Contributor - Level 3

Behringer Bass Driver DI BDI21 Output, Info?

I'm looking for some info on the Behringer BDI21 Bass Driver. It has one 1/4" and one XLR output. Does it output line level or instrument level? -10dBV or +4 dBu? The manual, unfortunately is skimpy and doesn't tell much. I also tried to drive two different sets of headphones with the 1/4" output and the BDI21 sounded very weak, as if it wasn't made to drive headphones. One, a Sony Stereo MDR-V600, 45 ohm impedance and the other a Radio Shack, impedance unknown. This unit has been out for over 10 years and I couldn't find even one reference to the BDI21 Bass Driver on these forums. How could that be? Any info would be appreciated.

ThomasAlexander Contributor - Level 3 2019-10-08

2019-10-08

Behringer Bass Driver DI BDI21 Output, Info?

I'm looking for some info on the Behringer BDI21 Bass Driver. It has one 1/4" and one XLR output. Does it output line level or instrument level? -10dBV or +4 dBu? The manual, unfortunately is skimpy and doesn't tell much. I also tried to drive two different sets of headphones with the 1/4" output and the BDI21 sounded very weak, as if it wasn't made to drive headphones. One, a Sony Stereo MDR-V600, 45 ohm impedance and the other a Radio Shack, impedance unknown. This unit has been out for over 10 years and I couldn't find even one reference to the BDI21 Bass Driver on these forums. How could that be? Any info would be appreciated.

• 0 Kudos
  • 6 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Re: Behringer Bass Driver DI BDI21 Output, Info?

Replying only cuz I'm a new member and a fan of the BDI-21.

The 1/4" output is line level, suitable for plugging into a mixer or amplifier. Don't know the level. It's good for relatively short runs due to higher levels of impedance. 

The XLR is only good for devices with balanced inputs such as to the mixing board a long distance away. One problem I've observed with that output is that it seems very low. I recall sound guys having to crank their gain to see the signal at the board. 

Apart from that, I was astounded at the tone I got from my Spector when plugged directly into my amp.

View solution in original post

Triber

Hi.

I don't personally know anything about the bass driver pedal (other than I own one myself), so I cannot say anything about the specifications, unfortunately.
All I can say is that it's not meant for use with headphones directly. Most guitar and bass pedals are not. 
Something like the SpectraDrive pedal is, but that's a whole other price range (but it sounds great if you ask me).

So, run the Bass Driver pedal through a mixer or the DI into your sound card and then you should get a lot better headphone sound.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help..
/Lars

Lars Frederiksen | Triber, Music Tribe Community Guidelines | FAQs
Triber

Hi.

I don't personally know anything technically about the bass driver pedal (other than I own one myself), so I cannot say anything about the specifications, unfortunately.
All I can say is that it's not meant for use with headphones directly. Most guitar and bass pedals are not. 
Something like the SpectraDrive pedal is (has a dedicated headphones out), but that's a whole other price range (but it does sound great if you ask me). 

So, run the Bass Driver pedal through a mixer or the DI into your sound card and then you should get a lot better headphone sound.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help..
/Lars

Triber

Wierd, I tried to edit my comment, but it just got posted as a second comment.. 
Now you get to read both edits

Contributor - Level 3

Hi Lars,

That SpectraDrive pedal does look nice. For what they charge, it looks like they give you more for your money than the product that the BDI21 is based on. Of course, the BDI21 is in a whole other league when it comes to great value.

I get your point about the BDI21 not being made for driving headphones. After all, headphones are basically little speakers. I found some old notes on my PC about the four signal levels in the audio world (which I had forgotten) and it went something like this: mic, instrument, line and speaker, from weakest to strongest. So I guess I can't fault the little Behringer in this case. Anyway, the BDI21 is very new to me, but already I can get a sense of it's tone shaping abilities. I have a mixer and UMC404HD interface, so thanks for the recommendations.

Tom

Contributor - Level 3

For anyone with one of these Behringer preamps (or even the ADI21 and GDI21), they pair nicely with an inexpensive headphone amp (which I had laying around) like the Monoprice 611500 Mini Headphone Amplifier for Guitar. I have the clean version, which is good, as it let's the BDI21 do the tone shaping. Mine was obtained for under $10US. This thing is very small and plugs directly (no cables required) into the 1/4" out of the BDI21. I would think one of the Behringer headphone amps would do nicely also.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Replying only cuz I'm a new member and a fan of the BDI-21.

The 1/4" output is line level, suitable for plugging into a mixer or amplifier. Don't know the level. It's good for relatively short runs due to higher levels of impedance. 

The XLR is only good for devices with balanced inputs such as to the mixing board a long distance away. One problem I've observed with that output is that it seems very low. I recall sound guys having to crank their gain to see the signal at the board. 

Apart from that, I was astounded at the tone I got from my Spector when plugged directly into my amp.

View solution in original post