Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Firmware 1.10 Updater in virtual machine?

First, I have to say I'm pretty annoyed that the updater for macOS does not handle devices with firmware 1.0.4 and below. I have one of the earliest Model Ds which is still at 1.0.1. In my view, not providing an updater for macOS that can handle these devices is substandard support. Come on, Behringer, you're huge, not a bedroom manufacturer.

So, by now I've spent several hours to cobble together a (Virtualbox) virtual machine running a pristine Windows 10. There, the updater reliably detects my Model D. Unfortunately, it doesn't move forward and continually stays at "Completed 0%".

Has anyone succeeded in updating their Model D from a virtual machine? Or do I really have to find someone I can talk into letting me use their Windows PC?
MichaelSchürig Contributor - Level 2 2018-12-08

2018-12-08

Firmware 1.10 Updater in virtual machine?

First, I have to say I'm pretty annoyed that the updater for macOS does not handle devices with firmware 1.0.4 and below. I have one of the earliest Model Ds which is still at 1.0.1. In my view, not providing an updater for macOS that can handle these devices is substandard support. Come on, Behringer, you're huge, not a bedroom manufacturer.

So, by now I've spent several hours to cobble together a (Virtualbox) virtual machine running a pristine Windows 10. There, the updater reliably detects my Model D. Unfortunately, it doesn't move forward and continually stays at "Completed 0%".

Has anyone succeeded in updating their Model D from a virtual machine? Or do I really have to find someone I can talk into letting me use their Windows PC?

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: Firmware 1.10 Updater in virtual machine?

Did work for me running Windows 10 in Virtualbox on Linux.
Once the 0% progressbar appears you have to make the Model D available to the Virtualbox again as it changes the USB device mode to 'firmware'.
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks, it's good to know that it can work.

I think that I took care of making the device available, but I'll try again. Currently, I have the VM on a Mac, but I have Linux, too. In fact, I tried Linux with KVM/virt-manager first, but gave up after several system crashes.
Super Contributor - Level 2

Michael Schürig;156770 wrote:
Thanks, it's good to know that it can work.

I think that I took care of making the device available, but I'll try again. Currently, I have the VM on a Mac, but I have Linux, too. In fact, I tried Linux with KVM/virt-manager first, but gave up after several system crashes.

Just in case I wan't clear enough: You have to make the Model D available to the Virtualbox twice: First, in "normal" mode. That's how the updater detects the Model D. Then when you start the update the Model D switches into another USB mode which looks like a different device to the host computer. In Virtualbox/Linux the Model D showed up as something like [Model D 'firmware'] IRC. The update tool si waiting for the Model D to show up in this mode. If you don't make it available to the virtual Windows the update process will eventually time out within a couple of seconds.

The handling of the USB devices on the Mac might even be the reason why the Mac update tool doesn't work with early firmware, though. So you might want to try on Linux again. I did all the Model D firmware updates from within a virtual machine. So you might even try to gradually update.

Good luck!