GeorgeRay Contributor - Level 3 2018-03-18

2018-03-18

Firmware 1.05 won't take

Trying to update to Firmware 1.05.
Win 10 Home
Model D first comes up as USB Device not recognized.
Delete device.
Power off and on
Comes up as Model D in Audio devices.
Start Update
Model D Connected.
Click Start
Wait about a minute.
Update Failed.

I have tried 'Run as Administrator'.

I have installed the .Net 2.0 as listed in directions, because I did get the Model D not connected error.

• 0 Kudos
  • 30 Replies
Triber Moderator

Re: Firmware 1.05 won't take

Kevin Wild;144008 wrote:
Hi Michael, have done as you suggest and no extra drives appear. The updater box shows Model D Connected but never advances to say Model D Updater Connected.
Thanks. If i go to task manager once the updater fails it shows Model D Updater not responding.

Piotr Dresler;144011 wrote:
Hi Michael,

Thank you for prompt reply.

Tried that. Did not help.

Does it mean it is not possible to update back to 1.0.3 after updating to 1.0.5 ?

Thanks for replying with this information guys. At this point, once Model D is updated to firmware v1.0.5 there is no way to rollback to a prior firmware version. Our developers are considering an option for a solution that allows rolling back to older firmware, but I've got no word on their progress just yet.

Given both your responses it sounds like you are experiencing that same thing as this other customer I referred to earlier. This means the Model D you have is not going to be able to be updated via firmware as it sits right now. So far only a select few units are affect by this issue .

The Model D development team is already in the process of weighing the best options for a fix. Of course if you aren't willing to wait for that solution then the alternative would be to contact the authorized retailer where you purchased the unit and ask them to swap it out for a brand new one.

Once a concrete fix for the problem is in place then I'll come back and post here to let everyone know. Please feel free to PM if you have any other questions or concerns regarding this.
Michael Lapke
Contributor - Level 2

Michael Lapke;144060 wrote:
Thanks for replying with this information guys. At this point, once Model D is updated to firmware v1.0.5 there is no way to rollback to a prior firmware version. Our developers are considering an option for a solution that allows rolling back to older firmware, but I've got no word on their progress just yet.

Given both your responses it sounds like you are experiencing that same thing as this other customer I referred to earlier. This means the Model D you have is not going to be able to be updated via firmware as it sits right now. So far only a select few units are affect by this issue .

The Model D development team is already in the process of weighing the best options for a fix. Of course if you aren't willing to wait for that solution then the alternative would be to contact the authorized retailer where you purchased the unit and ask them to swap it out for a brand new one.

Once a concrete fix for the problem is in place then I'll come back and post here to let everyone know. Please feel free to PM if you have any other questions or concerns regarding this.

Hi Michael, many thanks for your reply. Could you just confirm that the engineers are working on a fix for the specific problem i / we are experiencing. I am more than happy to wait for a fix rather than swap out the unit as i am in no great rush to update firmware. I would like to know however that in time if i needed to or wanted to i would be able to update - hence my question re is this specific problem being investigated. If my unit cannot be updated in time then i would swap it out, but obviously would need to do that within the guarentee time period.
Anyway, good to communicate with you - i see your posts on Gearslutz (i am The Lurcher on that forum). I love the D and cannot wait for the Pro One (and other releases). Big thanks to you, Uli and all the teams bringing these synths to us at affordable prices.
Kevin
Triber Moderator

No problem Kevin.

I can confirm that a solution to the problem is being worked on, but I don't believe they don't have a complete fix available at this time. If for any reason a fix isn't ultimately able to be done by you in the comfort of your own home then this particular issue would fall under a warranty repair / replacement. As I said, updating to 1.0.5 isn't absolutely necessary unless the minor fixes it implements are detrimental to your operation of Model D.

As soon as I know more then I'll be happy to share. Smiley Wink
Michael Lapke
Contributor - Level 2

I am also having problems updating the Firmware on my Model D. My unit is currently on v1.02 and I would like to update to v1.05 because I am experiencing problems with multi trigger mode. However, I am stuck at 1.02 because the update programs fail.

I have tried the 1.05 AND the 1.03 updaters on two different machines (Win7 64bit & Win10 64bit) but I cannot get it to work. The updaters "see" the D is connected but when I hit update it does not work.

On Windows 7, the 1.03 updater sees the D is connected but when I hit the "Update" button, the program immediately goes into an "Not Responding" state in Windows Task Manager and I have to force the program to close.

