Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Chord Shifting - Quintessence or Brainwaves

I have a Digitech Whammy that has the Classic/Chords option switch and I love to use the Chords option. I'm looking at either the Quintessence or the Brainwaves to replace it simply for pedal board space and a little more functionality. Do either of these pedals handle chords better than the other or at all?

Thank you!
Tags (1)
glennkav Contributor - Level 1 2019-02-08

2019-02-08

Chord Shifting - Quintessence or Brainwaves

I have a Digitech Whammy that has the Classic/Chords option switch and I love to use the Chords option. I'm looking at either the Quintessence or the Brainwaves to replace it simply for pedal board space and a little more functionality. Do either of these pedals handle chords better than the other or at all?

Thank you!

• 0 Kudos
  • 2 Replies
Contributor - Level 1

Re: Chord Shifting - Quintessence or Brainwaves

I think the Brainwaves pedal is the one you’d want. The Quintessence doesn’t handle chords as input (or other polyphonic input), only single notes (monophonic input); it is intended to essentially turn single notes into chords. The Brainwaves, in contrast, is polyphonic, and I believe that is similar to, or exactly the same as, the Whammy pedal’s “Chords” mode. 

Contributor - Level 2

Re: Chord Shifting - Quintessence or Brainwaves

@glennkav 
Quintessence is a intelligent harmony maker i.e. it detects the note played and then outputs the selected harmony. That's why it''s monophonic. 

Brainwaves is a pitchshifter i.e. it shifts everything the selected amount. That's why it's polyphonic. 

Chords are, by definition, polyphonic, so what you are looking for is the Brainwaves pedal Smiley Happy