XR18 & Feedback Suppression

Contributor - Level 2
Hi. I'm in the process of replacing our band's old 'washing machine' (rack mixer & various outboard Gubbins in a rolling flight case) with the XR18 in a more portable rack case. Have the XR18, getting used to it and very impressed/excited.

For convenience we currently have two Behringer feedback suppressors handling four auxes to stage monitors.

Is there anyway I can accomplish a similar 'set and forget' system with the XR18, or would I still need to use a dedicated FBQ of some sort?

Not all gigs are big enough for a sound guy, and I'm wary that giving monitor power to the players might result in more on stage feedback.
49 REPLIES 49

Re: XR18 & Feedback Suppression

Volunteer Moderator
There is no way of feedback supression on the x-series so so keep those fbq's.

There are many users requesting feedback supression so hopfully it will become a future feature.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!

Contributor - Level 2
Thank you. I'll have to rethink the rack a bit for now, but fingers crossed!

Contributor - Level 2
I think that's why they included the 31 band GEQ and/or parametrics on the outputs. The old-fashioned way is to ring-out the system and manually notch out your main feedback nodes. The GEQ does that just fine. If your ears aren't well tuned, the RTA function will show you where to notch.

Contributor - Level 2
Thanks for that - I'm not too bad at doing it that way, I'd just got used to not having to so much. A bit out of practise I guess. Plus there's always the time during a gig without a sound guy that something changes and you're stuffed.

Contributor - Level 3
We also replaced our washing machine for xr 18, and to the astonishment we realized that DEQ2496 and FBQ6200 ..: not are needed
Gabriele

Contributor - Level 2
Another big source of feedback are those stage monitors. Replace them with IEM's and you lighten the load and not need additional FB help. If your using a crossover unit such as a Driverack PA+ you also have some help.

Contributor - Level 2
I plan to run in ears as soon as the iPhone/iPod monitor app is built.

Contributor - Level 2
Eric Broviak;48058 wrote:
The old-fashioned way is to ring-out the system and manually notch out your main feedback nodes.

I love it when proper audio engineering is referred to as "the old-fashioned way". Honestly, as others noted, with a 31-band GEQ and especially with the built in RTA, you should be able to easily identify and eliminate problem frequencies. Couple this with proper gain structure and you shouldn't have issues. Honestly, developing the ability to identify frequencies in feedback and setup proper gain structure are both very good skills to have for both musicians and audio engineers. Neither is old-fashioned.
Highlighted

Piano Man
Dear all,

we are considering to add an automatic Feedback Suppressor in the future. We just developed a brand new and intelligent algorithm that basically requires no controls or adjustment.

However this is only planned for a later release date, hence we ask for patience.

Warm regards

Uli
Uli Behringer Music Tribe Leader