Mixing

This page is dedicated to the art of mixing. Join other producers and recording engineers and discuss mixing techniques, your favorite software, equipment and more!

Highlighted

x-live recorder overwriting files

Contributor - Level 2
I've started using the x-live card to record live performances and in the X-Live FAQ it says that files will not be overwritten. However twice now I've recording individual sets performed during the same evening. I've hit record and then stop after each performance and seen that a recording has been made. However when I get home I find that only the very last recording remains on the card(s) and has overwritten the previous. That's not what I expected and not what happens on the USB recorder either. Is there a checkbox or something in the recorder screen that I can't see that allows overwrites? It's odd behaviour.

Thanks, Paul.
Tags (1)
13 REPLIES 13

Re: x-live recorder overwriting files

Volunteer Moderator
This happens if the x32 builtin battery has been discharged.

The reason being that the clock stops working and it is used to name the x-live files. Since the clock has stopped the filenames becomes the same.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!

Contributor - Level 3
Robert Lofgren;157677 wrote:

The reason being that the clock stops working and it is used to name the x-live files. Since the clock has stopped the filenames becomes the same.

Does this mean that his clock in the X32 will be displaying the wrong date and time and be stuck on that date and time and not moving? Or would it show no date and time? So a word of caution would be to keep an eye on the clock to see if it is working properly.

What else other things then dealing with the date and time does the internal battery do?

Volunteer Moderator
The clock would stop at an inital factory date/time. This is not visible on the apps and you need to check on the actual x32 itself.

I recently encountered the same issue with one of my x32-rack.

I’ve asked for a better handling of a depleted battery and some error message.

Kevin Maxwell;157679 wrote:
Does this mean that his clock in the X32 will be displaying the wrong date and time and be stuck on that date and time and not moving? Or would it show no date and time? So a word of caution would be to keep an eye on the clock to see if it is working properly.

What else other things then dealing with the date and time does the internal battery do?
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!

Contributor - Level 2
Robert Lofgren;157677 wrote:

Robert, thank you. That makes total sense but it hadn't even occurred to me. I'll check the battery and look to replace asap. Thanks for your help.

Paul.

Super Contributor - Level 2
X32-Edit has the Time and Date 'sync mixer' tab on the setup/mixer page which I have gotten into the habit of doing, not sure if that can set a mixer clock with a dead battery though and it of course would not hold past shut down anyway but may help on a given session? It forces the mixer to sync with the computer (internet) date and time I think.

Contributor - Level 2
Right thread at the right time...
This has been driving me mad for the few weeks I've owned and since I installed the x-live card. I recorded a rehearsal and two of our live shows. And everytime I switched the x32 on afterwards, only the last session was on the card. Also, the sessions were named something like "0000.00000", no date or time stamp. This is with a x32 CORE.
Do you know of any other reasons for this behaviour, apart from the dead internal battery and could anybody tell me where I can find this battery inside the CORE, what type it is and how to exchange it?
Thanks a lot!

Stefan

Edit: Nevermind, I found this older thread:
https://forum.musictribe.com/showthread.php?13048-Does-X32-Core-have-a-battery-to-maintain-its-inter...
Now I only have to open my unit and change the battery. Thanks anyway! Smiley Wink

Contributor - Level 2
Hm, it seems I was too excited too soon...
After switching the battery inside the Core twice now, I still get the same behaviour, that is all sessions get named the same (000000.0000) and the last one gets overwritten.
I put the x-live card in a new X32 Rack and voilà, everything works as expected. Sessions get named accordingly (date:time).
It‘s highly unlikely that all the batteries I tried in the Core are dead (I bought new ones.)
So, does anybody have any other ideas, what could cause the problem? Thanks a lot!

Stefan

Volunteer Moderator
Hi Stefan,

Did you also set the time in the X32 Core? Changing the battery only retains the clock setting.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator

Contributor - Level 2
Paul Vannatto;159434 wrote:
Hi Stefan,

Did you also set the time in the X32 Core? Changing the battery only retains the clock setting.

Hi Paul,
yes, I did via X32-Edit (Win10).
Another strange thing: I assigned the four buttons on the front of the Core to transport control of the SD Recorder (Play/Pause; Stop; Record; Add Marker) using „Assign A“ via Edit, but they don’t work. Assigning other functions actually does work.
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors