Contributor - Level 2

XR16 Output Routing Question

Hi folks. I am new to the forum. I am a total newbie with an X-Air mixers. In fact, even that's an understatement considering I just bought two of them and they haven't even arrived at my house yet LOL. But I am a computer techie, a musician, and a DJ, so I started reading right away when I new I would be getting them.

Right now I am using an Allen & Heath analog 16 channel mixer. Great piece of equipment but I want to go digital. About 4 years ago I had an full size X32 but I only had it a short time and never really learned the ins and outs of it. Got rid of it at the time because I just didn't have time to learn it.

I use QSC K-Series speakers. With the analog mixer I have three Mains outputs. I use one for the Left Main (top), one for the Right Main (top), and one for the subs (AUX send routed to that output). All the speakers have their own built-in crossovers and filters so I don't worry about that.

I want to be able to do the same thing with the XR16's I bought. I would like to have separate volume control for the Left Main, Right Main, and another output to send both the Left Main and Right Main, which would go to the subs and the subs would filter out what they need.

I understand the general concepts since I did have the X32 for a little while but I am clearly not sure how to accomplish what I described above. I would very much like some help knowing how to set that up since I am now mostly a wedding DJ and I have 30 weddings to do in 125 days starting on June 10th. I will be actually getting my XR16's Wednesday. I already have the X-Air app loaded on two of my Android tablets (Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 & Nvidia Shield K1). I also loaded it on my phone but everything is pretty small even though I have a Samsung Galaxy S8+.

I will be very grateful for help getting the three "Mains" outputs set up with separate volume control of all three. I know in theory I should be able to just mix the tops/subs mix and then leave it but my source files come from all over the place and they are not consistently produced. Not to mention that when doing weddings you are playing many different genres of music to keep everyone happy. Obviously you don't balance the bass the same for current hip-hop as you do for Michael Buble pop standards .

So bring on the help .......... P L E A S E .......... Thanks ............ Rob
RobGoldberg Contributor - Level 2 2017-05-29

2017-05-29

XR16 Output Routing Question

Hi folks. I am new to the forum. I am a total newbie with an X-Air mixers. In fact, even that's an understatement considering I just bought two of them and they haven't even arrived at my house yet LOL. But I am a computer techie, a musician, and a DJ, so I started reading right away when I new I would be getting them.

Right now I am using an Allen & Heath analog 16 channel mixer. Great piece of equipment but I want to go digital. About 4 years ago I had an full size X32 but I only had it a short time and never really learned the ins and outs of it. Got rid of it at the time because I just didn't have time to learn it.

I use QSC K-Series speakers. With the analog mixer I have three Mains outputs. I use one for the Left Main (top), one for the Right Main (top), and one for the subs (AUX send routed to that output). All the speakers have their own built-in crossovers and filters so I don't worry about that.

I want to be able to do the same thing with the XR16's I bought. I would like to have separate volume control for the Left Main, Right Main, and another output to send both the Left Main and Right Main, which would go to the subs and the subs would filter out what they need.

I understand the general concepts since I did have the X32 for a little while but I am clearly not sure how to accomplish what I described above. I would very much like some help knowing how to set that up since I am now mostly a wedding DJ and I have 30 weddings to do in 125 days starting on June 10th. I will be actually getting my XR16's Wednesday. I already have the X-Air app loaded on two of my Android tablets (Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 & Nvidia Shield K1). I also loaded it on my phone but everything is pretty small even though I have a Samsung Galaxy S8+.

I will be very grateful for help getting the three "Mains" outputs set up with separate volume control of all three. I know in theory I should be able to just mix the tops/subs mix and then leave it but my source files come from all over the place and they are not consistently produced. Not to mention that when doing weddings you are playing many different genres of music to keep everyone happy. Obviously you don't balance the bass the same for current hip-hop as you do for Michael Buble pop standards .

So bring on the help .......... P L E A S E .......... Thanks ............ Rob

• 0 Kudos
  • 4 Replies
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: XR16 Output Routing Question

Rob Goldberg;124659 wrote:

I think the closest you can get is to send all left and mono channels in Sub Group mode to say Bus 1, all right and mono channels to Bus 2 and all channels to Bus 3. Then use Aux 1/2 instead of Main L/R for the Main output and Aux3 for the sub.

I don't know how panned mono channels behave in this setup, though. Please, try when the XRs have arrived and report back.

Maybe you want to give this feature request a vote, too:

https://forum.music-group.com/showthread.php?7615-Toggle-Aux-6-to-behave-as-a-Bus-or-a-Mono-sum-tied...
Contributor - Level 2

Not at my XR18 atm, but this is pretty simple. Let's say you want to dedicate the XLR AUX outputs 5 and 6 to your subs. What you would do is route Main LR to AUX 5 and 6 (while leaving the Main LR out also to the actual physical Main LR out).

Try this in OFFLINE mode for the Android phone XR app.
-- Select the Routing tab (the up and down arrows in the upper right corner.
-- Select Output.
-- Under the Outputs, select Aux 5
-- Under Source, select Main L
-- repeat for Aux 6 and Main R

This is easier to visualize using the PC XR Edit app. You'd go under Setup (iirc), Routing, Output, and change the default route of Bus 5 and Bus 6 going to AUX/XLR 5 and 6. You'd make it so that Main L/R would go to AUX 5 and 6 instead.

You'll figure it out, it's pretty logical once you know where to look.

Another option is to simply treat the problem like it stage monitor issue. In other words, similar how you would dedicate one of the XLR outs to a vocal wedge on stage by selecting Bus 1 and turning up the faders for those channels you want the vocalist to hear in his monitor, you'd instead select which channels you want to go to your sub by selecting Bus 5 and turning up those faders. HTH
Super Contributor - Level 2

Andrew Shaw;124668 wrote:
Not at my XR18 atm, but this is pretty simple.

Actually, it isn't Smiley Wink

Andrew Shaw;124668 wrote:

Let's say you want to dedicate the XLR AUX outputs 5 and 6 to your subs. What you would do is route Main LR to AUX 5 and 6 (while leaving the Main LR out also to the actual physical Main LR out).

This was my first idea, too. But it's not what he's looking for as this way he'll just get a second pair of Main L/R outputs that are still controlled by the Main LR fader. He won't get a seperate fader for Main L and Main R and he won't get a mono sum with a seperate fader either.

To get seperate faders you need to route the signal you want to a bus (that is routed to some Aux output) and use the bus faders (Utility->Buses) to control the output level.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Thank you everyone for the replies. Some good ideas. The units will arrive some time tomorrow and then I will get to start playing with your suggestions.

Looking forward to having continued participation in this forum.

Rob