Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Ditto X4 SD image, possible FIX for dead X4s?

Hey friends!

So after trying to update my bricked Ditto X4 for the 100th time again today, I decided to open it up and see if I could trouble shoot anything obvious. Not sure what state the SD card came in, but it's unreadable by my computer and if it's removed, the device seems to work like it was fresh out of the box with no instructions on how to run (no firmware or storage).

It got me thinking that the SD is corrupt, or at least a big piece of the issue with these. If anyone has a working one lying around, and doesn't mind trying to crack it open and see what's on that card, maybe the hundreds of loopers collecting dust have a shot.

And... if it's not that, well, we at tried. I'll probably resort to plan B and get a new one and swap parts to see where the fault is. My X4 is on that pedestal, where it shaped so much of my sound and approach to music, it's like my version of the DL4, I'll be damned if I have to walk away from decayed loops for ever... ever... ver...er...r...r.

I appreciate any thoughts! Thanks!
Tags (1)
Wasabi Contributor - Level 1 2018-02-08

2018-02-08

Ditto X4 SD image, possible FIX for dead X4s?

Hey friends!

So after trying to update my bricked Ditto X4 for the 100th time again today, I decided to open it up and see if I could trouble shoot anything obvious. Not sure what state the SD card came in, but it's unreadable by my computer and if it's removed, the device seems to work like it was fresh out of the box with no instructions on how to run (no firmware or storage).

It got me thinking that the SD is corrupt, or at least a big piece of the issue with these. If anyone has a working one lying around, and doesn't mind trying to crack it open and see what's on that card, maybe the hundreds of loopers collecting dust have a shot.

And... if it's not that, well, we at tried. I'll probably resort to plan B and get a new one and swap parts to see where the fault is. My X4 is on that pedestal, where it shaped so much of my sound and approach to music, it's like my version of the DL4, I'll be damned if I have to walk away from decayed loops for ever... ever... ver...er...r...r.

• 0 Kudos
  • 7 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Re: Ditto X4 SD image, possible FIX for dead X4s?

I've yet to own a Ditto and am very interested in the X4, but have read so many complaints about them breaking. How has TC Electronics not addressed this problem? The features, layout, size & price seem really nice, but I'm hesitant to purchasing if there's a good chance of it breaking quickly.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Wasabi wrote:
Hey friends!

I have the same issue. SD card dead. Anyone ever get back to you?
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

I also have a dead sd card on my Ditto x4. I never was able to mount or update ie card never recognized on many different mac or pc computers. I finally got the unit opened and tried reseating the micro sd card with no luck. Please let me know if anyone has success replacing the 4gb micro sd card with one that functions for the pedal.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

If you're still having issues please subscribe to this thread: http://forum.tcelectronic.com/topic/24716/debugging-a-bricked-ditto-x4/

Given TC's utter lack of meaningful and useful support I've taken it upon myself to debug the issue and make a solution we can all use.

I hope to have a working solution in the next week or so.
Contributor - Level 2

bizz_gg wrote:
I also have a dead sd card on my Ditto x4. I never was able to mount or update ie card never recognized on many different mac or pc computers. I finally got the unit opened and tried reseating the micro sd card with no luck. Please let me know if anyone has success replacing the 4gb micro sd card with one that functions for the pedal.

Yes, I made it work today. Full instructions in the link above.
Highlighted
Triber Moderator

Hi all,

everybody that experiences issues with his or her Ditto X4, please get in touch with our tech support teams via the link below.

We have seen the described issue with some SD cards failing and the units can be fixed as part of service repair.

an indication for possible SDcard failure leading to the non-booting issue is if the unit cannot be brought into boot mode and a tried firmware update fails. Our supporters will assist you assessing the problem and advise you how to proceed best and have your units fixed.

You can contact our tech support team via the following link:
https://www.tcelectronic.com/brand/tcel … ans(en|en)

Alternativly, you can also write to: CARECREA@MUSICTRIBE.COM

Please include your product serialnumber in your support request and try if you can get your Ditto X4 into boot mode as described below:

Preparing the firmware update/setting your Ditto X4 into Boot mode

- Unplug all cables (including the power supply) from your TC pedal.
- Connect the pedal to your computer using a USB cable.
- Press and hold (min 3 seconds) the leftmost footswitch (Lp1) on your Ditto X4.
- Insert the DC power supply plug while keeping the switch pressed.

!!!The leftmost LED on your pedal should turn green. -- wait until the the loop1 LED turns off – now release the Loop1 footswitch and wait until all LEDs are green – you are now in boot mode!!

-Release the footswitch

If the LEDS are not turning green (and stay lit) - the SD card might have failed and you should get in touch with our support team to help you getting your unit fixed.

best regards, Mike
TC Mike | Triber Moderator, Music Tribe Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution! Community Guidelines | FAQs
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Thank you so much for this, not sure how it took me so long to find this particular thread as I have spent the last half of the year trying desperately to resuscitate a bricked X4. Since I also just picked up an Echolution 2 from Pigtronix I have been desperately missing my ability to midi sync guitar loops to my synthesizer rig. Really looking forward to getting some use from it this weekend!