On Windows 7, the 1.05 updater sees the D connected, when I hit "update", the Windows "progress ring" appears but the update progress bar never moves. Task Manager shows the program as "running" but it just doesn't complete. I've left it in this sate for 10 minutes and nothing happens. Finally, when I attempt to shut the 1.05 updater down, Windows finally reports it as "unresponsive" and has to be forces to shutdown.

On Windows 10 I see slightly different behaviour.

1.03 updater sees the D, when I hit update, the first segment of the green progress bar appears (that doesn't happen on Win 7) but after about 5 seconds, Windows Task Manager reports it as "Not Responding". I then have to force shutdown of the program through Task Manager.

1.05 sees the D but when I hit "Update" nothing happens, no progress bar movement. Windows task Manager does NOT report the program as unresponsive but after about 30 seconds I receive this error message:

I have tried this on USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports, with NO other USB devices connected, using two separate machines with different OS's. The only constant is the Model D itself. Is it possible it's faulty? Why am I having these problems?
Triber Moderator

Chris Rose;144563 wrote:
I am also having problems updating the Firmware on my Model D...

...Is it possible it's faulty? Why am I having these problems?

Hi Chris,

Please read all of my responses in this thread for the answer to your first question. The answer to the reasoning behind the second question is still being determined. Apparently a small batch of Model D's are affected by this, and a fix is being worked on.

Thanks for your patience.
Michael Lapke
Contributor - Level 2

Michael Lapke;144594 wrote:
Apparently a small batch of Model D's are affected by this, and a fix is being worked on.

Thanks for your reply but that makes me feel slightly nervous.

What is it about my Model D that is different from others? If it is different, why were the specifications changed after the batch mine came from was produced? problems? I don't like the sound of that!
Triber Moderator

Chris Rose;144684 wrote:
What is it about my Model D that is different from others? If it is different, why were the specifications changed after the batch mine came from was produced?

There have been no specification changes made in our manufacturing processes for Model D. The small batch of Model D's affected by this behavior are lacking a specific "bootloader" element which allows the unit to be updated by firmware updates that Behringer provides. At this point I'm not sure how or why this happened, but we are going to be making this right by releasing a fix just as soon as we can. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused our end users.

The only suggestion I can provide at this point instead of waiting for the fix is to try contacting the authorized retailer where you purchased your Model D and ask them to swap it out with another unit. Our authorized retailers shouldn't have any problem handling this for you, unless of course they are completely out of stock.

Luckily it sounds like you've already found a reliable workaround for using Model D with your DAW to use in the meantime until a proper fix is provided. Please feel free to PM me if there's anything else I can do for you here in the forum.
Michael Lapke
Triber Moderator

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to chime in and provide some updates regarding this topic.

Firstly, I'm starting to get information back from our developers about this "not able to update firmware" situation with Model D. It looks likely that any "fix" would involve sending our your Model D into one of our authorized service centers to be corrected manually, or by swapping the unit out for a brand new one from the retailer where it was originally purchased. So based on your priorities, those who are affected will have a decision to make:

1) Keep your Model D and have the option to potentially have this fixed as a repair by an authorized service center in the future, once they are able to do so.

2) Contact the authorized retailer where you purchased your Model D and have them swap it out for a new unit that doesn't have this problem.

I know that's not the answer everyone was hoping for, but as of right now I'm being told the fix can not be done manually by customers without effectively voiding their warranty. In my opinion, option #2 would probably be best as it would potentially provide you with the least amount of "downtime" from your Model D.

Secondly, I'm now being told that customers have been expressing the ability to roll back their Model D firmware to version 1.0.3 using the update file found on the Behringer website. The trick is that the update (rollback) needs to be executed using a Windows 7 computer specifically. I've not had the chance to try this myself, but I'm told by a few Model D owners that this will work.

Another solution is still possible for the next firmware release (after 1.0.5) but if getting the pitch bend range is really important to you right now then trying to rollback would be the easiest way to get that functionality back on your Model D.

Of course if I hear anything else about this moving forward then I'll be sure to comment here and let you know. Thanks again for everyones patience.
Michael Lapke
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Musicians Friend is not accepting Model D swaps past their return time

They are willing to accept one of my Model Ds for a swap but not the other. I thought you had said this would not be an issue.

I have an Authorized Service Center here in town but your fix isn't available yet.

Suggestions?
Triber Moderator

Michael Allen;145957 wrote:
They are willing to accept one of my Model Ds for a swap but not the other. I thought you had said this would not be an issue.

That's really weird... was there a specific reason why they said that they would only take back one of your Model D's? Both units were purchased from Musician's Friend, correct?
Michael Lapke