Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Firmware 1.05 Pitch Bend range removed

Hi everyone,

I have noticed that in firmware 1.05 the Pitch Bend range MIDI SysEx messages are ignored by the synth. It only sends 8 semitones interval up and down.

Cheers
AlexExposito Contributor - Level 3 2018-03-30

2018-03-30

Firmware 1.05 Pitch Bend range removed

Hi everyone,

I have noticed that in firmware 1.05 the Pitch Bend range MIDI SysEx messages are ignored by the synth. It only sends 8 semitones interval up and down.

Cheers

• 0 Kudos
  • 38 Replies
Triber Moderator

Re: Firmware 1.05 Pitch Bend range removed

Alex Exposito;143178 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Cheers

Hi Alex, welcome to the forum!

Our developers have stated the "pitch bend range" SysEx message adjustment is no longer possible after 1.0.5 as it had to be removed in order to accommodate the ability to pitch bend notes after they've been released. (Note off)

Unfortunately I'm told it's not possible to have both features available due to physical hardware limitations of Model D so no future firmware update will allow both features to be present on Model D as it stands currently.
Michael Lapke
Contributor - Level 3

Michael Lapke;143246 wrote:
Hi Alex, welcome to the forum!

Our developers have stated the "pitch bend range" SysEx message adjustment is no longer possible after 1.0.5 as it had to be removed in order to accommodate the ability to pitch bend notes after they've been released. (Note off)

Unfortunately I'm told it's not possible to have both features available due to physical hardware limitations of Model D so no future firmware update will allow both features to be present on Model D as it stands currently.

Hi Michael, and thank you for your fast response.

It's a pity that we lost this feature with the new firmware. In any case if the Pitch Bend range can not be configured any more I think the default setting should be an octave. Just like in the previous firmware. An augmented 5th (8 semitones) is a weird interval to set the Pitch Bend range. One octave is more musical and useful.

I hope you can fix that in the next firmware.

Thanks in advance.

Alex
Contributor - Level 2

Yuck!

I prefer an octave, too!

(I'm an unskilled hack, so an octave at least gives me something that sounds good at the extreme end.)

Is there any easy way I can roll back the firmware update?
Triber Moderator

No way to roll back firmware at the moment. The development team is considering the best way to proceed in the future regarding this, I'll try to post here once I learn more.

Thanks for your patience.
Michael Lapke
Contributor - Level 1

Why SysEx?

Why using SysEx instead of the standard?

In the MIDI spec, setting pitch bend range has a Control Change definition.

CC 101 (MSB) sets +/- semitones CC 100 (LSB) sets +/- cents

B Blix
Contributor - Level 1

A useful feature was sacrificed for a feature I may not use nearly as much

My primary use for my Model D is to play Bass. Therefore, the pitch bend range for me is almost exclusively used at an octave setting.

I would gladly not be able to bend a note after note-off in order to have the pitch bend range user definable, or would settle to have a default octave that is not user definable.

The absolute best would be to set the pitch bend up and pitch bend down independently.

One my favorites is an octave down (12 semitones) and a whole step or minor third up (2 or 3 semitones).

I must agree with user posts above; "Why SysEx?" "Minor 6th, Yuck"

1.05 seems to have made my Model D less useful and less fun to play.
Contributor - Level 1

Wow, very disappointing. I am just messing around with my new Model D and I've spent 2 hours trying to adjust the PB range with sysex...then I found this. At least I'm not going crazy!

The pitch bend range is WAY to large for me. I like mine set at a whole step. I use it for vibrato, sliding and quarter tones. I really need them to bring this functionality back or at least let us roll back. My Model D shipped with the latest version. I hope they fix this.
Contributor - Level 2

It is not a pity that we cant change the range of the pitch-bend. It is a disaster. Because it takes a very important feature out of soloing - and also because the User Start Guide indicates (p.40) that the range can varied from 0 - 12 semitones.
Had I known of this failure in advance I might not have purchased the synth.
Contributor - Level 2

The Model D is a great synthesizer, which is inappropriate for practical work due to the error at the pitch bend range.

I hope Behringer will soon fix this bug, otherwise I will cancel the purchase.