Contributor - Level 2

Singthing connection to AVR

Wondering if I would be able to connect the singthing using the XLR output to RCA input on my AV receiver. I can buy a female xlr - Y split to left right RCA cable. 

will this work. Or

can I use the headphone jack 3.5mm out to connect to the AV receiver with an 3.5mm to RCA cable. 

Sacman11 Contributor - Level 2 2019-11-29

2019-11-29

Singthing connection to AVR

Wondering if I would be able to connect the singthing using the XLR output to RCA input on my AV receiver. I can buy a female xlr - Y split to left right RCA cable. 

will this work. Or

can I use the headphone jack 3.5mm out to connect to the AV receiver with an 3.5mm to RCA cable. 

• 0 Kudos
  • 6 Replies
Rising Star - Level 2

Re: Singthing connection to AVR

@Sacman11 

XLR has 3 pins. one is ground, two is usually the "signal", with three is the same "signal" with opposite polarity. A balancing transformer is the proper way to supply and isolated the signal. You could go from pin2 to ground to derive an unbalanced signal. OR just use the headphone output. Although the levels will be a bit hot and impedance isn't ideal, it will usually work and you probably already have a cable. Give it a try. 

Contributor - Level 2

Headphone out jack 3.5mm to 3.5mm in the AV receiver 

or do I go 

headphone out jack 3.5mm to left right RCA ends into the AVR 

Rising Star - Level 2

@Sacman11 wrote:

Headphone out jack 3.5mm to 3.5mm in the AV receiver 

If you have one.

or do I go 

headphone out jack 3.5mm to left right RCA ends into the AVR 

I was assuming you had this cable. It should work as long as the headphone volume isn't set too loud.

Contributor - Level 2

I do that the 3.5mm to rca cable and will give it a try when my singthing unit arrives. 

does the monitor speaker turn off by default when the headphone jack is in use and if so is there a setting to turn it on while jack is being used. This is why I was thinking of using the XLR output instead 

Highlighted
Rising Star - Level 2

@Sacman11 

The manual doesn't say. I guess you'll find out when you try it. Maybe you'll have to use XLR.

Triber Moderator

Hey @Sacman11,
Yes SingThing's speaker turns off when the headphone output is connected.  Cheers!

Testing engineer at TC Helicon, MUSIC Tribe. Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.