Super Contributor - Level 2

The Gerbil-Tron 9000

I wanna box that will handle the midi side.
And I wish it to be called "The Gerbil-Tron 9000."
I want it to do this...

1) Rock solid midi in/out sync. Flexible click track generator.
2) Simple but effective and surprisingly powerful midi sequencer. It doesn't have to be too flash, as most people would do the fancy stuff on a DAW. But have it able to respond and transmit to the full midi spec.
3) The ability to run audio on a timeline alongside midi. (probably gonna need about 6-8 outputs. Two inputs(at least... Smiley Happy ))
4) No Inbuilt sounds. (eh ?)
5) Oh Alright... maybe 1 drum-kit. But that's it!
6) Some sort of lyric display which scrolls with timeline.
7) Do what "Midi ox" does, but in a box.
8) The ability to loop sections at the push off a button. eg. Play the 8 bar intro to the song by pushing a foot-switch. The singer misses his cue to start singing on bar 9, So I push a F/switch and now at bar 11 (or 13) it jumps to bar 9 for the singer to have another go.
9) Maybe have it script-able.
10)Robust-Should be able to survive being dropped, having a pint spilled over it and kicked.
11) Simple audio editing. cut,copy paste. etc.
12) When I used to use "MusicX" on the Amiga, It had a feature where you could tell the computer to "play sequence 26 when midi note 36 is recieved." or variations thereof. At the time it was just midi, but the same could be done with audio+midi these days i should imagine.

In essence, anything that would normally require a laptop or tablet. Put in a foot-pedal/box.

And I do not wish to pay for it.
Sort it out. Chop! Chop!

Smiley Very Happy

and a foot-switch and expression pedal input..

and, No touchscreen or wireless. Yes to Usb.

Thanks!

Maybe a vga/hdmi out ? for lyrics or editing.

or........
Tags (1)
PetGerbil Super Contributor - Level 2 2017-07-25

2017-07-25

The Gerbil-Tron 9000

I wanna box that will handle the midi side.
And I wish it to be called "The Gerbil-Tron 9000."
I want it to do this...

2) Simple but effective and surprisingly powerful midi sequencer. It doesn't have to be too flash, as most people would do the fancy stuff on a DAW. But have it able to respond and transmit to the full midi spec.
3) The ability to run audio on a timeline alongside midi. (probably gonna need about 6-8 outputs. Two inputs(at least... Smiley Happy ))
4) No Inbuilt sounds. (eh ?)
5) Oh Alright... maybe 1 drum-kit. But that's it!
6) Some sort of lyric display which scrolls with timeline.
7) Do what "Midi ox" does, but in a box.
8) The ability to loop sections at the push off a button. eg. Play the 8 bar intro to the song by pushing a foot-switch. The singer misses his cue to start singing on bar 9, So I push a F/switch and now at bar 11 (or 13) it jumps to bar 9 for the singer to have another go.
9) Maybe have it script-able.
10)Robust-Should be able to survive being dropped, having a pint spilled over it and kicked.
11) Simple audio editing. cut,copy paste. etc.
12) When I used to use "MusicX" on the Amiga, It had a feature where you could tell the computer to "play sequence 26 when midi note 36 is recieved." or variations thereof. At the time it was just midi, but the same could be done with audio+midi these days i should imagine.

In essence, anything that would normally require a laptop or tablet. Put in a foot-pedal/box.

And I do not wish to pay for it.
Sort it out. Chop! Chop!

Smiley Very Happy

and a foot-switch and expression pedal input..

and, No touchscreen or wireless. Yes to Usb.

Thanks!

Maybe a vga/hdmi out ? for lyrics or editing.

or........

• 0 Kudos
  • 13 Replies
Solution Leader

Re: The Gerbil-Tron 9000

Haha love the name!

This is a really neat idea. I don't necessarily see it as a Helicon product, but that doesn't matter for the purposes of our discussion, since it could be Behringer or TCE etc.

My gut reaction is to lean towards a black-box style interface with an app for all the editing on tablet/phone, since that's the most complex part of the use and would be more flexible on an existing platform. I know you said no touch screen or wireless, but precise editing on a box on the floor has a fair amount of potential to be tough/complicated.

