The3Nuges Contributor - Level 2 2014-08-27

2014-08-27

VoiceLive 3 Control Knob Broke. Need Help.

NOTE TO ALL: If you read this post, plz read the whole thread. My situation is being addressed by TC, as a one-time exception. And AFAIK, this is not a problem that anyone else has seen before. So, plz pardon my "sky is falling" scenario as I describe it below. Even so, I'm leaving this posting pretty much as is, for now. Main reason: We all need to be mindful of the VL3's Control Knob, its height, and its manufacture. Make sure it is well protected. Although I cannot imagine how it may have gotten "thumped", anything is possible. Here's my original posting:

After so much praise for TC Helicon (truly a great company in so many ways), I'm afraid I have to give you some bad press now.

My jaw dropped last night when the Control Knob (the big one; upper right) came off in my hand. I baby this VL3, so I cannot imagine how this happened.

Well, actually I can. It is an Achile's Heel in the mechanical design, and mine will not be the last to have this happen. Here's why: 1) The shaft of the knob is plastic, with a small diameter. 2) The knob is very big, and sits higher than anything else on the unit's landscape. 3) Due to the Control Knob's duties, one of which is a "push" function, for selecting FAVs or locking out the controls for stage use, it does not sit flush to the face of the VL3; instead, it "floats" on that skinny, plastic shaft.

Mechanically speaking, this combination is a part failure waiting to happen. I realize that there is a round channel cut into the face of the unit around the edge of the knob, but that won't protect it from the knob being bumped, or crushed, or whatever, which is probably what happened to mine, though I can't imagine when it happened. But none of that would matter if it weren't for the plastic shaft. Sorry, a plastic shaft on the main control knob is unacceptable in a professional-grade product.

Worse, I contacted your Tech Support and found out that there is no exchange program. Unfortunately, I have too many gigs lined up to be able to wait on my unit to go out for repair. So I am basically hosed at this point. BTW, I am awaiting a response on whether this failure is covered by warranty.

The only silver lining here is that otherwise, the units still works. And, by placing the knob on the shaft, and messing with it (a lot), I can eventually scroll through menus. Plus, I've already done 95% of my tweaking of Presets. But so much for experimenting with new sounds.

So then, Craig; the two important questions (and sadly, I'm pretty sure I already know the answers): 1) Is it possible, in the next update, to include a "Control Knob Workaround", where scrolling through the menus can be done via a different method? 2) When I do send my unit in, can I get a knob with a METAL shaft? I'd be willing to bet that both fixes are possible, but, for just one broken knob, neither will be cost-effective for TC Helicon to do.

However, with a plastic shaft, and a multi-function knob that's big, and sits high, you can bet I won't be the only one.

I will update as soon as I hear back about the warranty question.

Craig, just so you know, I'm still a TC believer Smiley Happy I'm certain that, in the end, you guys will come through for me. You always do.

• 0 Kudos
  • 52 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: VoiceLive 3 Control Knob Broke. Need Help.

Kalimera Mano

Same here, had top buy a 2nd unit to use for gigs in the summertime. I ordered a knob from Nakas over a month now and its not here yet, but its your only solution I think. I just bought the knob and hopefully I will get it fixed through a friend also.

Nikos
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Same with me! No idea how it broke. Where can I buy the replacement POT?

20151223_190101.jpg
Contributor - Level 2

The control knob is not a "pot/potentiometer", but a rotary encoder which uses pulses to provide information to a digital circuit. Besides physical fit to replace a failed one, it needs to electrically match the original for detents and pulses (I think there may be a spec for rotation and output also). I've replaced several of these in a couple pieces of gear, one encoder had a plastic shaft and was broken like the controls in this thread. I used replacement encoders that have aluminum shafts from the manufacturer ALPS bought through an electronics retailer.

Some, but not all encoders may have a part number on it that might be used to figure out what an appropriate cross reference replacement would be with luck. I have not taken my VLP GTX apart (hope not to have to), but guessing from the location of where the encoder is mounted it may a take a bit to get access to it for replacement. If you don't have good skills for repair of something like this, probably best to have someone else do it. If you feel competent, perhaps Craig could provide a part number or a means to order a replacement directly or........

