Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

XR18 Wifi access point with TouchDAW, QMidiNet, Reaper

Hi,

I was wondering if I missed something, or if this really just doesn't work. I'm using Reaper on an Elitebook running Linux Mint 18 to record multitracks from the XR18, primarily in our rehearsal studio using the internal access point of the XR18. I tried to get TouchDAW working with that setup using QMidiNet, and while setting things up using my Wifi at home (Fritzbox 4790) everything works fine.

When I switch over to the access point of the XR18 though, my tablet can't connect to QMidiNet on my Laptop, which leads me to believe that the XR18 doesn't allow wifi devices to communicate with each other. Either that, or the communication is blocked in some other way by the XR18. I tried different Wifis (the Fritzbox, the AVM access point I have at home, even using an wifi access point on my phone), the problem only occurs with the XR18-access point.

Was anyone of you guys successful with a similar setup using the internal access point? I'd hate to have to use an external router just for that, because for our normal usage it's simply not needed, the XR18's access point works flawless in our environment.

Thanks.
NilsHoven Contributor - Level 2 2016-09-16

2016-09-16

XR18 Wifi access point with TouchDAW, QMidiNet, Reaper

Hi,

I was wondering if I missed something, or if this really just doesn't work. I'm using Reaper on an Elitebook running Linux Mint 18 to record multitracks from the XR18, primarily in our rehearsal studio using the internal access point of the XR18. I tried to get TouchDAW working with that setup using QMidiNet, and while setting things up using my Wifi at home (Fritzbox 4790) everything works fine.

When I switch over to the access point of the XR18 though, my tablet can't connect to QMidiNet on my Laptop, which leads me to believe that the XR18 doesn't allow wifi devices to communicate with each other. Either that, or the communication is blocked in some other way by the XR18. I tried different Wifis (the Fritzbox, the AVM access point I have at home, even using an wifi access point on my phone), the problem only occurs with the XR18-access point.

Was anyone of you guys successful with a similar setup using the internal access point? I'd hate to have to use an external router just for that, because for our normal usage it's simply not needed, the XR18's access point works flawless in our environment.

Thanks.

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Re: XR18 Wifi access point with TouchDAW, QMidiNet, Reaper

An access point is not a LAN, to do what you want to do you will need an external wireless router.
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Nils,

you are quite right, the internal AP oder the XR18 does not have routing functinality. Basically there is a major difference between a simple access point and a router. So while you can connect multiple devices to the mixer itself, it will not route any traffic between your devices. Can't be done, you will need to use an external one, sorry Smiley Sad
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Okay, thanks for the confirmation, I was worried I did something wrong and couldn't find it.