Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

XR18 routing question / routing into a live streaming platform

Hi there, I purchased an XR18 about 5 months ago for live performances and I love it.
I thought I had figured out how the internal routing worked, but I think I really only understand the live aspect and the USB return is throwing me for a bit of a loop.

Maybe what I'm trying to do isn't possible, and that's totally okay.
In my spare time I want to try and use my XR18 with its built in effects in my home studio for one purpose. I do live streaming song requests on a platform called Twitch. I sing and play guitar to a list of songs I have memorized and the software I'm using to stream is called OBS.
I'm running quite a few things on my Windows computer to add sound processing and effects so I'd like for that to come from the XR18 and that's why I want to use it.

My problem is that I cant for the life of me figure out the routing through the USB to the computer. I currently have USB audio coming in from the computer through my 16th channel as a playback to my speakers (MAIN LR). I used this for live performances and so when I pulled it into the studio it was ready to go. But now I have 4 channels of vocals, pedals, drum machine and guitar I want to input into OBS through the XR18.
So how do I route audio into the XR18 on a channel to hear the PC sounds, and then also send audio to a program like OBS for recording purposes.

The secondary problem is I think this might be a problem with OBS, as I have the interface set up with ProTools, Reaper and Logic to work just fine as an in and out.
But I can't for the life of me figure out how to get audio into OBS through the XR18.
Maybe it's that OBS isn't a daw?

If anyone has any help or suggestions I'll take it.
Sorry for the novel of a post.
Thanks in advance!
TrevorConduff Contributor - Level 1 2017-04-27

2017-04-27

XR18 routing question / routing into a live streaming platform

Hi there, I purchased an XR18 about 5 months ago for live performances and I love it.
I thought I had figured out how the internal routing worked, but I think I really only understand the live aspect and the USB return is throwing me for a bit of a loop.

In my spare time I want to try and use my XR18 with its built in effects in my home studio for one purpose. I do live streaming song requests on a platform called Twitch. I sing and play guitar to a list of songs I have memorized and the software I'm using to stream is called OBS.
I'm running quite a few things on my Windows computer to add sound processing and effects so I'd like for that to come from the XR18 and that's why I want to use it.

My problem is that I cant for the life of me figure out the routing through the USB to the computer. I currently have USB audio coming in from the computer through my 16th channel as a playback to my speakers (MAIN LR). I used this for live performances and so when I pulled it into the studio it was ready to go. But now I have 4 channels of vocals, pedals, drum machine and guitar I want to input into OBS through the XR18.
So how do I route audio into the XR18 on a channel to hear the PC sounds, and then also send audio to a program like OBS for recording purposes.

The secondary problem is I think this might be a problem with OBS, as I have the interface set up with ProTools, Reaper and Logic to work just fine as an in and out.
But I can't for the life of me figure out how to get audio into OBS through the XR18.
Maybe it's that OBS isn't a daw?

If anyone has any help or suggestions I'll take it.
Sorry for the novel of a post.
Thanks in advance!

• 0 Kudos
  • 4 Replies
Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

Re: XR18 routing question / routing into a live streaming platform

Check out Dante-via from Audinate.

There are some free alternatives available like Jack but with dante you can also pull in audio from different computers as well and their gui is great and intuitive.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

Trevor Conduff;122582 wrote:

...!

Tried it. OBS, for some reason, does not like the XR18 asio driver. Or, OBS is somehow listening for hw in front the driver and trying to hook that, but does not find. I noticed their blog on one thread where they resisted ASIO for some reason. Using Dante does work and allowed me to get the Mic input working. Had to Enable ASIO in Dante. Then the X18 ASIO driver will appear under Sources. Drag that over to OBS and make sure Mic input is set to the Dante Via Receive. You should start see signal on the Mic and can record.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Maybe OBS don't use it because it is proprietary to Steinburg. Quote from Wiki

" Being a proprietary protocol, compatibility with Windows-based DAW and other recording software is not universal. For example, the user manual of the Audacity audio editor states: "Licensing restrictions prevent us including ASIO support in released versions of Audacity, but Audacity can be compiled with ASIO support for private, non-distributable use."
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

William Stacey;122612 wrote:
Tried it. OBS, for some reason, does not like the XR18 asio driver. Or, OBS is somehow listening for hw in front the driver and trying to hook that, but does not find. I noticed their blog on one thread where they resisted ASIO for some reason. Using Dante does work and allowed me to get the Mic input working. Had to Enable ASIO in Dante. Then the X18 ASIO driver will appear under Sources. Drag that over to OBS and make sure Mic input is set to the Dante Via Receive. You should start see signal on the Mic and can record.

Hey so did you get it working? I literally just got my XR18 today (Wow it's amazing! Where has this thing been all my life ). I've been jamming just with the inbuilt effects today and it's so much fun with even just a guitar!

Managed to get it working solid in Ableton Live, both sending and receiving to the XR18, but like you said I'm struggling to get anything in OBS. I downloaded Dante Via free trial just to try it, and although I can see OBS and the XR18 in it I don't think I've configured it right cos I still can't get any audio coming through.

Is there a way to just get the LR main mix from XR18 straight into OBS? I'd be happy with that....