Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Changing settings mid-song.

I bought the Nova and am generally happy with it. First and only effects tool I've ever had so no experience with anything else (ie M13). I generally play U2 stuff and use online tutorials that almost always use gear that is anything but Nova.

What seems to be pretty common when watching someone else play a song with Line 6 device is making multiple changes during the song, which I don't see an easy way to do with the Nova. I get that I can turn delay or drive or whatever on or off, but if I wanted to switch from a distortion of 4 to 12, not gonna happen. Or change the delay, that kind of thing.

So, even though the Nova is usually highly rated, how are you professional musicians gigging with this? What am I missing? I'm tempted to pick up a Line 6 for just that reason but it's a lot of money to be tossing around!

Thanks
Tags (1)
dinman Contributor - Level 2 2018-03-18

2018-03-18

Changing settings mid-song.

I bought the Nova and am generally happy with it. First and only effects tool I've ever had so no experience with anything else (ie M13). I generally play U2 stuff and use online tutorials that almost always use gear that is anything but Nova.

What seems to be pretty common when watching someone else play a song with Line 6 device is making multiple changes during the song, which I don't see an easy way to do with the Nova. I get that I can turn delay or drive or whatever on or off, but if I wanted to switch from a distortion of 4 to 12, not gonna happen. Or change the delay, that kind of thing.

So, even though the Nova is usually highly rated, how are you professional musicians gigging with this? What am I missing? I'm tempted to pick up a Line 6 for just that reason but it's a lot of money to be tossing around!

Thanks

Contributor - Level 2

Re: Changing settings mid-song.

I use the Nova System in Preset Mode, so I often create presets for specific songs or parts of songs. For example, my band plays Bruno Mars song "24K Magic", so I setup a Bank of Presets to use just for this song. I use Bank 5 for this song; Preset 5-01 is a clean sound with slight reverb and heavy compression that I use in the verses. Preset 5-02 uses overdrive, pitch shifter, and delay to replicate a synth sound that I use in the chorus. Preset 5-03 is a variation of 5-02, with more overdrive and delay, no pitch shifter, that I use only in the bridge of the song.
If you're using the Nova System in Pedal Mode and want to use variations of effects settings, you'll need to create Banks of different virtual pedal boards that you can switch between. Switching Banks within a song is difficult, but it can be done.
Nova System, Carvin Legacy 3, Bogner Ecstasy