Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

VL Touch 2 TRS output, balanced vs unbalanced?

Device: Voicelive Touch 2

The manual says "Balanced/Unbalanced: 80/40 Ohm" with regard to using balanced and unbalanced TRS cables.

I am currently erring on the side of caution by using unbalanced TRS cables because of the lower impedance produced. Will there be any danger or benefit to other electronics further down the line to using balanced TRS cables?

Any thoughts, advice and tips would be most appreciated!!
AndyNg Contributor - Level 1 2017-09-24

2017-09-24

VL Touch 2 TRS output, balanced vs unbalanced?

Device: Voicelive Touch 2

The manual says "Balanced/Unbalanced: 80/40 Ohm" with regard to using balanced and unbalanced TRS cables.

I am currently erring on the side of caution by using unbalanced TRS cables because of the lower impedance produced. Will there be any danger or benefit to other electronics further down the line to using balanced TRS cables?

Any thoughts, advice and tips would be most appreciated!!

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies
Solution Leader

Re: VL Touch 2 TRS output, balanced vs unbalanced?

Hi Andy,

You're totally ok to use balanced TRS cables. I'd recommend it due to the noise resistance of the balancing. At the mixer end, just adjust your input trim to get the level you're looking for.
Cheers, Craig Brand Solutions Leader - Broadcast & Streaming
Contributor - Level 2

Isn´t "unbalanced TRS" a contradiction in terms? As far as I´ve learned, TRS is the balanced version of a TS-plug... (Tip-Ring-Sleeve vs Tip-Sleeve.) Am I getting it wrong?

Trying to use unbalanced cables (TS), I got a significant humming-noise that essentially ruled that option out. I haven´t tried balanced cables, though, since I don´t own any at the moment, only XLR in mono. (An additional XLR output for stereo would have been great.)
Triber Moderator

Hey Andy,
Indeed "unbalanced TRS" is a contradiction in this case. It's possible for a TRS cable to carry two unbalanced signals and thus be a stereo cable, like a headphone cable, but in this case if you plug a TRS cable into the Touch 2's output you'll get a balanced mono signal. The specification you're referring to (I'm assuming you saw it here?) just means that you can technically use either a balanced cable (TRS) or an unbalanced cable (TS) for the 1/4" outputs. As you've already found though, the latter option has a different resistance and less-desirable noise ratio.
Testing engineer at TC Helicon, MUSIC Tribe. Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.
Contributor - Level 1

Would a line box be needed for connecting from the TRS outputs ? I mean in situation with stage box and FOH far away ? 

Or, would be enough just to have a calbe with TRS in one end and XLR in the other ?

Triber Moderator

TRS and XLR are balanced, bascially the whole point of which is so you can use long cables.  So as long as whatever you're plugging into at the front of house is also a balanced input, then you should be good to go without an extra box Smiley Happy

Testing engineer at TC Helicon, MUSIC Tribe. Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.