Contributor - Level 2

Hypergravity Compressor Pedal

Hello,

I got an Hypergravity pedal a while back and I'm only now getting to mess around with it. I think I was able to update the firmware yesterday (although the instructions say the pedal should restart when it's done but it didn't seem like it did - although I'm not sure what I was looking for, the light going back to red maybe? It didn't, it just turned off... anyway...). I have a few issues / questions (I'm a total noob with TC pedals so I hope I'm not asking dumb questions but there's a chance I am, so please forgive me in advance):

My first issue is that when I open the Toneprint Editor app on my Mac, the editor doesn't show a graphical representation of the pedal on the screen. The right side is just blank. I have to select a toneprint and edit it for anything to show up on the right side. That being said when I edit the parameters I can tell that the software is following the knobs on the pedal so I suppose it's working OK? I'm not sure...

Second issue was to beam toneprints to the pedal. I have an Android phone (Moto G6) and it's not working apparently... however if I plug in headphones to the phone and put the headphones next to the pickup it works... weird... has anyone been able to beam toneprints using a Moto G phone?

My third and last issue is with the Stratocomp toneprint. For whatever reason it seems like the gain level for this toneprint is way (and I mean WAY) higher than the gain for the spectra setting for example... which kind of sucks, if I want to switch from spectra to toneprint the level goes way high and it destroys everybody's ears... Is there a way around that? And is it normal?

Thanks!

Hypergravity Comp
ogandou Contributor - Level 2 2019-09-08

2019-09-08

Hypergravity Compressor Pedal

Hello,

I got an Hypergravity pedal a while back and I'm only now getting to mess around with it. I think I was able to update the firmware yesterday (although the instructions say the pedal should restart when it's done but it didn't seem like it did - although I'm not sure what I was looking for, the light going back to red maybe? It didn't, it just turned off... anyway...). I have a few issues / questions (I'm a total noob with TC pedals so I hope I'm not asking dumb questions but there's a chance I am, so please forgive me in advance):

My first issue is that when I open the Toneprint Editor app on my Mac, the editor doesn't show a graphical representation of the pedal on the screen. The right side is just blank. I have to select a toneprint and edit it for anything to show up on the right side. That being said when I edit the parameters I can tell that the software is following the knobs on the pedal so I suppose it's working OK? I'm not sure...

Second issue was to beam toneprints to the pedal. I have an Android phone (Moto G6) and it's not working apparently... however if I plug in headphones to the phone and put the headphones next to the pickup it works... weird... has anyone been able to beam toneprints using a Moto G phone?

My third and last issue is with the Stratocomp toneprint. For whatever reason it seems like the gain level for this toneprint is way (and I mean WAY) higher than the gain for the spectra setting for example... which kind of sucks, if I want to switch from spectra to toneprint the level goes way high and it destroys everybody's ears... Is there a way around that? And is it normal?

Thanks!

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Triber Moderator

Re: Hypergravity Compressor Pedal

Salut Olivier,

the quote from the manual is a bit outdated and refers to a version where we didn't had so many templates and just some settings at starting point.

Now , in order to edit, you click on the template tab, choose one of the available toneprints as a starting point and then hit the pencil icon to edit and then you can see all available parameters and mappings and can tweak them to your liking.

With the next big upate of the TP app we hope to have an updated manual ready and also work on a mouse over help for all the parameters to help with the editing.

if the serialnumber isn't read out via the app, it is not a problem at all  and can happen.

let me know how the suggestion works. The HyperGravity is quite a complex pedal, but once you get a hang of it, it really pays out . What i love about it is that you can use it also as a sort of dynamic EQ and change the tonal balance with the individual gains of the 3 bands.  Try the dynaQ template (note that the knobs have a non standard mapping and control the gain of each band). it has also some hidden features that are not accessible via editor , but are used in some templates . (the Compander and compander + ratio templates have a "noise gate"  build in that reduces noise floor on top of having the multiband comp)

Cheers,

Mike

TC Mike | Triber Moderator, Music Tribe Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution! Community Guidelines | FAQs
Triber Moderator

you are right,attack time set the time it takes for the ompressor to start working once the signal passes the set threshold. You usually don't want the compressor to to start gain reduction at once as to keep  the transients of your signal intact

TC Mike | Triber Moderator, Music Tribe Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution! Community Guidelines | FAQs
Triber Moderator

Hi Ogandou,

to check wether the firmware update was successfull, click on "Settings" tab of the editor and there you can see the firmware version of the connected pedal. It should say "706"

hg firmware vewrsion.PNG

As to wether you see the FX parameters of a Toneprint depends wether it is a template (can be editted) or an artist toneprints (cannot be edited due not all artist want to share settings) 

to create your own toneprints, select the template tab, then one of the templates and hit the pencil icon to edit parameters, pot mappings etc.. 

