Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

G Natural with Taylor 614ce (TE system)

Can anyone please help me with the correct setup using the XLR cable that was included with the guitar? I've tried using a different jack to jack cable but it sounds terrible.

I also have a godin multiac and that sounds great with the G Natural, but I really want to use my Taylor when I gig.

When I plug the XLR cable straight into the mixer, the sound is unbelievable but I really want to use the G Natural in between!

Thanks.....
Tags (1)
surreyman Contributor - Level 2 2008-09-22

2008-09-22

G Natural with Taylor 614ce (TE system)

Can anyone please help me with the correct setup using the XLR cable that was included with the guitar? I've tried using a different jack to jack cable but it sounds terrible.

I also have a godin multiac and that sounds great with the G Natural, but I really want to use my Taylor when I gig.

When I plug the XLR cable straight into the mixer, the sound is unbelievable but I really want to use the G Natural in between!

Thanks.....

• 0 Kudos
  • 6 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: G Natural with Taylor 614ce (TE system)

surreyman wrote:

Thanks.....

I assume that this is an ES-equipped Taylor, and the cable to which you refer is a TRS-XLR cable that comes with the unit.

You have three choices.
1) Use a regular instrument cable and patch the guitar into the instrument input on the G-Nat. I personnally don't like the sound from this one. The ES is really MUCH happier when treated like a mic of sorts.
2) Use a conversion transformer like this one to convert the low-Z balanced signal off the supplied cable to a hi-Z unbalanced signal that is a better match for the G-Nat's instrument input - which is designed for the Hi-Z output of a traditional guitar pickup. I have used this method with a fair amount of success.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062443&cp=&sr=1&kw=balanced+transformer&origk...

3) Jack the supplied cable into the MIC input and then set the internal mic routing to be the same as the instrument routing. (You'll need to toy with the mic gain level knob and perhaps the pad button to get the levels right. You will also need to select mic input on the mic/aux input button)
Gtrs: PRS Cust. 24 20-Anny Artist, Yamaha PAC1511 Mike Stern Signature Pedalboard: Barber Tone Press, TC NovaDrive, TC G-System, Eventide ModFactor Rack: Egnater M4 Modular Tube Preamp, Randall RT2/50 Power Amp, Palmer ADIG-LB load box/cab sim Acoustic: Stehr Coco/Adi Custom-build OO, Stehr Koa/Adi Custom Build GA, Stehr Braz/Adi Custom Build GA, Taylor 814ce-L10, G-Natural
Contributor - Level 2

That's a huge help - thanks!

I'll let you know how I get on....
Contributor - Level 2

Hi again - Tried option 2 and that worked reasonably well. Struggling on option 3 and wondered if you could give a little more detailed help? I'm not sure where to go once in the menu!

Many thanks if you can help....
Contributor - Level 2

surreyman wrote:
Hi again - Tried option 2 and that worked reasonably well. Struggling on option 3 and wondered if you could give a little more detailed help? I'm not sure where to go once in the menu!

Many thanks if you can help....

0) Put fresh batteries (or battery, depending on the ES you have) in the guitar.

1) You need to do the following from the "Levels" Menu
- Set "Levels->Mic-Pre" to "Guitar"

2) On the back of the unit - you need to set the following:
- Make sure the "Mic In Select" button is pressed IN
- Make sure the "+48V" button is NOT pressed in.

3) Set the Guitar's output volume to at least the detente position. (The volume knob on the ES has a little spot where the knob "sticks" if you want it there. That is the "Detente" position.

4) Then on the back of the unit, you will need to set input gain
a) Start with the "-20db" button NOT pressed in.
b) Adjust the "mic level" knob until you get a good string signal that distorts a little.
c) Then back the "mic level" knob off about 1/4 turn so the signal does not distort, even when playing your loudest.

If you can't get the signal loud enough to distort, turn up the volume on the guitar another 1/4 turn and try step 4 again.

If the signal is too hot (distorts) with the mic level knob most of the way down, press the "-20db" button in and try steps 4b and 4c again.
Gtrs: PRS Cust. 24 20-Anny Artist, Yamaha PAC1511 Mike Stern Signature Pedalboard: Barber Tone Press, TC NovaDrive, TC G-System, Eventide ModFactor Rack: Egnater M4 Modular Tube Preamp, Randall RT2/50 Power Amp, Palmer ADIG-LB load box/cab sim Acoustic: Stehr Coco/Adi Custom-build OO, Stehr Koa/Adi Custom Build GA, Stehr Braz/Adi Custom Build GA, Taylor 814ce-L10, G-Natural
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks so much for that. I seem to have cracked it! The Taylor sounds great now - even better than the Godin! Now I just need to work on getting the best sounds out of the G-Natural..
Contributor - Level 1

Why do you have to use the Trs -Xlr cable from your Taylor , you'll better use a TRS-TRS cable
And plug it into the instrument input that is balanced ( or symetric if you prefer this term ) I think the result will be better !!!!!