Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Firmware 1.05 won't take

Trying to update to Firmware 1.05.
Win 10 Home
Model D first comes up as USB Device not recognized.
Delete device.
Power off and on
Comes up as Model D in Audio devices.
Start Update
Model D Connected.
Click Start
Wait about a minute.
Update Failed.

I have tried 'Run as Administrator'.

I have installed the .Net 2.0 as listed in directions, because I did get the Model D not connected error.
GeorgeRay Contributor - Level 3 2018-03-18

2018-03-18

Firmware 1.05 won't take

Trying to update to Firmware 1.05.
Win 10 Home
Model D first comes up as USB Device not recognized.
Delete device.
Power off and on
Comes up as Model D in Audio devices.
Start Update
Model D Connected.
Click Start
Wait about a minute.
Update Failed.

I have tried 'Run as Administrator'.

I have installed the .Net 2.0 as listed in directions, because I did get the Model D not connected error.

• 0 Kudos
  • 29 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

1.05 update successful

Hi,
I had no problem updating with1.05 and WIN10.
Worked after first try.
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Firmware 1.05 won't take

I’m trying to get some more info about this, but there might be an issue updating the firmware using win10 on some computers and could possibly be fixed by the v1.05 firmware.

Can you try with another computer?
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 3

Will try this evening with a different machine.
Contributor - Level 3

Still Failing after All These Tries

Update still fails on machine 2.

This machine is Win 10 Pro.

Used different USB cable. Tried normal and 'Run as Administrator'.

According to updater screen, Device Firmware is 1.03
Contributor - Level 1

Hi. I also have the issue with firmware update from 1.0.3 to 1.05. I get message "Firmware Update Failed! Please restart Model D and try again". See attached screenshots. I am able to start the Updater and connect to my Model D unit. Things go wrong when I click on Start Update button.

I tried on two different PCs, two different USB cables, Windows 7 and 10 and I always get the same result. After I get "Failed" message the Updater freezes.

Any ideas what might be wrong?
Contributor - Level 2

Unable to update

Piotr Dresler;143957 wrote:
Hi. I also have the issue with firmware update from 1.0.3 to 1.05. I get message "Firmware Update Failed! Please restart Model D and try again". See attached screenshots. I am able to start the Updater and connect to my Model D unit. Things go wrong when I click on Start Update button.

I tried on two different PCs, two different USB cables, Windows 7 and 10 and I always get the same result. After I get "Failed" message the Updater freezes.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

I am having exactly same problem. My D is on firmware 1.0.3, get same message, tried on Windows 7 and Windows 10 to update to 1.0.5. Hope a solution can be found it’s very frustrating.
Triber Moderator

Hi all,

Sorry to hear that you gents are having difficulties with updating your Model D firmware. I did have one other person reach out to me in another forum about this and he and I have been going through the trouble shooting process to determine a cause. I myself have updated two different Model D's in our office, one from firmware v1.0.2 and the other from v1.0.3, both on a Windows 10 machine running the latest operating system version/build without issue.

When updating your Model D firmware, please ensure the following:
- That you don't have any other USB MIDI devices plugged into the PC during the update process
- That you don't have any DAWs or audio production software(s) open on your computer during the update

Please be advised that the latest 1.0.5 firmware update isn't a "mission critical" update so if you aren't able to get it working right now then it shouldn't be a big deal. Also note that the firmware v1.0.5 update will effectively remove the ability to adjust your Model D's pitch bend range, so if the ability to do that is very important to you then I'd advise not updating your synth for the time being.

Can any of you please confirm the following for us:
- During the update process before hitting the UPDATE button, open up a "Windows Explorer" window (where you can view your computer's folders and external connected drives) and see if an extra drive (USB Drive or Removable Disk etc.) appears in the Windows Explorer window after you start running the 1.0.5 updater tool?

Thanks in advance for providing this information, we greatly appreciate your patience and cooperation.
Michael Lapke
Contributor - Level 2

Michael Lapke;143973 wrote:
Hi all,

Sorry to hear that you gents are having difficulties with updating your Model D firmware. I did have one other person reach out to me in another forum about this and he and I have been going through the trouble shooting process to determine a cause. I myself have updated two different Model D's in our office, one from firmware v1.0.2 and the other from v1.0.3, both on a Windows 10 machine running the latest operating system version/build without issue.

- That you don't have any other USB MIDI devices plugged into the PC during the update process
- That you don't have any DAWs or audio production software(s) open on your computer during the update

Please be advised that the latest 1.0.5 firmware update isn't a "mission critical" update so if you aren't able to get it working right now then it shouldn't be a big deal. Also note that the firmware v1.0.5 update will effectively remove the ability to adjust your Model D's pitch bend range, so if the ability to do that is very important to you then I'd advise not updating your synth for the time being.

- During the update process before hitting the UPDATE button, open up a "Windows Explorer" window (where you can view your computer's folders and external connected drives) and see if an extra drive (USB Drive or Removable Disk etc.) appears in the Windows Explorer window after you start running the 1.0.5 updater tool?

Thanks in advance for providing this information, we greatly appreciate your patience and cooperation.

Hi Michael, have done as you suggest and no extra drives appear. The updater box shows Model D Connected but never advances to say Model D Updater Connected.
Thanks. If i go to task manager once the updater fails it shows Model D Updater not responding.
Contributor - Level 1

Hi Michael,

Thank you for prompt reply.

Tried that. Did not help.

the firmware v1.0.5 update will effectively remove the ability to adjust your Model D's pitch bend range, so if the ability to do that is very important to you then I'd advise not updating your synth for the time being.

Does it mean it is not possible to update back to 1.0.3 after updating to 1.0.5 ?

It doesn't appear.

Br,
Piotr