Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

TC-Helicon VL3X - Direct-to-USB: Wave only contains Guitar, no Voice

Hi There,

Let me first state that VOICELIVE 3 EXTREME really thrills me and I am a fan of the concept of "3 devices in one". I have recently upgraded from VOICETONE HARMONY-G XT which before had opened a new world to me as a singer and musician and VL3X is an exciting step forward.

My issue:
I have recorded direct-to-USB with my new VL3X, playing guitar and singing.
While performing the song I have heard the vocals including the harmonies and acoustic guitar with effects clearly (as you would expect) through the amp (using the XLR-mono and the guitar output of VL3X).
However, when I checked the audio file (actually several individual files, as I had tried the song multiple times) it did only contain the recording of the guitar and NOT the vocals.
Else the audio file looks OK and is in good stereo quality.

I assume that I just miss one of the many possible settings and parameters.

Any idea what could be wrong here and why vocals are missing on the audio file?

Thank's for any hint in advance!

Thomas
ThomStadtmüller Contributor - Level 2 2018-09-20

2018-09-20

TC-Helicon VL3X - Direct-to-USB: Wave only contains Guitar, no Voice

Hi There,

Let me first state that VOICELIVE 3 EXTREME really thrills me and I am a fan of the concept of "3 devices in one". I have recently upgraded from VOICETONE HARMONY-G XT which before had opened a new world to me as a singer and musician and VL3X is an exciting step forward.

My issue:
I have recorded direct-to-USB with my new VL3X, playing guitar and singing.
While performing the song I have heard the vocals including the harmonies and acoustic guitar with effects clearly (as you would expect) through the amp (using the XLR-mono and the guitar output of VL3X).
However, when I checked the audio file (actually several individual files, as I had tried the song multiple times) it did only contain the recording of the guitar and NOT the vocals.
Else the audio file looks OK and is in good stereo quality.

I assume that I just miss one of the many possible settings and parameters.

Any idea what could be wrong here and why vocals are missing on the audio file?

Thank's for any hint in advance!

Thomas

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

VL3X direct-to-usb riddle solved

Hi There,

Adjusting the parameters in the VLX3 menu has solved the issue.

With the the old rule in mind that 'the issue always sits in front of the computer' I have investigated further, doing voice recordings completely without any guitar. And I found out, that the voice was not 'non-existing'. However, its level has been much too low compared to the guitar volume on the direct-to-USB-recording.

How I had created the issue:
I had not considered the output level of my acoustic guitar which was way to high (with volume and EQ levels set to max). This had never caused an issue before, as I had adjusted the Gain on my 'Acus One Forstrings 6' amp accordingly.
When doing the automatic gain config on VL3X (holding the 'Setup' control) this had set the level for dynamic mic much too low compared to the guitar.

Solution:
1. I have reduced the output volume on my acoustic guitar.
2. I have adjusted the gain for mic and guitar on VL3X manually:
- Select Setup on touch control
- use arrow keys to select 'GUITAR' and change 'Input Gain' to 0dB
- use arrow keys to select 'INPUT' and set the Mic Gain to 17dB
3. I have adjusted the Guitar gain on my amp to re-balance the out sound.

The recording levels are now quite ok.
However the overall volume is a bit low, but this I can adjust on the PC.

P.S.:
What I still have to find out is, if and how can I have the guitar and voice separated, each on one of the stereo tracks of the Wave audio file. I hope to find some parameter for panning.

Best,
Thomas
Contributor - Level 1

Re: TC-Helicon VL3X - Direct-to-USB: Wave only contains Guitar, no Voice

Thomas Stadtmüller;152497 wrote:

What I still have to find out is, if and how can I have the guitar and voice separated, each on one of the stereo tracks of the Wave audio file. I hope to find some parameter for panning.

Me 2!

Then manual says 'Direct to USB' recording does record exactly what comes out of the XLR (main) sockets, but I found that even in 'DUAL MONO' mode it records as it was set to STEREO. I'd say this is a bug in either the firmware or the manual.

Can somebody confirm please?
Contributor - Level 2

It’s a Long Way to Tipperary / VL4X with direct-to-usb panning?

Hi Clemens,

good to see other musicians also wonder if and how the VL3X settings for direct-to-usb recording can be parametrized.

I have not yet investigated too much further, as the basic mix-down offered by direct-to-usb is currently sufficient for my purposes.

Looking at your question, I have downloaded the English manual (see: cdn-downloads.tc-helicon.com/media/4008/tc-helicon_vl3x_reference_manual_english.pdf) and found, the recording will always be in STEREO according to "VL3X – Reference manual (updated 2015-10-20)" - p. 84:

[INDENT]Notes about Direct to USB Recording
Each time you start and stop recording, a new file is generated on your USB flash drive.
The audio captured is a direct mirror of the main output signal. This recording is always in two
channel stereo format
and also includes Backing Tracks or loops, if you are using these features.
[/INDENT]

The STEREO recording seems to be fixed, independent of the various DUAL MONO output modes.

My first idea of PANNING the output signal for Guitar and Vocals is not leading anywhere, as according to the manual this is restricted to harmonies, which can be panned.

A second idea is still to be investigated:
You could record only the guitar track at first and then use it as a 'backing track' to record the vocals only in a second row. As per above manual entry the backing track will be mixed to the direct-to-usb recording.
In theory you could then manipulate the 'backing track' to have one stereo channel muted - i.e. change it from stereo to a 'pseudo mono'.
Then the direct-to-usb recording should have the voice channel clean on one of the stereo channels. And form there you could extract it.
Quite a long shot, but I think this is doable. Smiley Tongue

Still, I would imagine, through a firmware update some basic manipulation of the direct-to-usb output signal could be made possible.
Perhaps TC-Helicon will look into the recording topic with the VL4X (which I think was expected for 2019).

Let's keep the faith!

Best
Thomas