RyanSmall Contributor - Level 2 03-29-2014

03-29-2014

Voicelive 3 MIDI + External Controller features

Hey all,

Is it possible to control other midi device presets with the VL3 Preset up and down? I'm using a Strymon BigSky and TimeLine and would like all 3 to change presets simultaneously using one pedal. Do I need an external midi controller or is this possible via the VL3 preset up and down buttons?

Also has anyone had any luck using a external expression pedal to control the Wah? I can't seem to find the Wah option in the EXPR PEDAL menu.

Thanks,

Ryan

• 0 Kudos
  • 7 Replies

Re: Voicelive 3 MIDI + External Controller features

Solution Leader

Heya Ryan,

When you press preset up/dn or any of the effect buttons on VL3, corresponding PC's and CC's are sent out the MIDI out. You should be able to control other devices via VL3.

Cheers,
Craig
Cheers, Craig Customer Solutions Leader - Broadcast & Streaming

Contributor - Level 2

This post rises from the dead!!!! Craig, can I do the same thing with the step button? Can it send a series of PC's and CC's or just one? This could be my dream come true.

Solution Leader

Heya Galen,

As far as I remember, the Step CC sends the same way as other CC's. It's a defined number for the CC and then sends the value of the step. Step1=1, Step2=2 etc.

The Step button doesn't send "whatever step is mapped to" though. It sends a dedicated "step" CC no matter what step is actually doing at the time.

-Craig

Contributor - Level 2

Darn, I was so hoping that I could set it up so if I pressed the step button it could trigger several other outboard effects as well, but I would need that to be assignable based on the preset, not just STEP always sends the same signal.

Contributor - Level 2

Hey Craig,

Another question for you. Does pressing Preset Up or Preset Down send it's own MIDI command? If so, what is that command? I found the CCs for each of the effects, but I'm not sure what the command would be from the preset buttons.

Solution Leader

Heya,

Preset up/dn will send a Program Change message, not a CC.

Cheers,
Craig

Contributor - Level 2

Hey Craig,

another midi question here:

With my midi foot controller I can send program changes and recall pathces, and I can modify the effects on/off status sending control changes.

One thing that I can't manage to do is to recall steps.

I've set control change 115 (as red in the VL3 manual) and set the value 2 in order to recall that patch in "step2", but it doesn't work.

My controller can work also in momentary mode, so I can recall a preset and then just pressing again the same footswitch i can send a cc. Usually I control this way guitar delay, reverb, and mod, and it works, but with step I've no result neither in fixed nor in momentary mode.

Any suggestion?

thanks a lot Smiley Happy