Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

MASH volume pedal?

Hey guys,

I have been looking for a volume pedal to do Swells with on my really small pedal board. My signal chain is guitar -> Flashback delay -> Reverb -> Amp. I have been thinking of adding a volume pedal between the guitar and delay in order to do big swells that sustain while I play the next chord/note.

After hearing about the MASH pedal built into the flashback V2 and others, I thought that would make a great replacement for a volume pedal! No contact is full volume, hard press is silent, as the press lightens, the volume comes back in. Wouldn't be any good for setting a reduced volume and leaving it, but would be great for quick swells, which is exactly what I want to use it for! Do you guys make any pedals that can do this? Can I make a pedal do this with a custom TonePrint?

Alternatively, I found this demo of the Hall of Fame 2, and it looks like he is doing swells with MASH, but then I see him also using the volume on his guitar. Would I just need to get a Hall of Fame 2 to do what I want? Or is there more going on here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoHvAoiHJuI
Tags (1)
derek Contributor - Level 1 2018-11-20

2018-11-20

MASH volume pedal?

Hey guys,

I have been looking for a volume pedal to do Swells with on my really small pedal board. My signal chain is guitar -> Flashback delay -> Reverb -> Amp. I have been thinking of adding a volume pedal between the guitar and delay in order to do big swells that sustain while I play the next chord/note.

After hearing about the MASH pedal built into the flashback V2 and others, I thought that would make a great replacement for a volume pedal! No contact is full volume, hard press is silent, as the press lightens, the volume comes back in. Wouldn't be any good for setting a reduced volume and leaving it, but would be great for quick swells, which is exactly what I want to use it for! Do you guys make any pedals that can do this? Can I make a pedal do this with a custom TonePrint?

Alternatively, I found this demo of the Hall of Fame 2, and it looks like he is doing swells with MASH, but then I see him also using the volume on his guitar. Would I just need to get a Hall of Fame 2 to do what I want? Or is there more going on here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoHvAoiHJuI

• 0 Kudos
  • 6 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: MASH volume pedal?

Hello Derek,

I have a Flashback2.
i'm not shure to understand what you want to do. When you say "No contact is full volume, hard press is silent, as the press lightens, the volume comes back in", are you taking about dry signal, wet signal, or both ?
Contributor - Level 1

I am referring to dry signal. So it would act just as a volume pedal in front of the delay would.
Contributor - Level 2

Hello Derek,

i understand what you want.

Unfortunately I don't manage to do it with my FB2.

In Toneprint Editor 4, the Mash button can be assigned to the "In Level unBypassed".
So I chose the settings this way :
- in the router panel : "In Level unBypassed" = -0 db and "kill dry always" is disabled
- in the mapping panel : delay = "delay - delay 1", feedback = "Delay - FB 1", level = "router - FX level"
- in the mash panel : mash mapping = "Router - In Level unBypassed", starting from default= 100%, then I do a curve to reach -100dB when the mash button is fully engaged.

The result is : when I fully engage the mash button, I got the normal dry signal and no delay.

What I understand is that dry and wet signal are in parallel and not in series.
The "In Level unBypassed" controls the amount of dry signal going to the delay loop, and in parallel, the dry signal is normally going out from the pedal.

Maybe there is a way to obtain what you want by killing the dry, and put the delay 2 to zero ms.
There is a toneprint from which I can start from, it's the "toneprint 3", which is the default toneprint for the third slot of FB2 pedal.

I'll try and come back to you
Contributor - Level 2

My second try doesn't give the result we want...

The idea was not bad : kill the dry and use a delay2 @0ms in parallel to replace the dry signal.

But there are several problems :
- delay 1 and delay 2 share the same "Fx level",
- delay 1 and delay 2 share many other parameters, so delay 2 (= dry signal) would be "wet" also (modulation...),
- "tape delay" for example can't be set to 0 ms (minimum 60 ms).

So I'm not saying it's impossible, i'm just saying I'm not able to find a solution.
Maybe Mike@TC will.

I don't have a volume pedal, and when I want to achieve this result, I use the volume knob of my Strat.
Maybe in the future, I'll buy a second hand volume pedal.
Contributor - Level 2

Derek,

I didn't achieve exactly what you wanted, but I have at least something that "could" be a volume pedal style swell :

When I play a chord : no sound at all. Just after that (my strings are still ringing) : as I engage slowly the mash button, the swell arrives and increase. I release the mash button, the swell goes on, and I can restart a new chord.

Router panel
- "In Level unBypassed" = -100 dB
- Kill dry always = on
Knob mapping
- Delay knob controls "Delay - Delay 1" and "Delay - Delay 2"
- Feedback knob controls "Delay - Fb 1" and "Delay - Fb 2"
- Level knob controls "Router - Fx Level" (set the knob to high level or max level)
Mash mapping
the mash button controls the "Router - In Level unBypassed" with these settings : no pressure=default (-100dB), pressure@25%= -100dB, pressure@50%= -30dB, pressure@75%= -7dB, pressure@100%= -0dB.

A big difference with this TP and what you wanted : there is no dry signal in this TP.

Starting from this point, I'll try to add a control somewhere to enable/disable dry signal.
Triber Moderator

Hi guys,

using MASH switch of one of our MASH enabled pedals won't be able to substitute or emulate a classic volume control for just the dry input signal, but  there is a sort of workaround by using the "In Level unbypassed " parameter mapped to MASH switch on the Fb2 though . Since this controls just the dry input signal into the delay engine, but NOT to the output, you have to use the wet only signal to achieve this and therfore both delay lines have to be set to 0 ms delaytime and 0 percent feedback with kill dry activated at all times.

You can modify the default Toneprint 3 template to do this. See screenshots below:

• since this is a Crystal type delay Tp , first disable the octaver by reseting "octaver to effect" parameter on "router page" to "-100" and then set "Enable" parameter on the Octaver page to "off" 
  • now modify the MASH mapping as seen below:  killdry : always "on" + in Level unbypassed 

fb2 input level mash1.PNG

- as a next step set all delaytimes and feedback parameters for the delays to "0" 

fb2 input level mash2.PNG

• now is a good time to save your edit as a user toneprint for later use and modification
  • Transfer the Toneprint to one of your FB2 Toneprint slots ands you have now a dynamic volume control via FB2's MASh switch. :cathappy

Hope this helps,

Mike

P.s. a dedicated MASH based volume control is of course not a bad idea at all. especially for small boards where footprint matters, so rest assured that we consider this at one point in the future

TC Mike | Triber Moderator, Music Tribe Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution! Community Guidelines | FAQs