Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Spectracomp Gain Level Issue

Hi, I've been using a Spectracomp for the last 6 or 8 months and it's done wonders for my tone, but I've recently hit a problem.

Up until recently I was using a Line 6 Pod X3 multi fx unit and when I got the Spectracomp I put that in front to improve the tone.

I decided to change over to individual pedals so I now go via the Spectracomp (and a Polytune) into an EBS Billy Sheehan and then an Ampeg SCR-DI, direct out to the PA. The sound I'm getting is just what I want, but is too hot for the desk input. The Ampeg has two output settings, but the second is far too quiet, so my next option is to reduce the gain level coming out of the Spectracomp.

This seems easy - I connect to the PC, fire up the Toneprint software and edit. Except... once I've edited, regardless of what I do with the gain levels (All, Low, Mid or High) as soon as I press the Save To Pedal button, they all leap up to a higher level again, thus undoing my editing. If I switch off the Auto Make Up Gain, the overall level is way too low.

For now, I've mapped the 3 levels to the knob and lowered them in the lower pane of the editor (and this works), but it means I can't set the knob to adjust other parameters, so it's only a short term fix.

I appear to have up to date firmware and software.

Any ideas please?
Tags (1)
WeeMann Contributor - Level 2 2017-09-22

2017-09-22

Spectracomp Gain Level Issue

Hi, I've been using a Spectracomp for the last 6 or 8 months and it's done wonders for my tone, but I've recently hit a problem.

Up until recently I was using a Line 6 Pod X3 multi fx unit and when I got the Spectracomp I put that in front to improve the tone.

I decided to change over to individual pedals so I now go via the Spectracomp (and a Polytune) into an EBS Billy Sheehan and then an Ampeg SCR-DI, direct out to the PA. The sound I'm getting is just what I want, but is too hot for the desk input. The Ampeg has two output settings, but the second is far too quiet, so my next option is to reduce the gain level coming out of the Spectracomp.

This seems easy - I connect to the PC, fire up the Toneprint software and edit. Except... once I've edited, regardless of what I do with the gain levels (All, Low, Mid or High) as soon as I press the Save To Pedal button, they all leap up to a higher level again, thus undoing my editing. If I switch off the Auto Make Up Gain, the overall level is way too low.

For now, I've mapped the 3 levels to the knob and lowered them in the lower pane of the editor (and this works), but it means I can't set the knob to adjust other parameters, so it's only a short term fix.

I appear to have up to date firmware and software.

Any ideas please?

• 0 Kudos
  • 6 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Spectracomp Gain Level Issue

66 views and no ideas? I'm having real trouble here.

Over the last few weeks I've been watching closely to see what happens. All was well for a couple of gigs, then I'm suddenly sending a hooter than usual setting to the desk. Returning home I've fired up the pc and connected the Spectracomp and booted up the Toneprint software to find the pedal has reset itself to a higher level (my patch is set at -23 dB, it is now showing -17dB).

I store it to pedal again and after a couple of gigs the same happens again.

I've just connected to the pc to have a play before a gig this evening, re-loaded my patch and tried a different approach - boosting the level in this pedal and going for the lower output on the DI box. Surely that will work?

No such luck. After storing a new patch at -12.5dB, whenever I press Store to pedal it leaps back down to the -23dB setting.

Have I got a dodgy pedal? Should I be looking at getting it replaced, or does anyone have any idea what is going on?

I went through some presets and there's no level change when I store them, it only happens on my custom patches.
Contributor - Level 2

If I may share my 2 cents.

I see your problem in the following way. You can never tell what is actually uploaded in your pedal. As soon as you connect the pedal to PC or MAC it will NOT show what are the uploaded settings. It will show you a preset
which is NOT uploaded into the pedal if you know what I mean.

My suggestion to you is (this is the way I roll with SpectraComp), set your desired settings in editor. Save that preset. Upload it to the SC and leave it alone.

I have not had an issue, that would change the uploaded setting in any way in almost a year now. And I have edited my preset at least 10 times and tweaked it to my preference.

But when you connect the pedal it DOES NOT show you the active settings (which is kinda weird) but that is just the way it is...
Contributor - Level 2

nikokaoja wrote:
My suggestion to you is (this is the way I roll with SpectraComp), set your desired settings in editor. Save that preset. Upload it to the SC and leave it alone.

Thanks for your reply.

I agree with everything you've said, but the bit I've quoted is where I have the issue - I get my preset sorted, but the second I press the Store To pedal button, the gain levels change.

I thought had the setting stored to the pedal when I posted last night, but by the time I got to my gig it was boosted again.

A thought did occur to me (and I haven't investigated prior to posting this), but is there an on board battery to allow settings to be stored? If so is it possible there is an issue with this?
Contributor - Level 2

Ooh, I just tried a google search re internal battery and it seems this is a common issue:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/tc-spectra-comp.1201265/page-15

Followed it through and found there's a firmware update that TC seemingly don't make public...

Downloading it now and will see what happens.
Contributor - Level 2

If there is a battery in it, it could be the issue - but I am unaware of it. If you investigate this please let me know, but for now SC works from me well...

I hope you resolve your issue.
Contributor - Level 2

I've tried the firmware update and (so far) all seems good.

Head to https://www.talkbass.com/threads/new-firmware-released-for-tc-electronic-spectra-comp.1268962/ if you're having any trouble - on page two there are links to two firmware updates (668 and 677). I've used the later one and it seems to have done the trick.

It looks like it's related to using an isolated power supply, so if you're just using a single power supply into your pedal, you may not notice a problem.