Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Perform VG vs VK - midi

Hi,

Im confused about Perform VK and VG. I play guitar, not keyboards. I see the midi in is only available for VK. I need midi not for notes but for Cc program change. Is this not possible with VG?. It doesn’t seem to have a midi input to control from an external device.

Would Peform VK natural play work correctly if you use a guitar into the instrument in isntead of a  keyboard?. In summary I need Midi CC and guitar input. 

TahicheGuillem Contributor - Level 2 2019-08-30

2019-08-30

Perform VG vs VK - midi

Hi,

Im confused about Perform VK and VG. I play guitar, not keyboards. I see the midi in is only available for VK. I need midi not for notes but for Cc program change. Is this not possible with VG?. It doesn’t seem to have a midi input to control from an external device.

Would Peform VK natural play work correctly if you use a guitar into the instrument in isntead of a  keyboard?. In summary I need Midi CC and guitar input. 

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Perform VG vs VK - midi

Anyone?. Please...

Triber Moderator

Hey @TahicheGuillem,
So you need something with harmonies that can be guided by a guitar input and also has MIDI input for CC's eh?  Perform-VK technically fits these criteria, but there are a couple reasons I wouldn't recommend it.  Firstly, the instrument inputs are designed keyboards, which are typically much louder than directly connecting an electric guitar.  So while directly connecting my Epiphone with humbucker pickups here actually worked to guide harmonies in a Perform-VK, I can see guitars with lower output not being loud enough for the harmony algorithm to clearly hear your chords.  Second, and I think this would be a bigger issue, there's no way to silence the instrument input from coming out the VK's main output along with your affected voice.  Reason being, again the VK was made with keyboardists in mind so if you want a silent guide you use the MIDI input for notes, but if you want to hear your keyboard's output then use the instrument input.  Connecting your guitar to a VK is going to mix the guitar signal with your vocals in the main output which you probably don't want.
You're correct that Perform-VG doesn't support MIDI, but have you considered using a footswitch?  You can connect a Switch-3 or Switch-6 to the Perform-VG to control any of its buttons and even change harmony voicings.
If you do indeed need something with MIDI CC support and a guitar input, well the choices are really narrowed down for your then.  VoiceLive Play GTX would have suited your needs perfectly but they didn't sell very well and have been discontinued, if you can find one though they're fantastic.  Aside from that, VoiceLive 3 is our only other vocal processor with a guitar input and MIDI CC support.

Hopefully that's helpful, let me know if you have any other questions, cheers!

Testing engineer at TC Helicon, MUSIC Tribe. Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks for answering, it was helpful. I actually own a Voicelive 3, fantastic gear. The thing is I recently adquired a Helix to make my setup more manageable. I integrated the VL3 with the helix via midi and its great, but it’s just too big. Since I’m not really using the guitar part it’s just overwhelming to have all that at my feet. I wanted something smaller but I do need Midi and the guitar guide. It’s a real downer. 

The thing with the foot switch is that, I said, my goal is to integrate averything. Press on a foot switch and change guitar, vocal and bass (coming from an octaver but on its own path) . A bandmate lent me his harmony singer, it’s ok but I’m stuck with one variation. I guess the voicelive  touch would also work, right?. A shame about the gtx. 

Again, thanks for your help.