Highlighted

Xair-16 Recording in to Microsoft Surface Pro

Contributor - Level 2
Hello,
When using my Xair-16 I have the ethernet port connected to a wifi router and a laptop also plugged into the router. This is my "hard wired" backup in case I have connection problems with my tablet during a gig. I typically use my Microsoft Surface Pro as a wireless tablet to adjust the mixer settings. I like being able to use the PC software instead of the tablet app.

So, my question is;
Is it possible to record what's playing through the mixer on to my Surface Pro? (It's only connected through the wifi network created by my router, not the built in access point)
If so, what do I need to do to make that happen?

Thanks,
Willie
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Xair-16 Recording in to Microsoft Surface Pro

Volunteer Moderator
Hi William,

Unfortunately your explanation is a bit confusing. What are you plugging USB into wifi? Did you mean connecting the XR16 ethernet to the wifi? The USB port on the XR16 can only be used with a USB stick.

How are you connecting the audio out of the Surface Pro to the XR16, via the Aux In (1/4" jacks)? If so, yes you can play from the Surface Pro while recording to the USB stick.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator

Contributor - Level 2
Sorry Paul, I meant to say I have the ethernet port plugged into the router. I have a thumb drive in the USB port. I've edited my description. Sorry for the confusion.
Willie

Contributor - Level 2
There is no direct to device recording option on the XAir 16 the only built in recording function in the 16 is to a usb flash drive and it’s only 2 channels like main R/L. If you want that type of recording from a computer to the XAir you need the XAir 18 it’s the only unit in the XAir line that has the multi channel recording interface to a computer over usb!

Contributor - Level 2
If I just want to record the "entire" mix coming from the Mains, can I just use the Ear Phones jack and connect it to the mic jack on my computer? I would be using Audacity recording software.
I'm not interested in recording separate tracks, just the overall mix that you would hear coming out of a PA system.
Thanks for any advice.

Volunteer Moderator
William Panto;156965 wrote:
If I just want to record the "entire" mix coming from the Mains, can I just use the Ear Phones jack and connect it to the mic jack on my computer?

Yes you can do that William as long as someone doesn't solo a channel or channels.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator

Contributor - Level 3
But why not just record the same onto a USB stick plugged into the XR16 as Gerald suggested?