Contributor - Level 2

UMC204hd Phantom power issue?

As of recent whenever I use the 48v phantom power on my interface to power my mic I get very quiet/thin audio that lacks any low end. At first I thought this was an issue with my cables, but I've tried checking connections, swapping the cables and even using the interface on a different system to rule out my USB bus from being the problem. My interface works completely fine with non-XLR inputs. One strange thing I've found is that after switching off the 48v phantom power the microphone sounds like it's supposed to while it's powering down. I havn't used the 48v phatom power on my interface for a couple of months, so I'm not sure if this is an internal issue or if I'm just missing something simple. 

Bibble Contributor - Level 2 2019-10-05

2019-10-05

UMC204hd Phantom power issue?

As of recent whenever I use the 48v phantom power on my interface to power my mic I get very quiet/thin audio that lacks any low end. At first I thought this was an issue with my cables, but I've tried checking connections, swapping the cables and even using the interface on a different system to rule out my USB bus from being the problem. My interface works completely fine with non-XLR inputs. One strange thing I've found is that after switching off the 48v phantom power the microphone sounds like it's supposed to while it's powering down. I havn't used the 48v phatom power on my interface for a couple of months, so I'm not sure if this is an internal issue or if I'm just missing something simple. 

• 0 Kudos
  • 4 Replies
Rising Star - Level 1

Re: UMC204hd Phantom power issue?

Hi @Bibble 

What mics are you using?

Contributor - Level 2

An "Audio Technica AT2020"

Valued Contributor - Level 1

Hi @Bibble ,

Do you have any other condenser miks you can try?  This sounds like a mik problem, not a phantom power problem. 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

No, the only other microphone I might be able to get my hands on is my friend's dynamic microphone which I don't know the name of.