CraigFraser Solution Leader 2016-02-22

2016-02-22

VoiceLive 3 & VoiceLive 3 Extreme 2.1.01 Build 355 Released!

Hi All,

We've just released an update to VL3 and VL3X that adds a couple of features people have been asking for.

Backing Tracks and USB audio (USB only for VL3) are now NaturalPlay options both globally and per-preset. You can guitar solo to your heart's content over tracks and have the track be your key/scale guide.
Added Preset UP/DN to the Switch 3/6 target list
Fixed an issue where "Delay/Reverb Level" via Expression pedal would sometimes "forget" the reverb or delay and begin operating on only one of the two
Fixed an issue where momentary/latched could recall incorrectly after selected a function that momentary/latched did no apply to, like Tap Tempo.

The update is available via VoiceSupport or directly below via the attachment.

www.tc-helicon.com/products/voicesupport/

Cheers,
Craig

VoiceLive3 2.1.01 Build355.syx

• 0 Kudos
  • 282 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: VoiceLive 3 & VoiceLive 3 Extreme 2.1.01 Build 355 Released!

Craig, you're a genius! That is absolutely 'problem solved'; I never thought of queueing up and rigging the automation recording in that manner, no more crunches and pops as automation rifles through different sounds...

Thank you very much for that one, I think that's pretty much my last hurdle in prepping my VL3X for taking over gigging duties, it's been a long few weeks but well worth it..!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Hey Craig....I routinely use your TCHelicon guitar/headphone cable for playing Sunday mornings at church. One of those cables (guitar cable) lost the tip. It looked pressed on, so there was no saving it. I wrote support and they sent me a new cable. That was awesome. Now I don't abuse my cables. Working for Warner Bros in LA taught me to take good care of cables. Now, the tip of the replacement cable failed also!!!! Never found this tip....but today for rehearsal I heard a "rattle" coming from inside the VL3X!!!! I rocked it and the rattle moved around!!! I think the tip is inside the unit !! I'm very worried this could short out my unit! What should I do now?! I now use a monster guitar cable. I have never had a cable fail this way! What gives? I Don't step or abuse cables, what an I do???? Help
Contributor - Level 2

@Craig:
I like the voicelive 3 more and more every day. In the meantime i found workflows t hat simply work for me.
Nevertheless, there are 3 things that are bothering me. Especially the first one. I though i'd mention it, maybe you can implement it in a future firmware update.

1) Steps and Looper Mode
Most of the time when playing with my VL3 i am in the looper mode/view. I mainly change my vocal and guitar sounds via steps. The thing that is really bothering me is the fact, that in the looper view it is not visible in which step i am currently in. The current step is temporarely displayed when you change it, but it disappears and afterwards you either remember where you are or you have to find out by stepping forth and back or something like that. That's what REALLY is missing in the unit. If you'd manage to display the steps somehow inside the looper view, this would be awesome.

2) Erase all loops and loop/tempo change when changing presets
Imagine me playing a song using the VL3's looper. When the song is finished and i want to play another song (which means using another preset) i have to first "erase all" recorded loops before changing the preset. Otherwise the tempo/BPM of song #1 would still be active even after changing to song/preset #2. It would be nice to have some option like "automatically erase all when changing preset". I know, you implemented it that way so you do not accidentally jump to another preset and delete everything but i'd prefer that. The thing is: i have to press "erase all" after every single song i'm playing. In case i forget, i change the preset and it could be the case that i will start playing the next song with the wrong tempo. Because voicelive doesn't somehow warn you that the tempo was not changed when changing the preset.

3) Panning Guitar + Vocals globally
Since i'm monitoring with in-ear-headphones, i like to have my vocals panned L50 and my guitar panned R50. I have to set this up in every single preset. This is way less important than the two feature request above, i simply wanted to mention it. Maybe more users would like to have the possibility to set it globally instead of per preset.

Thanks for listening. Let me know what you're thinking!

Best regards
ben
Contributor - Level 2

I was playing last night thinking to myself how I wanted to ask TCH if they could make the current step visible from the loop screen. I'm always having to hit the step button to see which one I'm on then scrolling through to get back to the one I want.

So YES Ben, you hit the nail on the head. I would LOVE to have this feature.

And as for your #2 request. I still haven't messed with setting tempos... But now I'm curious; do you have tempos programmed in each preset? Do you use a different preset for each song? Are you playing along with a beat through the main speakers; or is that just coming into your inears?

I definitely have forgotten to erase a recorded track but I sometimes change presets during a song and wouldn't want it to erase. But would be nice to have that option.

Thanks!

Contributor - Level 2

Hi Ben,

here a workaround for erasing - just program an empty preset to the presets. This way changing presets will always erase the loops....

You find it under 'Looper / Preset / Loopslot' ...

all the best - Hanz
Hanz Marathon www.marathon-music.com
Contributor - Level 2

...I meant an empty loopslot...
Hanz Marathon www.marathon-music.com
Contributor - Level 1

Hi Craig,

A strange thing is happening after I upgraded to 355.

At my gigs I use "dual mono" output config to separate my vocals and music.

Before the 355 upgrade, anything connected to the "aux-in" used to come out the right XLR (and my vocals came out the left XLR).

Everything went perfect with the voice support 2 upgrade to 355 so there were no errors, all good.

However when I got to my gig, the aux-in AND my vocals were both coming out the Left XLR alone, even though the vlx3 was still set to "dual mono" as before (I hadn't changed anything) and nothing was coming out the right XLR.

To troubleshoot if I had a bad cable or even a dead right XLR socket on the vlx3, I changed the VLX3's output to "stereo". Both left and right XLR outs of the vlx3 worked fine and I got a stereo mix of of both the aux-in and the vocals together (as you would expect). No problem there.

So any ideas what could be going on?

Best Regards

Kenny
Solution Leader

Hi Kenny,

We changed the routing of the Aux to be with the vocals in 355. This was to facilitate some of the routing options for the guitar jacks stuff. Since we don't have unlimited I/O, we have to group some thing together. With the new modes we had to decide to send the Aux with guitar or vocals. It made sense to us to send it with vocals, since the guitar signal could be going to an amp, which would be a weird place to send full range music. Putting it with the vox signal makes it more likely that the music signal won't end up inadvertently coming out someone's guitar amp and sounding weird.

Keep in mind that you can mix Aux/vocal balance in the mix page on VL3, so the FOH may have lost that control but you still have it.

Cheers,
Craig
Cheers, Craig Brand Solutions Leader - Broadcast & Streaming
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Craig,

Is there anyway currently for VL3X to have the Mic In have a "Thru Out" as in Pre FX Dry?

Unless there already is a way to configure the setup for this, it'd be great if there was perhaps via the Monitor Thru XLR jack. Thanks.

Regards

Randolf

Contributor - Level 2

HiCraig,

are there any other backing tracks provided by TC apart from Amazing Grace with the VL3X? I have a brand new one but had to reinstall 355 for some issues. Then the BT of Amazing was gone and I received from Nicolas a DropBoxLink to the ref. package. Are there any more for try out and learning the VL3X?

Best regards

Klaus-Peter
KPZ