Contributor - Level 2

Mapping ASSIGN to note on velocity

Hi,
Seems like this CV is reset as soon as you release a key. It would be much more useful (and common) if the CV keeps the last value until the next note on velocity is detected.
Regards /Martin
reppaz Contributor - Level 2 2018-08-26

2018-08-26

Mapping ASSIGN to note on velocity

Hi,
Seems like this CV is reset as soon as you release a key. It would be much more useful (and common) if the CV keeps the last value until the next note on velocity is detected.
Regards /Martin

• 0 Kudos
  • 7 Replies
Triber Moderator

Re: Mapping ASSIGN to note on velocity

Hi Martin, welcome to the forum!

Thanks for posting this here in the forum. After speaking with our product developers about this they confirm that the behavior you explained here is indeed correct and working as intended. That said, I went ahead and moved your topic into the Feature Request Section. Please see my detailed explanation below.

They were able to confirm the following:

Presently this CV goes to 0V when the key is released. We couldn't find any examples of how this had been implemented in other products so we took an educated guess to switch it off on key release. It might be possible to add in the ability to hold the voltage until the next "Note On" if that's what most users expect.

So if the majority of people agree and relay to us here that this is how they expect it to function, then our developers are willing to consider looking into adding this as a new feature in a future firmware update.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope that you are otherwise enjoying your Neutron experience thus far. Smiley Wink
Michael Lapke
Contributor - Level 2

I can confirm that other devices would hold the Voltage at the last velocity received.
(but ignoring Note-Off which can have velocity, and ignoring Note-On where Velocity = 0, which is used by some controllers instead of Note-Off).

Essentially there is a need for the the Voltage to maintain during the Release phase of the ADSR for VCA. What Happens now is a sharp click that can't be fixed (well could use SLEW)

There's also an issue where when playing legato the voltage drops while a note is still being held down. i.e. the note off from a key which isn't sounding causes the drop to "0V".

Would be brilliant to see this sorted in the firmware.

Arturia Keystep is an example of device generating Velocity voltage, seems to be popular with Neutron users.
I've tried the 2 devices together and the Velocity function using the CV from Keystep has a really good feel. (Keystep MOD CV set to velocity, patched to Neutron ATT1 CV. ENV1 patched ATT1 IN, ATT1 patched VCA CV)
Once this is sorted in Neutron then this excellent velocity control will be possible with any decent midi keyboard controller.
Contributor - Level 1

Use Note Off Velocity

Hello,

I was also surprised by the behavior of ASSIGN value on note release.
But it is interesting in some patches because the sound can radically change and sounds as two different patches.
I think it would be better to let ASSIGN take the value of Note Off Velocity.
Doing like that we can keep the current behavior (with more control) and also program the same velocity for Note On and Off to have the behavior described in previous posts.

Here is an example of a patch using the current behavior: https://soundcloud.com/julien-eres/le-decadent-dans-lascendant/s-YSSbK
The first synth is a MS20 mini, the Neutron start just before the kick.
Note On Velocity from ASSIGN change the LFO rate and the LFO is connected to Neutron FREQ and MS20 LPF Freq and OSCs Freq Mod.

Thanks,
Julien
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Agree

I concur with original post- would be great for Assign to maintain output until next velocity change.
Contributor - Level 2

George Ray;151834 wrote:
I concur with original post- would be great for Assign to maintain output until next velocity change.

Yes.
Following the Note-Off velocity doesn't seem a good general solution.
Support for Velocity included in note-offs can't be assumed in keyboards, may send vel=0 all the time so we'd be back to square one.
(and the advantage described is rather niche...for those using a sequencer when they are able and willing to edit every sinle note-off velocity)

Obviously if it could be a user selectable option then it's cool.
Contributor - Level 2

I registered to this site just to report this velocity issue only to see others have already reported on it. But I'll add to it anyway. It currently works incorrectly and needs to be fixed... But here's a temporary work-around until that happens. Run the Velocity output into the S/H unit. Run the Midi Gate output into the S/H clock. The S/H will now hold the velocity even after you lift off the key. Then patch the output of the S/H (the correct velocity behavior) to wherever you want.
Contributor - Level 2

Issue Solved!

This issue fixed in the 2.0 Firmware.
Now have Velocity CV held as appropriate.

Also, velocity voltage is now remembered by any held note. Strange but true.

example,

Hold down a C key, Velocity CV 2.44V, keep it down
Press a D key and hold, Velocity CV is 3.21V
Press E key, Velocity CV is 4.87V

Release E key, CV goes back to 3.21V, keep C held.
Release D key, CV goes back to 2.44V

and so on. Not expected behaviour, but cool.