X32 full size, running V 3.07, bought in sept 2016
IP : 192.168.1.20
Subnet mask : 255.255.255.0
Gateway : 192.168.1.19
DHCP off

iPad MC769C/A with V 9.3.5
X32Mix V3.0.0

SonicPoint NE router, model APL21-06E, configured to only use 5 GHz

Works well for exactly one minute, then drops the connection and shows "Listening..." in red, indefinitely. Turning Wifi OFF, then ON, on the iPad, will restore connection for another minute.

Same setup was working fine juste a few weeks ago.

Thanks!
EricDesrochers Contributor - Level 2 2017-01-12

2017-01-12

iPad drops connection after a minute

Hello all!

X32 full size, running V 3.07, bought in sept 2016
IP : 192.168.1.20
Subnet mask : 255.255.255.0
Gateway : 192.168.1.19
DHCP off

iPad MC769C/A with V 9.3.5
X32Mix V3.0.0

SonicPoint NE router, model APL21-06E, configured to only use 5 GHz

Works well for exactly one minute, then drops the connection and shows "Listening..." in red, indefinitely. Turning Wifi OFF, then ON, on the iPad, will restore connection for another minute.

Same setup was working fine juste a few weeks ago.

Thanks!

• 0 Kudos
  • 23 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Re: iPad drops connection after a minute

Sounds like maybe the iPad is losing connection to the router. When it drops, check to make sure you show a WiFi connection on the iPad. I've run into this occasionally, but it's typically been at specific venues, so I assume WiFi traffic is the culprit. It seems to happen most in areas where there are multiple hot spots available, which would support my high traffic thought.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Yes maybe the iPad finds an alternative that it thinks is better or it is looking for an internet connection. Is there anyway on an iPad to lock it to one Wifi connection, forget the rest and stop searching?
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Hello. When it happens, the actual wifi signal is not lost, I still have 3/3 bars on the iPad.

In the meantine, my IT dept got me another iPad and it seem to be working fine. I'll retry the same unit later, once an update to iOS or the X32mix app is available and installed. This may be a strange gremiln somewhere and we want to know! Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

But, are you sure that your old ipad didn't connect to different wifi network?
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Hello

I have the same problem, we have a X32 about 3 year from the beginning we use the x32-Q for the musicians control the IEM and the FOH use the x32-mix and never have any connections problem with 6-8 wireless devices connected to the mixer.
Last week I updated to the last firmware version, and the problems begin, I already tried revert the firmware but the problem continues now.

In my opinion it's a firmware problem and needs to be fixed very soon
Highlighted
Super Contributor - Level 2

Tiago Macieira;92709 wrote:
Hello

I have the same problem, we have a X32 about 3 year from the beginning we use the x32-Q for the musicians control the IEM and the FOH use the x32-mix and never have any connections problem with 6-8 wireless devices connected to the mixer.
Last week I updated to the last firmware version, and the problems begin, I already tried revert the firmware but the problem continues now.

In my opinion it's a firmware problem and needs to be fixed very soon

I would guess that since the problem followed you even when you reverted to the older firmware where it had been working fine, that it might be the network setting on the X32. When you updated the firmware it might have changed that setting and when you reverted it didn’t change it back to what you used to have set to. Do you have written down what your network setting on the X32 used to be? I have found when networking these consoles it works best if it is set to a static IP address. And the first set of numbers like 192.168.0.1 (octets) the numbers before the last decimal point or dot need to match your routes IP address. And the Subnet mask address on the X32 needs to be 255.255.255.0

I think at least one time I found that if I changed to the X32 to DCHP and let it find the network address when the router was turned on first and then I switched it to static that if found the neighborhood where the IP address needed to be. The bottom left encoder where you see DCHP lit is how you change it to static. If you press the encoder and it is no longer lit orange then you are in static mode. I am doing this all from memory so I how I have it correct. I don’t have a mixer here to confirm this at the moment.

They discuss this in this thread.
https://forum.music-group.com/showthread.php?7572-New-to-X32-Setup-wireless-question

Short video with some instructions it is for the M32 but they work exactly the same as the X32.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ksWrZFKws0
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks Kevin for hour help

But this is not a network problem I know how setup and I don't use DHCP even in my computer's.
When a make the upgrade I setup the network , with many "try to connect" after a days a decided downgrade and again setup the network but the problem persist.
The firmware updates as the only change on the equation
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Hello. So the second iPad is droping the connection with the X32, just like the first iPad did. We are now suspecting the wireless router, which is a model "known to act up" according to our IT guy...

What nice router would be recommanded by the users of the X32 for this task, which not only is doing 5 GHz but can be locked to work on 5 GHz exclusively.

Thanks a lot!
Highlighted
Valued Contributor - Level 2

Eric Desrochers;93516 wrote:

What nice router would be recommanded by the users of the X32 for this task, which not only is doing 5 GHz but can be locked to work on 5 GHz exclusively.

I would instead recommend a router that operates multiple concurrent SSIDs so that you can select between them from the wireless client. A single broken radio-circuit in an audience phone or tablet may render a channel useless and you don't want to have to reconfigure your router during a show. At large venues I use a network of dual-band APs, usually 2 on stage and one at/near the FOH mixing position. My compact solution is a single Netgear Nighthawk X6 router. This has a tri-band radio, operating one AP in the 2.4GHz range and two in the 5GHz band. The 5GHz APs can be set either as two distinct SSIDs or as a shared SSID on two separate channels for clients able to hunt for the best connection available.

Despite my efforts to provide the most reliable wifi possible I always have my primary mixing surface wired to the net.