Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Remote control Ditto X4 dip switches

Is there a way to remote control the dip switches on the Ditto X4? I use two different settings in a typical live set, and it is extremely inconvenient to squat down and try to to flick the right switch on stage. To make it worse, they are now covered by the midi cable making it even more difficult to change setting.
Tags (1)
LordNelson Contributor - Level 2 2018-12-28

2018-12-28

Remote control Ditto X4 dip switches

Is there a way to remote control the dip switches on the Ditto X4? I use two different settings in a typical live set, and it is extremely inconvenient to squat down and try to to flick the right switch on stage. To make it worse, they are now covered by the midi cable making it even more difficult to change setting.

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies
Triber Moderator

Re: Remote control Ditto X4 dip switches

Dip switch settings are global hardwired settings and cannot be remote controlled.
TC Mike | Triber Moderator, Music Tribe Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution! Community Guidelines | FAQs
Contributor - Level 2

Technically, Mike's "by-the-book" answer is correct - the X4 doesn't have this capability. The DIP switches are physical switches that are checked by software running on the pedal. To make them remotely controllable would require modifying either the pedal hardware, its software, or both. It really depends how much you want to get your hands dirty.

Either option will void any warranty left on your pedal. Caveat emptor.

The software route would require attaching a serial console to the circuit board, booting the pedal, and then using the root shell available over the serial console to modify the X4's software so that it ignored the right-most DIP switch. You'd then need to program it to react to, say, a special sequence of taps on a specific stomp switch. For information on connecting a serial console to an X4, see this thread: http://forum.tcelectronic.com/topic/24716/debugging-a-bricked-ditto-x4/

Unless you're very comfortable with hardware, Linux, and reverse-engineering userland processes on Linux systems, this will be out of reach for you.

The hardware route would involve soldering wires to the two pins corresponding to the right-most DIP switch. Break the wires out to a separate stomp switch next to your X4 and leave the DIP switch in the OFF position. The stomp switch will now control the DIP switch. This is definitely the easier of the two options, but will require that you're handy with tools, know what you're doing when it comes to soldering, and can correctly connect a new switch.

If you have the tools but lack experience doing this, I could talk you through it via this forum and we could document the process for others wanting to try it out. If you don't want to mess with your X4, you're shit outta luck.

Best,
phantom.
Contributor - Level 2

Thank you for the answers. I don't mind a bit of soldering, but cringe whenever I have to code more advanced stuff than simple html Smiley Wink The second suggestions sounds doable. Are there schematics available for the X4? Hooking it up to a small box with four mini switches is probably the way to go. I'm all for doing this with your assistance and documenting it for other people. However, I'll wait until after the next gig in case I f*ck it all up.

It would be a suggestion to TC as well if they ever revise the X4 to make the dip swithches available on the top, like the serial/sync switch.