Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Nova System Firmware Update

Is there anyone that can direct me to simple diagrams/information on how to connect and update the firmware for Nova Systems? USB to Midi cable? The manual does not address this process in any way....which is a little distressing...
tks
Tags (1)
TEPrewitt23 Contributor - Level 2 2019-02-03

2019-02-03

Nova System Firmware Update

Is there anyone that can direct me to simple diagrams/information on how to connect and update the firmware for Nova Systems? USB to Midi cable? The manual does not address this process in any way....which is a little distressing...
tks

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Nova System Firmware Update

You do need a USB to Midi cable, but even then some of them don't work. I think I used an M-Audio "Uno" converter cable. It's been so long since the last firmware update that I forgot exactly how to do it.

I found these directions here http://downloads.musictri.be/tc-data/documents/releasenotes/NOVA-SYSTEM_Software_ReleaseNotes.html
•Download the latest Nova System 1.2 software installer at the bottom of this page
•Connect the Nova System MIDI Input to the output of your MIDI device
•Double click the installer software; choose your MIDI device in the drop down menu
•Click the "Update" button
Nova System, Carvin Legacy 3, Bogner Ecstasy
Contributor - Level 2

B Money,
Thank You for your help Smiley Happy I am clueless when it comes to midi.... I have a Lexicon Omega recording interface, do you think that would work?
PS
I have not purchased a Nova System yet, but I really like the idea or using the NS as a pedal board. I just want to be prepared to update the unit before I get one.
thanks again...
Contributor - Level 2

I wouldn't worry about the firmware version. It's been so long since the last update, it's likely that any used unit you buy will already be running it. Even if not the latest, it's not like it makes a huge difference. Each update fixes a couple of bugs and seems to introduce a few new ones!
I use the Nova System like a pedal board in the effects loop of my amp. I do not use the Drive section.
Honestly dude, it's a great unit but OLD tech at this point. One the positive side, it's very rugged and reliable, sounds VERY good, simple to operate. Cons: limited effects compared to modern competitors, limited routing options, laughably outdated user interface, no PC editor.
Nova System, Carvin Legacy 3, Bogner Ecstasy