Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

m32, X32 S16 and midas DL16 compatibilities

I own a X32 and very happy about it.
I was having look at the new Midas M32. Both consoles seems to be realy similar except design faders, true original Midas preamp and maybe more dsp capabilities for 96khz working (or maybe the x32 could do it but just limited for marketing purpose).

I m realy intresting of the benefite of the midas preamp. But i realise that even if im buying an M32 i will not have any benefit of the built in midas preamp as im using most of the time my 2 S16 stagebox and i will have also to buy 2 new midas DL16 stagebox do be logical.

My question is : Is the new MIDAS DL16 stagebox will be compable with the x32? That will be a good way to make a new step on my live mix without invest on a M32 ? What about the sound difference btw S16 and DL16 ?

BrunoDalo Contributor - Level 2 2014-08-14

2014-08-14

m32, X32 S16 and midas DL16 compatibilities

I own a X32 and very happy about it.
I was having look at the new Midas M32. Both consoles seems to be realy similar except design faders, true original Midas preamp and maybe more dsp capabilities for 96khz working (or maybe the x32 could do it but just limited for marketing purpose).

I m realy intresting of the benefite of the midas preamp. But i realise that even if im buying an M32 i will not have any benefit of the built in midas preamp as im using most of the time my 2 S16 stagebox and i will have also to buy 2 new midas DL16 stagebox do be logical.

My question is : Is the new MIDAS DL16 stagebox will be compable with the x32? That will be a good way to make a new step on my live mix without invest on a M32 ? What about the sound difference btw S16 and DL16 ?

• 0 Kudos
  • 13 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: m32, X32 S16 and midas DL16 compatibilities

Please someone from Behringer chime in here. We are discussing and considering the exact same purchaces.
Volunteer Moderator

It has been said that both eco systems should be interchangable.

However, until the actual product(s) are released there is no 100% of telling.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!
Valued Contributor - Level 2

Unlike other Midas stage box's this looks just like the S16 with Midas logo. I would think it will surely operate to the m32 spec of 96/48 and very likely would work on the 48 setting for the x32. It would also seem to me to be a good marketing ploy if they have them compatible as well. Then a 'true' Midas preamp would sit easily alongside the midas designed preamp-an 'upgrade' for a certain $ investment (surely more than an S16) if someone was willing to spend it. It would lend credence to the new Behringer high quality image and lend flexibility to the Midas line. I read the M32 is not shipping right off with 96k but will be an upgrade down the road which would indicate their own box will run at 48 now (and the S16 will also work with it)
Contributor - Level 3

Early sales info for the X32 also said 96k ready. Preamp, fader, and a slightly faster CPU is the only advertised difference thus far.
That and the cooler looks and the EQ knobs all in a row. If it is all worth 2.2k more to you and 800 more for each DL16, go for the whole enchilada.
"Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of, who do the things that no one can imagine"
Contributor - Level 3

Glenn Adams;29486 wrote:
Early sales info for the X32 also said 96k ready. Preamp, fader, and a slightly faster CPU is the only advertised difference thus far.
That and the cooler looks and the EQ knobs all in a row. If it is all worth 2.2k more to you and 800 more for each DL16, go for the whole enchilada.

Slightly faster CPU? Didn't know that, is it the housekeeping processor you are referring to?
Contributor - Level 3

Per Sovik;29490 wrote:
Slightly faster CPU? Didn't know that, is it the housekeeping processor you are referring to?

Yes , just the CPU not the DSP. I could guess that since they had the hood up they may have given it a bit more RAM also.
"Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of, who do the things that no one can imagine"
Contributor - Level 3

If they in fact have given it a better/faster housekeeping cpu and some ram, there might be a possibility for the theatre people getting the 1000 scenes they are asking for.
Volunteer Moderator

Per Sovik;29508 wrote:
If they in fact have given it a better/faster housekeeping cpu and some ram, there might be a possibility for the theatre people getting the 1000 scenes they are asking for.

The scenes are stored on a seperate partiton on the flash card. However the the flash card is only 128mb and the fixed partition can only hold the 100 scenes.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 3

OK, Robert, so the scene limitation can be overcome by the firmware detecting the size of the flash card and allowing more scenes if a bigger card is detected? If they could do it like that, and the M32 already have a bigger flashcard ( 512 MB today cost about the same as 128MB when the X32 came out), and if they make such features dependant on the size of memory, not model, the rest of us have the possibility to get the features by upgrading memory (card). Possibly?

Supposedly, the M32 is more service-friendly, so there is half a chance of some internal spy shots in the near future.
Any paparazzi with a M32 nearby?