Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

VL2 Blue/Blank Screen on Startup

If you didn't notice, earlier this same day I also posted that the Headphone Jack on my VL3 broke. And, feeling fortunate I have a VL2, I could continue working on my project. Not so fast.

http://support.tc-helicon.com/entries/94113657-VL3-Heaphone-Jack-is-Broken

It's simply not my lucky day with both my VoiceLive units! When I purchased the VL2, I used it probably no more then 50 hours before storing it away because the VL3 came out.

Using the power supply for the VL2. When I Power up, the LED screen is blue/blank, and all the buttons are RED. After trying to power cycle it slowly, I finally got it to boot using the system reset by holding Setup, Wizard, and Store on power up.

This is obviously a known issue but since the old forum is closed, is there something more serious with the unit I need to be concerned about?

It has the latest firmware I could find.

Jeff
Tags (1)
jefftronics Contributor - Level 2 05-23-2015

05-23-2015

VL2 Blue/Blank Screen on Startup

If you didn't notice, earlier this same day I also posted that the Headphone Jack on my VL3 broke. And, feeling fortunate I have a VL2, I could continue working on my project. Not so fast.

http://support.tc-helicon.com/entries/94113657-VL3-Heaphone-Jack-is-Broken

It's simply not my lucky day with both my VoiceLive units! When I purchased the VL2, I used it probably no more then 50 hours before storing it away because the VL3 came out.

Using the power supply for the VL2. When I Power up, the LED screen is blue/blank, and all the buttons are RED. After trying to power cycle it slowly, I finally got it to boot using the system reset by holding Setup, Wizard, and Store on power up.

This is obviously a known issue but since the old forum is closed, is there something more serious with the unit I need to be concerned about?

It has the latest firmware I could find.

Jeff

• 0 Kudos
  • 21 Replies
Solution Leader

Re: VL2 Blue/Blank Screen on Startup

Hi Jeff,

Ugh, here's an e-beer for you.

[img]/attachments/token/p1SzMCcxH2jweGJbzHDUFTH9k/?name=BEER.jpg" alt="BEER.jpg" width="125" height="144">

What a crappy day in VL land!

How does the unit respond now that you did the reset? Is it still blue screening or booting correctly when you do it multiple times?

Cheers,
Craig
Cheers, Craig Customer Solutions Leader - Broadcast & Streaming
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Craig.. LOL.. thanks for the e-beer.

Later again it acted up again and I got the blue screen again. Not sure what finally gets it to start correctly? Of course I made sure yesterday after I got things going the first time. I updated the Firmware. Is there a way for me to permanently avoid this issue?

Another side question about erasing the loop. In a separate post you mentioned a ‘burp’ when erasing the loop on the VL2. This is annoying indeed. Is this avoidable? Or is there a more silent way to do it on the VL2?

Also, for what it’s worth. Using the VL2 makes me appreciate the USB connection with my DAW. You know where I'm going with this, don’t you - lol. I know it’s been deferred for the VL3 - so that’s my two cents. Enough said.

Jeff

Contributor - Level 2

Well I can see that there is still no answer to this phenomena. Every time I get to the gig, I have to fiddle with it, on off on off on off, finally I get the display. Sometimes, starting it up with no cords plugged in helps. Would really like this fixed.
Cubase Pro 10 | Cubase Elements 10 | Dual Quad MAC PRO | OSX Mojave | Behringer XR-18 | Behringer ADA8200 | UAD-2 (2x) | Reason 11 | Alesis Trigger IO | KRK-RP5 | Behringer Control2USB
Solution Leader

Hi Lees,

If it's happening to you, I'd contact support to get the unit looked at. There's nothing on the software side that would explain the behavior.

Cheers,
Craig
Contributor - Level 2

@Lees. Same here - lot’s of fiddling. If I let the unit sit for a couple months I struggle to get things working again and you said it best. Lot’s of on/off, over and over until finally it starts working. Sometimes I trick myself into thinking perhaps there a difference between pushing the power button slowly, vs normal/fast. And once It finally turns on it seems to be okay for future on/offs over the next few days.

I have a VL3 so I forget about it. But this isn't right cause I purchased the VL2 shortly before the VL3 came out. I even feel bad trying to sell my VL2 it because of this issue. It has the latest firmware too.
Contributor - Level 2

I have an update, for what it’s worth. This is an annoying issue indeed. And, given the low mileage on my VL2 maybe at some point I will call service to get it fixed the right way.What's difficult is given the value of the unit has gone down, I end up overpaying for it in the long run since it's out of warranty.

Given all the reading up on this known issue even in the older voicecouncil forums, I would be curios if there was a hardware issue identified.

One poster’s observation caught my attention and it seemed to work for me. He said, leave the unit on for an hour!. I did that and eventually, the until displayed normally. In my case fortunately it wasn’t a full hour, maybe 15 to 20 minutes. But this is better then messing with the power switch by switching it on / off several times.
Contributor - Level 2

I spoke with the bonified repair shop in Clearwater Florida. The person on the other end of the phone mentioned a know issue with a capacitor on the power section that is most likely the culprit. If that is in fact the case, and it is a know issue, TC should cover this no matter what.. It is negligible. I have not had the luxury of being able to part with my VL2 so I just fiddle with it until it comes on every night. I just purchased a VL3X that has not arrived yet. As soon as I am up and running on the new box, I am going to send my unit to Florida for repair. I am going to insist on a full documentation of the repair and will report my findings. I would be very interested in knowing if anyone else with this problem had a real repair done and what the outcome was.
Cubase Pro 10 | Cubase Elements 10 | Dual Quad MAC PRO | OSX Mojave | Behringer XR-18 | Behringer ADA8200 | UAD-2 (2x) | Reason 11 | Alesis Trigger IO | KRK-RP5 | Behringer Control2USB
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks lees. I too feel/expect an out of warranty fix, if what you were told is right on. I wonder if they were tracking the unit model numbers for this.
Solution Leader

Hi guys,

I spoke with our lead hardware engineer to see if there was some sort of known issue with any specific runs of VL2. He's not aware of anything like that. The techs at the repair facilities could certainly have seen a specific hardware failure of a cap more than one time, but that's quite different from a systemic issue and we'd definitely know about it if there was one.

We've sold tens of thousands of VL2's and this issue isn't something common. As much as I know it sucks to have to pay for out of warranty repairs, that's going to be the option available in this case.

Cheers,
Craig