Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Hall Of Fame Reverb > Fender 63 Reverb Tank?

Question: Is there anyone out there who has been able program the Hall Of Fame pedal so it can replicate a Fender 63 reverb tank?

I only ask this question, because I haven't found one yet that comes close as yet. I have played surf/instro music for decades and have tried just about everything out there and I haven't found any foot pedal that can give you the sound and drip that you get from the Fender 63 reverb tank. The Boss FRV-1 include, just doesn't have it either. The only thing I found that can replace one is the Billy Zoom Little Kahuna reverb/tremolo unit, but that's not a pedal and it costs $1100!

What I was hoping for when I bought the Hall Of Fame pedal, was that it could save me the trouble of toting around the 63 Fender reverb tank, but so far I haven't found that voice. I've tried the Sune Rose Wagner 'Tarantula' print, but that one doesn't really have the drip either. You almost have to plug a guitar directly into a Fender 63 reverb tank, then a clean amp to know what I'm talking about, but think of the beginning of Baja by the Astronauts.

Fortunately, I find the rest of the voices on the Hall Of Fame pedal to be great sounding and totally worth a spot on my pedal board. Now, just need to nail that surf setting!
Tags (1)
Surfdude2000 Contributor - Level 1 2017-04-22

2017-04-22

Hall Of Fame Reverb > Fender 63 Reverb Tank?

Question: Is there anyone out there who has been able program the Hall Of Fame pedal so it can replicate a Fender 63 reverb tank?

I only ask this question, because I haven't found one yet that comes close as yet. I have played surf/instro music for decades and have tried just about everything out there and I haven't found any foot pedal that can give you the sound and drip that you get from the Fender 63 reverb tank. The Boss FRV-1 include, just doesn't have it either. The only thing I found that can replace one is the Billy Zoom Little Kahuna reverb/tremolo unit, but that's not a pedal and it costs $1100!

What I was hoping for when I bought the Hall Of Fame pedal, was that it could save me the trouble of toting around the 63 Fender reverb tank, but so far I haven't found that voice. I've tried the Sune Rose Wagner 'Tarantula' print, but that one doesn't really have the drip either. You almost have to plug a guitar directly into a Fender 63 reverb tank, then a clean amp to know what I'm talking about, but think of the beginning of Baja by the Astronauts.

Fortunately, I find the rest of the voices on the Hall Of Fame pedal to be great sounding and totally worth a spot on my pedal board. Now, just need to nail that surf setting!

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Hall Of Fame Reverb > Fender 63 Reverb Tank?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: The HoF cannot do the spring drip and many other pedals come a lot closer closer (I'm thinking Strymon flint, FRV-1, Super Spring Theory, etc.). If you absolutely need that drip, this is not the pedal. Also, the HoF does not have the EQ facilities we'd need to get close to the sound of an outboard unit like the Fender '63 RI. I frankly could live very happily without the drip but getting the EQ right, I have tried and tried and tried. With a parametric mid control and maybe a saturation like there is on the delay editor, perhaps, but otherwise no, it can't be done with the existing editor.

Oh yeah, and the editor's "diffuse" control is useless.

In terms of spring reverbs that are perfectly great if you don't need 100% authentic surf tones, the Tarantula toneprint is indeed excellent, Robben Ford's Spring Fever is also great. And I have a toneprint in my editor which adds a touch of Thru Zero flanger for more spring flutter and I use the modulation Hi Cut as a filter to take some of the too-high high frequencies out. I also did a passable copy of the EHX Holy Grail spring. Frankly, on stage, none of it makes any difference - most of the nuances between different reverb sounds get lost in the mix, and only guitar players who know to listen would ever appreciate it.
Guitarist, Guitar Teacher, Guitar Tech, ex-physicist.