Out of box - HISS and MACHINE NOISE almost drowning out voice
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Brand new unit, upgraded to ..366, all presents too much hiss and digital whining, almost same level as actual voice! So reset to factory defaults, so reset to factory defaults to do this demo (to eliminate error on my part), brought to unity level, unit starts at 1 Harmony 1, with 20 db Mic Gain on SM58 Beta (so not a low input issue). Bringing volume on headphone or XLR up to moderate hearing level for moderate mic volume, the HISS and COMPUTER WHINING is so severe it seems to be at almost the same level as the voice. This renders the unit totally unuseable for ANY application. Please see below link for the recording I made of the noise. Please confirm this is a defect NOT what you call an acceptable premium effects performance?
Is there a setting people should change from default? a hidden button I need to use? Combing the book I cannot find anything that will allow viable noise settings. In any case, the effects as they kick in sound like sand paper - no clarity of definition on anything.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8yf9uim4148740b/VL3X%20NOISE%2C%20factory%20default.mp3?dl=0

Headphones: AKG612 PRO.
A/D unit: Scarlett 18i20,
Monitors: Dynaudio DBM50
Cables: Fully balanced XLR all the way.

This unit is in exchange for a DOA so still brand new. Please advise?
Tags (1)
JohnStaines Contributor - Level 2 02-08-2019

02-08-2019

Brand new unit, upgraded to ..366, all presents too much hiss and digital whining, almost same level as actual voice! So reset to factory defaults, so reset to factory defaults to do this demo (to eliminate error on my part), brought to unity level, unit starts at 1 Harmony 1, with 20 db Mic Gain on SM58 Beta (so not a low input issue). Bringing volume on headphone or XLR up to moderate hearing level for moderate mic volume, the HISS and COMPUTER WHINING is so severe it seems to be at almost the same level as the voice. This renders the unit totally unuseable for ANY application. Please see below link for the recording I made of the noise. Please confirm this is a defect NOT what you call an acceptable premium effects performance?
Is there a setting people should change from default? a hidden button I need to use? Combing the book I cannot find anything that will allow viable noise settings. In any case, the effects as they kick in sound like sand paper - no clarity of definition on anything.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8yf9uim4148740b/VL3X%20NOISE%2C%20factory%20default.mp3?dl=0

Headphones: AKG612 PRO.
A/D unit: Scarlett 18i20,
Monitors: Dynaudio DBM50
Cables: Fully balanced XLR all the way.

This unit is in exchange for a DOA so still brand new. Please advise?

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: Out of box - HISS and MACHINE NOISE almost drowning out voice

Have you pressed the "ground lift" button on the back?

and, does it still do it with every external connection removed ? especially the usb lead to a computer ?

also, There's not a mic lead that's gone astray and wrapped itself around a power supply somewhere hidden is there ?

I've got loads more gain on my mic than you,and theres no where near as much noise. So somethings a-miss.

Somethings not feeding phantom power somewhere it's not meant to go.? perhaps.
Contributor - Level 2

Hi there. That IS with everything disconnected except 1 fully balanced XLR into my AD unit. Disconnecting everything except a mic and headphones, the same terrible noise through headphones. Sounds like another dud to me if your works!
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: Out of box - HISS and MACHINE NOISE almost drowning out voice

If you remove your balanced XLR lead as well. There might be a ground loop between the computer and your Vl3.

Is the Mic set to the right one in the setup ?

To my untrained eye, it sounds like a setting somewhere rather than a duff unit.