Another option would be to ship it with a blue tooth connected screen that was wireless and could mount on your mic stand.

Feel like drawing me a little picture of what you think the footswitch and I/O might look like?
Cheers, Craig Brand Solutions Leader - Broadcast & Streaming

Picture may or may not follow...

After putting a bit more thought into it. If we were to narrow down my exuberant requests to a more
manageable amount (the first three) Then build from there. It might give a better idea of where I'm coming from and why.

"
2) Simple but effective and surprisingly powerful midi sequencer. It doesn't have to be too flash, as most
people would do the fancy stuff on a DAW. But have it able to respond and transmit to the full midi spec.
3) The ability to run audio on a timeline alongside midi. (probably gonna need about 6-8 outputs. Two inputs(at least... ))"

I can't really think of anything that is reasonably priced and not a laptop that could do this sort of thing.

"Drummer needs a click, so he can lock-in with the sequences and samples ?" - Gerbiltron 9000 !
"Would be nice to bring in some ambient noises triggered from midi..." - Gerbiltron 9000 !
"Wanna Save the whole of that sessions patch tweaks to recall next week." - Gerbiltron 9000 !
"Wanna handle all the bands patch changes from one central box."
"Be nice if we could sync the dmx lights to midi somehow..."

So for outputs, I'd go for 8 mono 1/4" jacks. (Nice and substantial. easily and quickly replaceable.)
2 mono 1/4" jacks as an additional Main output along with another 2 for a separate out.

4 inputs 1/4" Jacks. ( left and right + Aux left and right)

1 Midi in. 2xMidi outs. Midi Thru.

2 Usb sockets

I'm a bit wary of buying anything that needs a phone or tablet to fully function, I would go so far as to say that
I wouldn't buy it. By all means make an editor for pc's phones tablets etc, Just don't have something that needs a substantial additional
expense before it becomes fully usable.

I like the idea of a seperate screen, blue toothed to the Gebiltron9000 on the floor.(Honest, I'm not married to the name. It can be changed..)
The only thing I could see happening is, when this feature is read by a "suit." What inevitably happens is they say "Hey...This blue-tooth screen thing ?
Screens are really expensive. What about,...We make it an App ? Then people could use their phones or tablet !"

It then goes from a "professional piece of Audio equipment" to an "App In a fragile
phone connected to flimsy connectors connected to 1000's of watts of amplification.."

I'm starting to waffle so I'll stop. Thanks for listening Smiley Happy
Solution Leader

Thanks for all the clarifications on the various features. I'm going to put together a little document to bounce off some folks and see what comes back Smiley Happy

If you could pop next door to Denmark and steal Tor's new footswitch expression thing,that would be cool to have on it.

Canada is next door to Denmark isn't it ? Smiley Very Happy
Solution Leader

Heya Pete,

We actually can use the MASH switches on a product, so that could be part of the design.

I got our designer to read your post and interpret it the best he could into a product.

Obviously, this isn't something we can do for every idea, but it was a fun exercise in seeing how thoughts from the forums can translate into a physical idea.

I present to you The Gerbil Tron 9000! Let me know how close or far this is from what you envisioned.

Volunteer Moderator

Pet Gerbil;131554 wrote:
Canada is next door to Denmark isn't it ? Smiley Very Happy

That all depends on where in Canada. Halifax (east coast) to Copenhagen is only 950 km driving distance, which to a Canadian would be considered "next door". But Halifax to Vancouver (west coast where Craig is) is 6170 km - just a tad further Smiley Very Happy
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!

I can't see the images Craig.

With those switches, If you had a normal footswitch next to it, could you use it to MASH a value(a new buzzword is born..Inform marketing!) and then sort of rock your foot onto a normal switch to "set" its value ?

heh, Paul. Geography was never my strong point. Smiley Very Happy
Highlighted
Solution Leader

So strange that people can't see the images. I can see them in the post from my computer.

Hmm. Here's a Dropbox link to the images for now. I'll see what might be going on.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xw98rv5h5dd7eeg/AAAhzUYv8Q-3PcPXxlgnfh62a?dl=0

Thanks Craig, (and graphics wizz engineer.) That looks excellent.!
We've had a bereavement here so i may not be around much for a while, but thanks in the meantime.

Pete.