Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

TC Electronic HyperGravity Compression Pedal

Hi,

Here is an article I found on the main three types of guitar compression pedals:

OTA (Operational Transconductance Amplifier) – The earliest guitar of compression pedals. While the early designs are plagued by noise and have a reputation for colouring tone (regarded as tone-sucking or tone-enhancing depending on who you ask), some modern pedal builders have greatly improved these designs. Best for: general guitar compression, simplicity, colour.

VCA (Voltage Controlled Amplifier) – VCA compressors are the category that most ‘studio-style’ comps fall into. VCA compressors sound very clean and are less likely to colour your tone. They’re also very precise & responsive and often give you studio-style parameter controls (including Attack, Release, Ratio, Threshold, Knee, etc.) Best for: transparency, responsiveness, studio-style control.

MULTIBAND – Multiband compression is typically found in plugin compression software used within a DAW (like Pro Tools, Logic, Ableton Live, etc). It separates your signal into separate frequency bands and compresses each individually for the utmost in carefully controlled dynamics. Best for: in-depth control, precise compression, transparency.

Which types of compressors do people lean more towards? Does anyone have any recommendations when searching for the right compression pedal?

Thanks!

Best regards,
Kayle McGuire
Tags (1)
KayleMcGuire Contributor - Level 2 2017-04-06

2017-04-06

TC Electronic HyperGravity Compression Pedal

Hi,

Here is an article I found on the main three types of guitar compression pedals:

OTA (Operational Transconductance Amplifier) – The earliest guitar of compression pedals. While the early designs are plagued by noise and have a reputation for colouring tone (regarded as tone-sucking or tone-enhancing depending on who you ask), some modern pedal builders have greatly improved these designs. Best for: general guitar compression, simplicity, colour.

VCA (Voltage Controlled Amplifier) – VCA compressors are the category that most ‘studio-style’ comps fall into. VCA compressors sound very clean and are less likely to colour your tone. They’re also very precise & responsive and often give you studio-style parameter controls (including Attack, Release, Ratio, Threshold, Knee, etc.) Best for: transparency, responsiveness, studio-style control.

MULTIBAND – Multiband compression is typically found in plugin compression software used within a DAW (like Pro Tools, Logic, Ableton Live, etc). It separates your signal into separate frequency bands and compresses each individually for the utmost in carefully controlled dynamics. Best for: in-depth control, precise compression, transparency.

Which types of compressors do people lean more towards? Does anyone have any recommendations when searching for the right compression pedal?

Thanks!

Best regards,
Kayle McGuire

• 0 Kudos
  • 6 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Re: TC Electronic HyperGravity Compression Pedal

Kayle,
VCA for me! Sadly, if the HyperGravity is VCA it's doing a very poor job! Very disappointed on the last two TC pedals I've bought (I've tried to remain loyal). Sadly, these two pedals aren't getting it done for me.

I'm a huge fan of everything else!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Tom,

I heard the multiband is probably a bit overkill for guitar in general,
because you normally just want compression on the entire signal. But I really don't know much about that stuff. However, the TC Electronics HyperGravity is multiband.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/hypergravity-compressor/

OTA and VCA must be closely related, because they both take the entire circuit into consideration. In this sense, I was looking at the T-Rex NeoComp.

http://www.t-rex-effects.com/neocomp

I have never had a compression pedal, so I don't know what's best. And because of that, I was thinking of going with the "industry standard" Boss version, the CS-3.

https://www.boss.info/us/products/cs-3/

Between the three above, I'm not sure which to choose. I've read good and bad reviews on all of them. The guys over at Reverb.com strongly suggest the HyperGravity Compressor. Maybe someone could tell me which of three is the best, and maybe some alternatives?

Thanks!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Yes, saw the review on Reverb, and I'm much like you, not knowing much about compressors.

What I'm looking for is something that can give me more sustain at a lower level of playing without necessarily containing or compressing the signal entirely. When I say lower level, I'm playing at church and I can't necessarily go overboard with volume, but can get away with some sustain and overdrive on a few songs. I try to go into this music with a more progressive rock feel to it and to be fair to TC Elec., I'm still really trying to find my sound.
Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

For me, I look for the all important "blend" knob on a compression pedal Smiley Happy I like to keep some of the original signal/dynamics especially for my louder notes.  Typically my compressor is always on and I blend in around 30%,  just enough to lift and sustain the quieter notes for picking and volume swells.

Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

Pick your compressor based on how it sounds to you in your system, not on reviews.

The tc electronic Hypergravity, Hypergravity mini, and SpectraComp are all digital multiband compressors. They are in some respects the "best" compressors on the market (especially considering the price points), because they allow you to change virtually every parametre relevant to compression.

The problem with this, of course, is that unless you have a fairly good idea of how compression works and how to use it effectively, programming a digital multiband compressor without training wheels can be a daunting task.

The newest Boss units, the CP-1X Compressor and the BC-1X Bass Comp are also digital multiband compressors; however, they are optimised for electric guitar and electric bass guitar, respectively, and because of the Boss Compact Pedal format, necessarily limit the number of parametres you can access. For what they are, they are excellent units, but the tc electronic units can be tailored to virtually any application, whereas the Boss units cannot.

Of course, in order to really get the best out of the tc electronic pedals, you also need an external device to program them, but if you are reading this, then you probably have one that will work!

Most of the other compressor pedals on the market are single-band analogue compressors, and while these are obviously not as flexible as digital multiband compressors, many of them are excellent and deliver great results for guitar and/or bass. I am particularly fond of: the Xotic Effects SP (for both guitar and bass), the One Control/BJFe Lemon Yellow Compressor (for guitar and bass), and the MarkBass Compressore (for bass, haven't heard it on guitar).

Many others swear by the Origin Effects Cali76 line, which is a pedal format clone version of a vintage UREI 1176 compressor, and there are even multiband analogue compressor pedals out there, like the 1990s Trace Elliot SMX dual-band compressor pedal that is highly regarded by bassists. There are also some excellent opto-compressor pedals out there.

I have a tc electronic SpectraComp and a Boss BC-1X. I'm currently using the Boss for my bass, and the SpectraComp (using the custom toneprint I wrote for my bass) actually turns out to be spectacular on an acoustic-electric guitar, so right now, it is living on my guitar board. I'm planning on building a third pedalboard that will utilise both the One Control Lemon Yellow and the SpectraComp

I hope that tc electronic someday comes out with a full-size digital multiband stereo compressor/eq pedal, with knobs for compressor blend, eq blend, and makeup gain/output level, plus a switch to control the signal order (comp->eq, or eq->comp). I envision this being used at the end of a pedalboard, for recording or direct-to-PA use.

Gemma Seymour (she/her), Volunteer Moderator, Multi-Instrumentalist, "The Eliza Effect", Northeast United States (UTC -05:00), Lang: en (native), de (bißchen/rostig), jp 日本語 (少し), 40+ yrs public performance, 30+ yrs pro audio, 25+ yrs technology consulting, 20+ yrs gigging/recording artist Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

One of my favorite compressors is the opto-compressor in the Damage Control Womanizer since it operates so transparently.

My White Finger from Electro-Harmonix has character and attitude.

The T-Rex Squeezer is also good, but it is easy to set the dials to a bad setting.

I guess that I need to try some TC-E compressors. I do have the C300 but that is hardly a stomp sized compressor
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!