
Alternatively, just using a 1-32 channel or Aux channel configured with FX 1 L/R channel as input within the board
Test inserting Hall Reverb directly onto M/C channel rather than a Matrix

Regardless, I’ll keep mind of the feedback loop: deselect the duplicate channel sends or FX returns from L/R and M/C if I'm correct on this.

However, I imagine the same issue would happen where you can solo the wet signal in the returns section but cannot blend it into any mix within the board - which is so frusterating as a monitor guy. Any ideas or input before I spend some time on this would be appreciated.

I hope there isn’t something real simple like a mute button I’m missing… Deep down, I have a gut feeling there’s is a way to utalize the M/C and L/R for busing FX and sharing the wet signal into an IEM mix. Its bugging me I can't figure it out.

Contributor - Level 2
The method described in your first post would work if you route Matrix 1/2 and 5/6 to Aux outputs, and bring them back in via Aux inputs (physically, with patch cables). A bit of latency would be added but for IEM reverb that should be fine.

Just be careful not to assign the utilized Aux inputs to the LR or M/C bus (feedback loop).

Contributor - Level 2
Philip Cain;158381 wrote:
The method described in your first post would work if you route Matrix 1/2 and 5/6 to Aux outputs, and bring them back in via Aux inputs (physically, with patch cables). A bit of latency would be added but for IEM reverb that should be fine.

Just be careful not to assign the utilized Aux inputs to the LR or M/C bus (feedback loop).

You got it. I made progress today with this. However, I didn't even need to do any physical patching.

[LIST=1]
  • M/C reverb, delay, etc. can be heard in their FX # L/R returns as normal
  • L/R needs to be sent to Mtx. FX are inserted onto Mtx. Aux linked in stereo can receive the wet signal when configured to receive the input from the associated FX # L/R which then the Aux is mixed into the IEM as normal.

So this technique did result in 8 stereo IEMs with up to 4 FX granted you are willing to use 3 stereo Aux channels (configure to receive input from FX returns).

One thing is to be careful not to send the Aux channels into L/R or M/C though or there will be a FX loop. Also, you have to be careful only to send the correct channels L/R or M/C and it took me a bit to find how to not only send them to the buses separately but also use the correct amount of input gain which I have standardized at unity.

It works! Thanks all. Any other ideas or ways to accomplish this, I'm all for trying. My next goal will be to find a way not to use any of the Aux but still get the same "effect" - no pun intended.

FYI, remember you could technically source FX with this technique (send reverb to then a delay FX) but for my purpose as a monitor engineer I see no need. I'm always amazed by how little if any reverb for vocals I need with a good set of room mics. I'm equally amazed by how important reverb is on drums and other percussive instruments such as keys or even a sax.
  • Conversation Stats
    • Replies
    • Views
    • Kudos Given
    • Contributors