If beaming works via headphone out, it points out an issue with the Moto GP speaker, which has to be magnetic in order for beaming via pickup to work.  Can see the pedal LED reacting at all when pointing you Moto G speaker to your pickup (should be within 30cm distance) ?? i don't have a moto G here for testing, but think i remember to hear of similar issues from a different customer.

Alternbatively you can just transfer yout custom TPs via USB when working with the editor on mac platform.

As for the "make up gain " neede to compensate the gain reduction of the comptressor of the toneprints, it depends partly wether a Toneprint has auto-make up gain en-abled or not . You can use the gain response curve window of the editor to get a better picture of what's happening level wise.

The StratoComp template has a different level mapping and parameter mapping compared to the default spectra setting, so they react quite different with the same potmeter positions.

To match them better level wise, try remapping the level potmeter to a different curve that matches the spectra setting better: (something like this)

stratoComp.PNG

Hope this helps .

With best regards from the Tc tribers,

Mike

Contributor - Level 2

Thanks Mike. I do see the 706, so that part's good. Mine doesn't display the S/N though, just "?". Is that normal?

So just to clarify: this is what the manual says (emphasis mine): "When you have opened TonePrint Editor on your computer with a TonePrint-enabled TC product connected to it, TonePrint Editor should automatically detect the connected device and show you a graphical representation of its parameters on screen." In my case there's no representation of the parameters on screen. Just a blank space on the right (and the pedals/templates on the left). It might be normal, it's just not what the manual says so I'm a little unsure. Now, if I edit a toneprint (like the stratocomp) I can see how moving the knobs on the pedal affects some stuff in the editor so it looks like the software is reading the knobs correctly.

I'll try what you suggested for the stratocomp toneprint. Thanks again!

Olivier

Hypergravity Comp
Triber Moderator

Salut Olivier,

the quote from the manual is a bit outdated and refers to a version where we didn't had so many templates and just some settings at starting point.

Now , in order to edit, you click on the template tab, choose one of the available toneprints as a starting point and then hit the pencil icon to edit and then you can see all available parameters and mappings and can tweak them to your liking.

With the next big upate of the TP app we hope to have an updated manual ready and also work on a mouse over help for all the parameters to help with the editing.

if the serialnumber isn't read out via the app, it is not a problem at all  and can happen.

let me know how the suggestion works. The HyperGravity is quite a complex pedal, but once you get a hang of it, it really pays out . What i love about it is that you can use it also as a sort of dynamic EQ and change the tonal balance with the individual gains of the 3 bands.  Try the dynaQ template (note that the knobs have a non standard mapping and control the gain of each band). it has also some hidden features that are not accessible via editor , but are used in some templates . (the Compander and compander + ratio templates have a "noise gate"  build in that reduces noise floor on top of having the multiband comp)

Cheers,

Mike

Contributor - Level 2

Merci Mike! Smiley Tongue One last question: I'm not quite sure yet which way the "Attack" knob works, and it's not quite obvious from just listening unfortunately (you're right it's a complicated pedal, still trying to wrap my head around it, it's my first time with a compressor). One description I found is: "The Attack control determines how percussive your note attacks sound; the longer the attack time, the more of the original peak gets through before gain reduction is applied, giving the classic country-music ‘snap’. " Is that an accurate description? Longer attack time = turn the knob clockwise? So the more I turn the knob counter-clockwise, the quicker the compression sets in?

Another description - quick start guide - says: "Attack - Adjusts how quickly full compression is applied to the signal." I'm just not sure which way is quicker From the above I'd say counter-clockwise, right? So the knob controls the time until the compression sets in? So 0 = compression sets in very fast and full on clockwise = compression sets in very slowly (and therefore most of the signal gets through before it can be compressed)?

Hypergravity Comp
Triber Moderator

you are right,attack time set the time it takes for the ompressor to start working once the signal passes the set threshold. You usually don't want the compressor to to start gain reduction at once as to keep  the transients of your signal intact