Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Behringer FCB1010; how to Store Guitar Amp Presets on the pedal

I hope somone can help me, i think it shouldn´t be a big issue, but i just don´t know how.

I have a Diezel D-Moll Guitar amp (with MIDI) and i want to controll my amp using the Behringer FCB1010.

The MIDI-Store function on the amp is pretty simple, just get your amp settings done and then press the "Store" button twice. My attempt on storing a channel-preset on my FCB1010 was to just click on a channel on the board, let´s say channel 1, then click the store button on my amp twice and that was it.

I made a clean channel on FCB-Channel 1, a dirty clean on CH2, a crunch on CH3 and so on. At the beginning it worked pretty well, but then I had the issue that if I wanted to store a distortion preset on FCB CH-5, I suddenly had this amp setting on all of the channels. And from this time i always had the issue that if i wanted to store a Channel Preset, it will overwrite nearly all other presets on my FCB.

So i stepped on FCB CH-5, made an amp preset, press the Store button on my amp twice, and now i have this amp setup on FCB Channels 1-5.

Now my question, how can i use my FCB1010 as a normal MIDI-Footswitch for my guitar amp (No Volume Pedals, Ext. Switching etc.)

Thanks a lot!

Tags (3)
Swaysl Contributor - Level 2 2019-07-30

2019-07-30

Behringer FCB1010; how to Store Guitar Amp Presets on the pedal

I hope somone can help me, i think it shouldn´t be a big issue, but i just don´t know how.

I have a Diezel D-Moll Guitar amp (with MIDI) and i want to controll my amp using the Behringer FCB1010.

The MIDI-Store function on the amp is pretty simple, just get your amp settings done and then press the "Store" button twice. My attempt on storing a channel-preset on my FCB1010 was to just click on a channel on the board, let´s say channel 1, then click the store button on my amp twice and that was it.

I made a clean channel on FCB-Channel 1, a dirty clean on CH2, a crunch on CH3 and so on. At the beginning it worked pretty well, but then I had the issue that if I wanted to store a distortion preset on FCB CH-5, I suddenly had this amp setting on all of the channels. And from this time i always had the issue that if i wanted to store a Channel Preset, it will overwrite nearly all other presets on my FCB.

So i stepped on FCB CH-5, made an amp preset, press the Store button on my amp twice, and now i have this amp setup on FCB Channels 1-5.

Now my question, how can i use my FCB1010 as a normal MIDI-Footswitch for my guitar amp (No Volume Pedals, Ext. Switching etc.)

Thanks a lot!

Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: Behringer FCB1010; how to Store Guitar Amp Presets on the pedal

It's been a while since I've used my FCB, but.. Firstly,have you got the free external editor software ?

http://host.mtnsys.com:81/faq-fcb/PCEditorBeta.htm

It makes it soo much easier. Smiley Happy (You will need a midi interface for your computer though...if you haven't got one,get the manual out,it will get esoteric! Smiley Happy )

Are you changing midi channel,rather than changing with "program changes.?"

In theory, you should just set up the FCB to transmit on the same midi channel as the amp is receiving,then tell the FCB to send a "Program Change 1" from pedal 1, "Program Change 2" from pedal 2 etc.

The Midi channel should stay the same,but the "ProgramChanges" change.

Contributor - Level 2

Thanks for the reply!

I didn´t try it with the Editor Software because i don´t have a MIDI interface for my computer. I didn´t think that this was such a big deal and to be honest, i really don´t know anything about MIDI!

Yes I´m switching the channels via MIDI, not the programm change via the Footswitch Output.

In theory, (for example) i want to set my Amplifier on Channel 1, switch on the FX-loop, and have the Mid-Cut on. Now i want to save this configuration on Channel 1 on the FCB-1010. Then i want Channel 2 on my amp, fx-loop off, and Mid-Cut off -> Then save it as Channel 2 on the FCB and so on..

I am really confused because it worked the first times by doing exact that thing. 

1.) i stepped on Channel 1 on my FCB

2.) i set my amp on the configurations that i wanted

3.) Press the "Store" Button on my amp twice

And that was it, but now it seems that the communiation is kind of messed up and i can´t do this anymore because it will write my amp setup on any random channel on the FCB.

There maybe some confusion here regarding terms, When you step on a footswitch on the FCB it sends a "Midi Program change" message, on midi channel 1.If the FCB is set to send "MidiProgramChange 1" then your amp will respond by changing to guitarchannel 1.

If the FCB is set to send "MidiProgramChange 2" then your amp will change to guitarchannel 2.(But it will still stay on the same midi channel-the guitar channel changes, not the midi channel)

Your amp has channels,but they're not related to midi channels. Your amps channels get changed by receiving "midi program change" messages, The FCB doesn't store any information from the amp, It just squirts a Program change message out when it gets stomped on. The amp hears this message and goes "PG change 1 ?...ok,changing to channel 1"

You're amp stores the preset,not the FCB.

I dunno if i've made that any clearer. heh. I've almost confused myself. It can get complicated quickly. Smiley Happy

Contributor - Level 2

Alright, thanks a lot!

It was just confusing for me, because on the first few attempts, it worked like this!

I just saved the presets on my amp on the FCB and when i pressed the pedals on the FCB, the amp changed the channels etc. to the presets which i saved.

So there´s no way that you can step on channel 1 on the FCB, kind of "read" the information what i saved on my guitar amp, and then save this setting on the FCB so that this preset is now on channel 1 on the FCB?

Just had a look at the manual for your amp, and it appears that you have to

"push pedal 1 on the FCB" (This may be important because it might not send the message when it's just turned on. You may have to push it again to actually "send" the program change message.)

Now select "channel one" on your amp, and press "store" twice.on your amp. This "should" have assigned what ever message came out of the FCB to your amp channel one.

Now, "Press pedal 2 on the FCB" Change your channel on the amp to channel 2 and press store twice.

Same again for pedal 3, press and then change to channel 3 on amp, press store twice.

That,In theory...should do it Smiley Happy

"...So there´s no way that you can step on channel 1 on the FCB, kind of "read" the information what i saved on my guitar amp, and then save this setting on the FCB so that this preset is now on channel 1 on the FCB?"

Nope,it works the other way. The amp stores the preset and the FCB just sends a "MIDI Program Change Message." It makes sense because the amp has all the preset information anyway, and if it did it the other way there would be a noticable delay while the FCB squirted all the preset data back into your amp.(MIDI data transfer is quite slow.)

If what I've suggested doesn't work, Then I'll have to hunt out the FCB manual... Smiley Happy