Recording

Re: XR12 Bus Routing

Contributor - Level 2
Surely a stereo TRS input on the Crown Will carry the two signals for main LR and monitors separately to left and right

Assuming the Crown actually has a stereo TRS input jack. Most PA power amps only have individual inputs for each channel. And you can't have a stereo TRS jack for proper balanced inputs that you would normally expect on a pro amp.

Edit The crown XTI series amps only seem to have XLR inputs. Smiley Tongue

Contributor - Level 2
Hello Again and thanks to all contributors, I can easily make a cable to sum both aux outs to one XLR in but it's not ideal, what we need is a software update so that several busses can be routed to one aux out. I'll put in a feature request.

Contributor - Level 2
Kevin Mooney;130219 wrote:
I I use one side of my power amp (Crown XTI) for FOH and the other side for monitors

Hi Kevin. This is what you told us so I'm still not clear why you need 2 buses into 1. You can achieve what you want by simply using bus/aux 1 for FOH connected to one side of your Crown, and bus/aux 2 for Monitors connected to the other. What am I missing?

Contributor - Level 2
Going back to your post #6 explaining why you want to be able to combine two Busses. If I have it right you are only needing to be mono for each of the two Crown input channels? Then can you not just pan all the FOH mix channels to Left so that the Left Main output feeds the FOH half of the amp. You can then use your two Bus mixes to feed the Right Main output only by panning the Busses to the Right only for the Monitor feed. Then the Bus master faders work to adjust the levels of Vox and Backing for the monitors.

Contributor - Level 2
The main problem here seems to be the mixing of the monitor mix, no issues with the FOH. All can be handled within the mixing app, not with modified cables (or modification to the XR12 ouputs). Here's how I'd do it, based on the provided details earlier (single stereo amp, each side used separately).

Vocal mic(s) : input 1 to 4, set channel(s) to taste, KEEP 'PAN' TO CENTER.

Back tracks : supposing a stereo source, use linked input 5&6 (XR12), set channel to taste, BRING THE 'PAN' BACK TO CENTER (this will create a mono mix of the stereo source).

Mixing app 'MAIN' (FOH) mix page : create desired FOH mix. Use XLR to XLR cable to connect Main Left Out -OR- Main Right Out to one side of amp for FOH speaker(s). Since all is panned center, both have same signal.

Mixing app 'BUS 1' mix page : create desired monitor mix (you can set levels of each mics and back track and even add effects). Using TRS to XLR cable to connect 'Aux1' (TRS on XR12) to other side of power amp for monitor speaker(s). All sources needed for the monitor mix are being controlled from that single 'BUS1' mix page (providing that Bus1 is assigned to Aux1).

Unless I missed something, this should do what is needed.

Contributor - Level 2
I believe that the OP needs to use two busses so that he has master group controls of the vocal mix level to monitors on one fader and the backing tracks on another. Thus the overall mix of the vocals versus backing can be simply altered for the send to the monitor speaker.
Highlighted

Contributor - Level 2
Stephan Y Roy;130500 wrote:
The main problem here seems to be the mixing of the monitor mix, no issues with the FOH. All can be handled within the mixing app, not with modified cables (or modification to the XR12 ouputs). Here's how I'd do it, based on the provided details earlier (single stereo amp, each side used separately).

Vocal mic(s) : input 1 to 4, set channel(s) to taste, KEEP 'PAN' TO CENTER.

Back tracks : supposing a stereo source, use linked input 5&6 (XR12), set channel to taste, BRING THE 'PAN' BACK TO CENTER (this will create a mono mix of the stereo source).

Mixing app 'MAIN' (FOH) mix page : create desired FOH mix. Use XLR to XLR cable to connect Main Left Out -OR- Main Right Out to one side of amp for FOH speaker(s). Since all is panned center, both have same signal.

Mixing app 'BUS 1' mix page : create desired monitor mix (you can set levels of each mics and back track and even add effects). Using TRS to XLR cable to connect 'Aux1' (TRS on XR12) to other side of power amp for monitor speaker(s). All sources needed for the monitor mix are being controlled from that single 'BUS1' mix page (providing that Bus1 is assigned to Aux1).

Unless I missed something, this should do what is needed.

I agree, no need for two monitor bus mixes as you can control the backing tracks with one fader anyway. Since you want to work in mono, as an alternative option you could leave FOH out altogether and just use the two bus/aux outputs, one for FOH and the other for monitors.

Contributor - Level 1

I have the same request (multiple busses to one output), for a different reason.  I'm using an MR12 (Midas version) in a 2-piece MIDI act.  We pump all of the instruments through the monitors, but to keep them from swamping the vocals, I prefer to use a bass cut on instruments like drums and bass.  That way, we still get enough of the sound to keep aware of what's going on, but the vocal mics stay front and center.  So, I would like to make say, Bus1 the straight (vocal) mix; and Bus2 the HPF mix for instruments.  The problem is, I still want both mixes going to the same place -- i.e., the vocal monitors.

The only workaround I've found is to use the input matrix to double-link instrument channels:

In1 -> CH1

In2 -> CH2

In3 -> CH3 + CH13

etc.

I set CH3, etc. to be flat EQ at normal volume; I set CH13 to HPF EQ at suitable monitor mix.  Works great, but it's limited to how many spare channels are left in the board.  And it's a bit of a POA, because if I make a level/EQ/etc. change in the 'main' channel, I need to mimic it in the 'monitor' channel.  Having a way to feed Bus2 back to Bus1; or to merge Bus1+Bus2 would simplify things.

Regards/

-BW

Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors