Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

TCH Perform VK: Harmony no longer functioning correctly.

Hey, @TCH-Spencer 

My Perform VK Harmony function had been working fine until a couple of weeks ago, it no longer produces harmonies that have anything to do with the chords played on my keyboard.  I'm using a Yamaha CP-4 Stage piano, connected via midi cable to the VK.  When I play the keyboard, the "set" light does flash red which I believe means that it's receiving something.  I've tried updaing the firmware, doing a hard factory reset and re-pairing with the keyboard.  Still produces pretty much the same off harmony no matter what chord I play. Other functions seem to be working OK.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

ParadoxMike Contributor - Level 2 2019-06-20

2019-06-20

TCH Perform VK: Harmony no longer functioning correctly.

Hey, @TCH-Spencer 

My Perform VK Harmony function had been working fine until a couple of weeks ago, it no longer produces harmonies that have anything to do with the chords played on my keyboard.  I'm using a Yamaha CP-4 Stage piano, connected via midi cable to the VK.  When I play the keyboard, the "set" light does flash red which I believe means that it's receiving something.  I've tried updaing the firmware, doing a hard factory reset and re-pairing with the keyboard.  Still produces pretty much the same off harmony no matter what chord I play. Other functions seem to be working OK.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

• 0 Kudos
  • 8 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Triber Moderator

Re: TCH Perform VK: Harmony no longer functioning correctly.

Hey @ParadoxMike,
I find it bizarre that the factory reset didn't make a difference.  I'm wondering if maybe there's something in the firmware that prevents that parameter from being reset.  If possible, can you please try resetting the split point in VK manually?  This is done by holding the "Set" button on the VK and pressing the leftmost key on your keyboard twice - first press sets the MIDI channel and the second press dictates the split point.

key.png

Also, you can attach files to posts but they may be size-limited, in which case you'd have to host it externally (Google Drive or the like) and just share the link.

Testing engineer at TC Helicon, MUSIC Tribe. Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.
Solution Leader

Do you have a transpose function happening on the keypboard?  Some keyboards when you transpose, the notes heard from the keyboard are transposed, but the MIDI out is not.

David Hilderman | Triber, Music Tribe If you found my post helpful, go ahead and give kudos or mark it as a solution! Community Guidelines | FAQs
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks for your suggestion.

I checked this.  It doesn't seem to make a difference whether I am transposing or not. 

I do quite a great deal of transpositon and had not noticed that it ever made a difference when the VK was functioning properly. 

Triber Moderator

Hey @ParadoxMike,
Is there any chance you can try your Perform-VK with a different keyboard?  The fact that you've perfromed a full factory reset on the VK to no effect makes me think the issue could be with your keyboard.
Another thing worth testing is a notes-mode harmony setting on the Perform-VK.  The MIDI notes-mode harmony styles are the last 4 styles in the harmony button, I'd suggest using one of the styles where all the LEDs are green, either the spaced or tight one will do.  In this mode, the notes you play on your keyboard are the harmony voices generated, up to eight voices.  This would be a good test of whether any transposition is going on, since playing a C note on your keyboard should result in a harmony voice singing the same C note.

Testing engineer at TC Helicon, MUSIC Tribe. Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.
Contributor - Level 2

@TCH-Spencer 

Thanks for your quick response and suggestions. 

Alas, I have no other keyboard that has MIDI out via 5 pin cable. 

I do have an Arturia Microbrute monophonic synth that can accept 5 pin MIDI in (its only MIDI out is via USB). So I hooked the CP4's MIDI out to the Microbrute and for all notes played on the piano, the synth responded with the proper note. Thus I'm reasonably sure that the CP4 is giving accurate MIDI out. 

I then took your suggestion and tried a Notes-mode setting. Here it got really weird. If I sang a middle C and played single notes, it gave a harmony voice of the proper pitch BUT ONLY FROM THE G ABOVE MIDDLE C AND HIGHER. Below the G above Middle C I got NOTHING back. So I tried playing chords, both in Natural and Notes modes.  As long as the chords were in the upper registers, I got reasonably good response.  Lower end of the keyboard I got garbage. 

So, I then disconnected the MIDI entirely and ran the 1/4" output from the CP4. This seemed to work across the entire range of the keyboard (albeit with somewhat of a delay before it would change the harmony after the new chord was played. 

I'm pretty confused.  Thoughts?

Contributor - Level 2

Is there a way that I can attach a WAV file with a demo of what it's doing?

Contributor - Level 2

@TCH-Spencer: thoughts?

Triber Moderator

Hey @ParadoxMike,
I find it bizarre that the factory reset didn't make a difference.  I'm wondering if maybe there's something in the firmware that prevents that parameter from being reset.  If possible, can you please try resetting the split point in VK manually?  This is done by holding the "Set" button on the VK and pressing the leftmost key on your keyboard twice - first press sets the MIDI channel and the second press dictates the split point.

key.png

Also, you can attach files to posts but they may be size-limited, in which case you'd have to host it externally (Google Drive or the like) and just share the link.

Contributor - Level 2

@TCH-Spencer 

BINGO!

I was inadvertently/unknowingly placing a set point when pairing the keyboard. I had not yet had any need for the split function and thus had not paid much attention to how that worked. I'm pretty sure that what I had been doing was holding the set button down and playing a key more than once, not realizing that more than a single strike would have other effects than connecting the MIDI.

Thanks for your time and patience. 

Mike