Contributor - Level 1

TV Helicon Mic Mechanics 2 with extra harmony

Hi,

I use a TC Helicon Mic mechanics in live sessions, always with the same settings: a bit clubreverb, a bit pitch correction and a bit slap delay.

I want to add some harmony from time to time in chorus, so I want to add another stompbox. From what I read here ... that's not so easy (combining two pedals gives latency, putting the harmony singer 2 in chain, you cannot use the slap ...). So ... I love the easyness of the MM2 ... is there a way to achive my goal in a simple way?

ghislain Contributor - Level 1 2019-12-02

2019-12-02

TV Helicon Mic Mechanics 2 with extra harmony

Hi,

I use a TC Helicon Mic mechanics in live sessions, always with the same settings: a bit clubreverb, a bit pitch correction and a bit slap delay.

I want to add some harmony from time to time in chorus, so I want to add another stompbox. From what I read here ... that's not so easy (combining two pedals gives latency, putting the harmony singer 2 in chain, you cannot use the slap ...). So ... I love the easyness of the MM2 ... is there a way to achive my goal in a simple way?

Triber Moderator

Re: TV Helicon Mic Mechanics 2 with extra harmony

Hey @ghislain,
Technically you can use the Harmony Singer and Mic Mechanic together, there are just a couple caveats that'll be up to your preference.  Each pedal adds around 6ms of latency to your vocals, so with two pedals amounting to 12ms that's on the cusp of being noticeable - personally it doesn't faze me (I'm a slow singer) but other users have reported it to be offputting (maybe they're rappers?) so this is up to you.

The other thing to keep in mind is there is a bit of redundancy in using these two pedals together - you'd basically be turning your Mic Mechanic into just a delay and reverb pedal. To produce accurate harmonies, the Harmony Singer needs to receive your dry/unaffected vocals, so Harmony Singer goes first in the chain.  Then there's the Tone algorithm, you only want it active on one pedal, and it needs to the be first pedal, so the Harmony Singer will have Tone active and the Mic Mechanic will have it turned off.  So with this two-pedal setup you won't be using the Tone on Mic Mechanic, nor will you be able to use its pitch Correction as that effect requires a monophonic input, added harmony voices will likely mess it up.

Also you didn't mention if you play an instrument or have an instrumentalist with you in your performance.  Either way, the Harmony Signer pedal needs a guide for the harmonies to know which key you're in.  There's no way to manually set the key on this pedal, so you need to input chordal information into its instrument input for it to work properly.  Hopefully that's all helpful, cheers!

Testing engineer at TC Helicon, MUSIC Tribe. Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.