RainerDoeffinge Contributor - Level 2 2018-12-12

2018-12-12

Neutron App not finding Neutron Synth via USB

Hi all, my Neutron Synth is connected via USB to my Macbook Pro (OS High Sierra) and I am using Ableton Live 10 as a DAW. Today I updated the Firmware of the Synth to version 2.0.0 (update was shown as "completed" and I was asked to turn the synth off and on). I also downloaded the Neutron App/Editor but it's not connecting to the Synth. When clicking on the USB symbol on top right corner, it's showing an error "Neutron not connected". The connection seems to work though as Ableton is finding the Neutron as a USB (Midi) device. Anyone having the same issues? Thanks.

• 4 Kudos
  • 58 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Neutron App not finding Neutron Synth via USB

Yeah, this is irritating. I've reinstalled drivers with Zadig, etc at least 10 times now and nothing changes, USB MIDI still doesn't work. It bothers me that this thread is over a couple months old, and nobody from Behringer has piped in with a definitive response for what driver will work with Windows 10 (hint: WinUSB (v6.1.7600.16385)) isn't the answer), where to get it, and how to get it installed.

I think the Neutron is an amazing little box and I love it, but this is stupid. I plug in my Moog Grandmother, and it just works. No screwing around, no downloading utilities and going through arcane boot procedures, no nothing. It just works. I think Behringer can up its game here a bit.  Say SOMETHING, if there's a bug in the firmware ok just say so, and give an idea when it'll be fixed... but don't leave your customers wasting their time please.

Contributor - Level 2

Neutron app hates any virtual midi drivers running here on Mac, things like Bidule midi, Touchable, Orb composer. quit all those then the app should run.

Contributor - Level 1

Hi there, after many unsuccesful attempts, I finally found a way to fix this issue. So the first thing you must do is to turn off neutron. Take a pen and press the "boot" button at the back while you turn on the machine. Launch the firmware updater and you will see that the update button will lit. Press the update button and wait until it finishes. When its done, turn off and then back on the machine and there you go. Now you can launch the neutron app and you will see that the top USB indicator will be active. Im on imac sierra. Hope that helps

Contributor - Level 2

It seems this is more of a Windows 10 problem than an apple problem. Was able to get the firmware updater to work, but there's no USB MIDI functionality afterward. USB connectivity appears intact to Windows 10, just not MIDI.  And the Neutron app doesn't think it's connected.

Triber Contributor

After some testing I have found that it is an issue with the applications compatibility with Windows 10. The application works swimmingly with Windows 7, however Windows 10 will only recognize it outside of the application. I will see what I can do about getting in contact with our developers for a fix.

Side Note: Be weary of attempting to use Zadig to remedy the situation as you can take away from your systems HID driver settings and lose connection to other USB devices. 

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Troy, thanks for digging into it.  Please keep us posted!

Triber Contributor

Hey all, just a quick update. There does seem to be a bug with the software and its capability on Windows 10. A ticket has been raised to address the issue; I will comment back when it seems to be fixed! 

Triber Contributor

Hey all! I have an update for both the application and synth. If you are still experiencing issues with connectivity, direct message me and I will send them over. 

Contributor - Level 1

Hello, Took me all night.. but I finally got firmware updater installed. But the Neutron App STILL will not recognize the Neutron on Windows 10.
Contributor - Level 1

Yes please I'd love an update for either or both if it helps me connect the app.

Is there a way to patch the synth to play only on Midi input instead of droning forever (the coninuous LFO at play)

Except for the synth not connecting I'm absolutely blown away at this device.
I'm looking forward to learning how to use it better

thanks behringer <3

edit:
I have a mac too, on the mac it connects to the Neutron App fine so the issue is Windows Drivers or the Firmware not having some property that windows' USB requires. I only have Ableton on Windows so the Neutron working for Mac is useless to me.

I neglected to 'remove the midi cable when updating firmware' I'll try flash firmware to 2.0 again without the cable being plugged in.

It seems that while the Firewire to USB cable is plugged in, the front Midi Input on the Neutron doesn't work even if the Neutron isn't connected to anything on the linked PC.

getting soooo amped waiting on