Solution Leader

Harmony G-XT 2

Hi All,

Calling all Harmony G-XT owners!

I'd like to explore making an updated version. It's been a great unit for us over the years, but we've got the opportunity to redo/remake the unit from scratch.

I don't even have a napkin drawing at this point, but I wanted to get some feedback from you right away.

1. What do you love about Harmony G-XT?
2. What sucks?
3. What feature is the LEAST useful to you? What could we remove to make it simpler?
4. From our current available tech, what would you add? (BodyRez? Anti-Feedback?, Something else?)
5. What price would work for you? Give an honest opinion of what would make you feel really comfortable with upgrading from your original G-XT (provided the features are compelling of course!)
6. Any thoughts on how you'd like it to look and feel? More/less switches, knobs, buttons etc?

Lay it on me!
Cheers, Craig Brand Solutions Leader - Broadcast & Streaming
Tags (1)
CraigFraser Solution Leader 2017-07-19

2017-07-19

Harmony G-XT 2

Hi All,

Calling all Harmony G-XT owners!

I'd like to explore making an updated version. It's been a great unit for us over the years, but we've got the opportunity to redo/remake the unit from scratch.

I don't even have a napkin drawing at this point, but I wanted to get some feedback from you right away.

1. What do you love about Harmony G-XT?
2. What sucks?
3. What feature is the LEAST useful to you? What could we remove to make it simpler?
4. From our current available tech, what would you add? (BodyRez? Anti-Feedback?, Something else?)
5. What price would work for you? Give an honest opinion of what would make you feel really comfortable with upgrading from your original G-XT (provided the features are compelling of course!)
6. Any thoughts on how you'd like it to look and feel? More/less switches, knobs, buttons etc?

Lay it on me!

• 0 Kudos
  • 14 Replies
Contributor - Level 1

Harmony G-XT Changes

I can't think of anything I'd do to change it.

I've had mine for several years and have used it in church many times and also for solo engagements. It's worked perfectly every time. I like the versatility that it has for setting up harmonies as opposed to some of TC's other products which seem more pre-programmed.

Almost every time I've used it in church, someone will ask me afterward how I'm able to sing along with myself.

The thing is build like a tank and has held up very well.
Contributor - Level 1

Dial issues

Hi Craig
One thing that I would like to see changed are the dials along the top of the unit
They are so easy to turn that occasionally a cable from the guitar
Can be dragged across the unit and actually move the dials so
The gain can turn up causing loud feed back in the middle of a song
Or the harmonies could be turned so low you can't hear them.
You don't realize what happened right away and causes big problems during
live performances - it would be great to make those dials harder to turn so that
A cable being dragged over it can't turn the dials - that is my only issue - it is a great unit-
I bought a Harmony Singer 2 to use for live performances now - partly because of this problem
and partly because it's more portable and easier to use on stage, but I still use my Harmony GX-2 in studio for recording. Both get units!
Thanks to TC Helicon!
Randy Doran
Contributor - Level 1

Harmony G-XT Upgrades

Hi Craig
Take note:
1. More Presets/styles/effects (Reverb / Delay / Chorus / Detune)
2. Edition software
3. Room sense
4. Anti-feedback!!!
5. Switch 3 / 6 Compatible (Tap tempo/presets/etc.)
6. Aux in
7. Headphone out
8. Screen scratches easily!!!

Thanks Craig and Tc Helicon!
Contributor - Level 1

Some essentials, some wishes

For me a must:
- Separate the reverb block from other FX so one can have reverb in addition too not instead of other FX
- Keep the same footprint (or at least not larger)
- Updated harmony algorithm (I'm guessing there's a newer one from another unit)
- Savable (by preset) individual volume settings for Harmony, Reverb & FX... so smart dials or something?

It would be nice (I think some of these would be essential, but not all):
- A different color (maybe white), and maybe a little lighter weight (though the sturdy case is great!)
- Smart-momentary/latch If you hold the "harmony-on" button for more then two seconds (or so) It switches back off on release... this way it can just be on for short periods - with only one "tap" (I believe someone else already mentioned something similar)
- Body-Rez (all three versions)/Anti-feedback would be nice
- A simple looper is great in a harmony pedal
- A "D/I-mode" where one of the stereo outputs becomes the Guitar "D/I" output (but don't loose the wet/dry output as an option, it's great! and one of the main reasons I bought g-xt)
- A price-point of $150 (or less) would feel like a good deal (or maybe offer this price to folks who already own an older G/G-XT)
- A USB-Editor (not just backup)
- A handful of "weird" vocal effects... built in or for download (for fun)
- recess the mic-volume, it acts more like a trim so it could be flatter and harder to access (and turn by accident)
- midas pre-amp Smiley Wink

It can go (in my opinion):
- The tuner
Solution Leader

Re: Harmony G-XT 2

Thanks SO much for the detailed reply!

I've got a great list so far to help me put together a little napkin drawing for us to jam on.
Contributor - Level 1

Harmony G XT

I use the momentary switch facility on my Voicelive 3 all the time. I really miss this on my GXT and for that reason I don't use it. If I'd known (and done a little more research) I'd not have bought it. I'd happily sacrifice the tuner/bypass option if this could be adapted.
In the meantime it sits on the shelf. Maybe I'll just have to adapt instead.

Mick Nolan
Ireland
Solution Leader

Thanks Mick. Momentary is definitely a useful feature I could see us adding into a new H G-XT.
Contributor - Level 1

Notched knobs

Similar to e response above..Anything on the floor at a gig with "smooth" dial/ knobs can turn easily...please consider making the knobs "notched", to click into place and staySmiley Happy
Highlighted
Solution Leader

Hi All,

Two questions:

1. Do you play electric, acoustic or both through your G-XT?
1a. If you use electric, is it always using the in/thru and off to other processing?

2. Do you ever use the "manual" button for setting harmony key/scale?
2a. If yes, would you be happy if you could hold both buttons and strum a chord on your guitar to set the key/scale?

In order to add things like anti-feedback or bodyrez but keep the size similar we'll need to re-purpose some controls.