Contributor - Level 2

new user - question on M32 board configuration

I am trying to figure out and verify how the board at our church is / was setup (by someone else who is not there any more)

I've attached the saved scene file.

I have several questions, the first is

I was told to have a 'monitor' of what is going through house in our Foyer, we were out of 'sends', so the local board monitor was split for left and right. so that left is the Foyer, and right is the local board monitor (headphones). the problem with this is volume, and if the board operator chooses to listen to a single channel/input, then that is what the Foyer hears too.

the question - given all the settings currently in use, is there another available 'out' that could be used for the Foyer ?

thanks.
Tags (1)
JasonBrowne Contributor - Level 2 2017-05-11

2017-05-11

new user - question on M32 board configuration

I am trying to figure out and verify how the board at our church is / was setup (by someone else who is not there any more)

I've attached the saved scene file.

I have several questions, the first is

I was told to have a 'monitor' of what is going through house in our Foyer, we were out of 'sends', so the local board monitor was split for left and right. so that left is the Foyer, and right is the local board monitor (headphones). the problem with this is volume, and if the board operator chooses to listen to a single channel/input, then that is what the Foyer hears too.

the question - given all the settings currently in use, is there another available 'out' that could be used for the Foyer ?

thanks.

• 0 Kudos
  • 4 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Re: new user - question on M32 board configuration

You have spare mtxs and spare aux out sockets. Crunch LR to a single matrix, route that matrix to one of the TRS aux outs on the rear of the console, and feed the foyer from here.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Welcome to the Forum Jason. I have a Question and a possible Resolve. to your Needing
another Bus for the Foyer. I've Looked at your Scene and it appears all Six of you Matrices
have the Exact Same Mix? That being said it Seems that you could Take One of the
Matrices, Connect Its Output with a Y Connector therefore Freeing Up a Bus to be Used
as the Foyer Bus. That should Work for you Jason.

Cheerfully

Michael
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

thank you both for replying.

"Crunch LR" ?

I don't know why the person setup the matrices that way.
And, I suspected the aux outs were not being all used.

I will try your suggestions.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

"Crunch" LR: The "technical" term for summing L+R to a single signal.

IME due to the wide variety of physical dimensions, acoustic profiles and speaker placement arrangements presented by foyers, they tend to work best when fed a mono signal. If you only feed the left side of LR to the foyer people in the foyer might miss some content (eg the signals that are panned hard right.) For this reason L+R should be summed to a single bus. This is what the matracies are for. If you were to stereo-link mtx1+2 you'd end up with L going to mtx1 and R going to mtx2. If you then wanted to sum them you'd need a y-cable outside the mixer, but that's a bad idea. Instead if you feed L&R to a single (non st-linked) matrix (eg only mtx1,) the mtx will do the summing for you, and you won't run into the issues mentioned in the article above.