JosephSoul Contributor - Level 2 2015-11-11

2015-11-11

Building my own Guitar/Headphone Cable...

I've been using the VL3 since March and it's really been amazing. It wasn't until around June that I started using the Guitar/Headphone cable. Fast-forward to October and the connector on the guitar side literally broke off at the tip. Now, I'm sure we can all agree that this cable is two things, utter genius and made of crappy components. I've since replaced both ¼” connectors with some that I got off an old Hosa cable.

Well, I've decided to take their idea and make my own out of higher quality components. I'll be updating this thread with Here is a shopping list if you're interested in making your own:

Neutrik NP2RX Right Angle ¼” Male (from guitar output jack)

Neutrik NP2X Straight ¼” Male (to VL3 or other input)

Connectronics Deluxe 3.5mm TRS Male

Connectronics Deluxe 3.5mm TRS Female

Mogami W2534 Quad Cable

Mine will be slightly different as I'm planning a few upgrades to my pedal board and want to future proof this cable. I'll get into more detail later, just wanted to get this thread started. Everything gets here Friday and I can't wait. Got 5 shows this weekend so I won't be able to get to it till Monday so just a heads up. I'll be posting pics and potentially videos of the process.

Thanks for looking,

Joe.

• 0 Kudos
  • 20 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Building my own Guitar/Headphone Cable...

Hello guys,
I built my own cable!
see the photo.

IMG_2515.JPG
Contributor - Level 2

So what Janne said is right. I'm getting some noise with the mogami quad flex. it might just be my soldering skills (or sheer lack there of lol). Gonna try and configure it a little more like Hilario's cable (where the ends split out like a Y. I tried to build it more like the TC version (probably wont happen since the barrels on their cable has a bigger hole than normal. I'm also considering taking the techflex route. That was my initial idea until I heard about quad cable. I used the shield for the guitar ground, and then just used 3 leads for the HP. I figured as long as its grounded it should be fine right? wrong. I'm not exactly sure when my problem lies to like I said, I'm gonna tear it apart and do it again. Will keep you guys updated. I wanted to take more pics and videos but I built it before a slew of shows saturday and was in a bit of a hurry. don't forget, I put a 5-Pin XLR breakout on the end of mine.

IMG_9138.jpg
IMG_9142.jpg
IMG_9135.jpg
IMG_9136.jpg
IMG_9137.jpg
IMG_9146.jpg
Contributor - Level 2

Just a little update,

I re-built the cable minus the 5-pin breakout. did a better job soldering and planning it out. I also decided to make it a little different, splitting the cable and heat shrinking each segment separately. I only have short pieces of heat shrink so it looks kinda funny but the bottom line, IT WORKS! It works perfectly with no noise and no issues. Here are a couple pics of the completed cable.

IMG_9201.JPG
IMG_9205.JPG
IMG_9206.JPG
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Applied reverse engineering to make my on "High Quality" Voicelive 3 Headphone/Instrument cable...
Here it goes, for anybody who needs...

20151201_205640.jpg
Contributor - Level 2

Joseph, if I paid you and made it worth your time, would you make and mail me one of those homemade cables? I'm the furthest thing from a handyman. Just name your price. - Brendon
Contributor - Level 2

@brendon email me josephsoulmusic@gmail.com
Contributor - Level 2

Dear cable building friends,

I had to replace the end of my guitar-headphone cable, and I decided to go the Neutrik UltimatePlug route. The signal muting works flawlessly, even with overdriven guitar settings. I haven't had the time to really compare sounds with the Timbre properties, but will soon.

2016-01-26 23.21.55.jpg
Contributor - Level 2

I'm very disappointed with the TC-Helicon provided cable with headphone cable. The post on two-out-of-three cables has broken away from the mount and are utterly unusable. I've made cables before and appreciate all the great ideas.
Contributor - Level 2

The Neutrik plug is quite reliable. I just bought a quality 3.5mm extension cable and snipped the ends to my needs.

What I'd like to find somewhere, is better quality cable with one shielded lead and three smaller ones for the headphone signal.
Contributor - Level 3

A Brazilian Cable Co. called Santo Angelo, has just released a similar cable. it's Called Exodus. I've been using it for about two weeks and it working fine for me.
Aos amigos Brasileiros, a Santo Ângelo lançou um cabo similar, chamado Êxodus, que está me atendendo muito bem!

Exodus.jpg