Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

No auto quantize, correct?

Like on the RC loopers. Has everything else but not that. I know you can do it with the click but I mean the RC looper can figure out where to trim the loop so it stays perfectly in time even with no click. Or is there a way to do that on the VL3?
Tags (1)
TonySilver Contributor - Level 2 11-20-2015

11-20-2015

No auto quantize, correct?

Like on the RC loopers. Has everything else but not that. I know you can do it with the click but I mean the RC looper can figure out where to trim the loop so it stays perfectly in time even with no click. Or is there a way to do that on the VL3?

• 0 Kudos
  • 12 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: No auto quantize, correct?

Hi Tony,

If I understood your question correctly, the answer is Yes, there is! SMAT looper mode with met OFF will quantize the later loops to the first loop length. Give it a try!

Janne
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks, understood. Howabout the very 1st loop? RC looper will analyse the 1st loop & trim the end for you so it's a perfect length (without using click).
Contributor - Level 2

VL3 doesnt do that Tony, thats why i still use my RC300 Smiley Happy
Contributor - Level 2

Right... Well that's my only (minor) gripe about this otherwise amazing unit. With all the technology under the hood you would think etcetc... Must be a conscious decision on their part. Can't think why they would do that. The RC loopers are the most popular in the game, there's a reason for that. & even my cheapo Zoom fx pedal does it. I just want it all in one box! Is that too much too ask??? Que Sera!
Contributor - Level 2

This works the same as Boomerang III. The length of the first loop defines and syncs the rest. With some practice, works just fine for me at least.
Contributor - Level 2

What exactly is the "perfect length" for a given loop, and how does the RC make that determination? I was under the impression the "smart" part of the VL3 quantizes to the nearest beat. So if you want a 4 beat loop and you're slow to stomp the button, the VL3 might make it a 5 beat loop as it doesn't know what you're really trying to do.

With the Infinity looper, you could configure it for a certain measure, and when you pressed record, it would record for one measure (or 2 or 3...) than start playing back automatically. It was a handy feature, until you wanted to change the measure, then you had to either remember what preset was configured for the new song's time signature, or re-configure with the software.

The VL3, like the Boomerang, lets the user basically set the measure on the fly with the length of the first loop, assuming the user can get it right. The difficult part for me has been recording loop B in time with A, because when I'm slow to stomp the button, the "smart" thing instantly adds silence and effectively doubles the length of B to make it exactly twice the length of A. It does that to keep the two slots in sync, I just wish there was an option to stop recording at the end of the initial loop. It's awesome that we can extend the length of the second loop, but when the machine punishes me for a slow reaction time, it makes me nuts. There are times when I don't want to make B twice the length of A. The workaround seems to be perfecting my timing (never gonna happen) or overdub A, instead of using a different loop slot, which is less than ideal. I love the VL3 as a whole, but it's looper and I are just friends at this stage.
Contributor - Level 2

Steve, if your loop B doesn't have to contain music to its very end, you could instead press it beforehand. Loop B will be the exact length of loop A or its multiply, not any shorter.
Contributor - Level 2

Steve, say you want a 1 bar loop. RC analyses the audio & as long as you hit stop fairly close to what would be the downbeat of the next bar it quantises the end point of the loop so you have a perfect 1 bar loop.
Contributor - Level 2

VL3 can only do that if you play to the click.