A bit of Googling and did found this for some TCH parts.... http://www.fullcompass.com/brand/TC/Replacement-Service-Parts.html?&query=&categoryOrder=Price-Low&v...

Contributor - Level 2

To whom it may concern,

I HAVE A SIMILAR ISSUE ...

I too have a knob issue, though it is not the big one described here. Mine is the smaller knobs (4) for changing the parameters. There is no "click" happening as I rotate the knob as there is on the others.

I searched the web and made contact with the service center in Arizona (?) but they would not send me an RMA or pay for shipping to have it fixed. The guy I spoke with was a bit rude and nonchalant. I asked him if he would send me a schematic to open my VL2 and do a "pot swap"with the disfuntional VL3 and he told me it would void my warranty and that he was not authorized to send me that data. So, I just started using my VL2 again in the meantime but this has been sitting in my office as a beautiful paperweight. Aaaaaargh!!!

When I do not feel like bringing my VL2 from home I have been reduced to using the not fully functional VL3 without being able to actually tweak the parameters of the most important function (choosing the effect type). So currently I'm stuck using the presets that came with the unit and downloads from other users. This straight up sucks.

Can anyone help?

VL3 broken knob --(.jpg
Contributor - Level 2

Hi

Just a suggestion, get yourself Ians voicelive 3 editor free version, PC only at the moment but the Mac is on its way i think, if you like it £30 for the full which does set lists and librarian.
Contributor - Level 2

Hi, this is a relief to find this email trail. Three days ago, I was about to put my unit back in the plastic bag and original box which I keep it in and as I picked it up, the knob gently rolled off. I have only ever once used it outside of the house and I treat it like it's made of glass. It has never been bumped, dropped or damaged in any way and I've had it about 3 months. I'm taking it back to guitar guitar where I purchased it from tomorrow, and I fully expect to be told it's due to damage I've caused. I am so disappointed with the quality of this compared to the hardy design of the rest of the unit.. To helicon - what is your advice please? Are you willing to do the right thing and exchange the unit,and subsequently change the design to a metal shaft?
Contributor - Level 2

Hi, same issue with knob. I have used this at one gig, it lives in the original box, and has never been dropped or kicked, but as I went to put it away the other day, the knob gently rolled off. I have returned my unit to the place I purchased it (guitar guitar in Birmingham-v helpful manager) and having seen the sheared off knob, is sending to TC Helicon for their view. From what Ive seen above, it remains to be seen whether the assumption is that I've damaged it somehow(not true, treated with loving care and happy for any TC Helicon techs to show me evidence to the contrary) and so I will update when I've received an answer. The bottom line is that the build for this unit is solid except for this weak plastic shaft on a key control which renders the unit useless when it fails. Change the specification please.
Contributor - Level 2

I don't care about warranty issues i just need to order the control knob part (the plastic piece the large knob on the voicelive 3) the two prongs at the bottom have snapped off.

I am located in Victoria, BC as well
Contributor - Level 1

Just happened to my unit as well. Please help!!
Contributor - Level 1

Glad I found this thread, I received my Acoustic VoicePlay for Christmas, as I took it to my computer to update the presets I brushed my arm against the unit and the centre knob sheared off. This unit has less than one hour on it and has never been taken out of the house. I brushed against the unit while reaching for something else. The movement was so light that I didn’t even realize at the time that it had happened, it was only when I went to make some adjustments that I noticed the knob was missing. I thought maybe it had fallen off the part where it joins to the pot, however, when I could not find the knob anywhere, I went back to the area where I had carried it. There was the knob, but it had not fallen off, it had sheared off, part of the plastic still in the top of the knob. I was dismayed as the action was so slight as to not have been felt by me at the time it happened.
Since I’m obviously not the only one this has happened to, isn’t it time that Helicon took some responsibility for this design flaw? How would this ever withstand the rigours of taking it out and gigging with it? Glad to report that LA Music my local retailer, repaired, or replaced my unit, working fine, thanks Chris!