Contributor - Level 2

Voicelive Rack w/RJM Mastermind GT22

I’m currently trying to setup my Voicelive Rack with my RJM Mastermind GT22. I have it working perfectly save for one tiny issue. I should mention I just made the switch to these units and there’s a lot I still need to learn. Currently during our live show I switch between quarter note and eighth note delays.  This is dependent on the MIDI clock/click tracks coming from Ableton. I was using the Voicelive Touch 2 and the switch 6. In that setup I would just reach down to my mic stand mounted unit and switch to a whole different preset where the only difference was the aforementioned quarter note vs. eighth note delay style. I’m trying to move all my audio signal to the backline of our setup. So I switched to wireless mics, a multifunction super switcher (The RJM) that would control my vocal rig as well as my guitar rig, and finally the voicelive rack. Everything works great so far. The small issue I am having is that when I press the switch that I programmed to send a CC that changes the “style” of the delay from quarter note to eighth note, the tempo source defaults back to “tap” instead of listening to MIDI. The only way it can be changed back to MIDI is by switching it back on the unit itself. Even if I hit the “style” button on the RJM again to toggle back to quarter note it stays on “tap”. Is there any way to fix that issue or am I going to have to setup two different presets again? Thanks in advance for the help!!

Mason Contributor - Level 2 2019-10-22

2019-10-22

Voicelive Rack w/RJM Mastermind GT22

I’m currently trying to setup my Voicelive Rack with my RJM Mastermind GT22. I have it working perfectly save for one tiny issue. I should mention I just made the switch to these units and there’s a lot I still need to learn. Currently during our live show I switch between quarter note and eighth note delays.  This is dependent on the MIDI clock/click tracks coming from Ableton. I was using the Voicelive Touch 2 and the switch 6. In that setup I would just reach down to my mic stand mounted unit and switch to a whole different preset where the only difference was the aforementioned quarter note vs. eighth note delay style. I’m trying to move all my audio signal to the backline of our setup. So I switched to wireless mics, a multifunction super switcher (The RJM) that would control my vocal rig as well as my guitar rig, and finally the voicelive rack. Everything works great so far. The small issue I am having is that when I press the switch that I programmed to send a CC that changes the “style” of the delay from quarter note to eighth note, the tempo source defaults back to “tap” instead of listening to MIDI. The only way it can be changed back to MIDI is by switching it back on the unit itself. Even if I hit the “style” button on the RJM again to toggle back to quarter note it stays on “tap”. Is there any way to fix that issue or am I going to have to setup two different presets again? Thanks in advance for the help!!

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies
Highlighted
Triber Moderator

Re: Voicelive Rack w/RJM Mastermind GT22

Hey @Mason,
This is unfortunately a known bug already logged in our system. Changing the Delay style via CC will inherently change the tempo source as well, which is not intended behavior but currently there's no way around this. Unfortunately there isn't a CC associated with selecting the tempo source, but if you're familiar with sysex messages, you can specify the tempo source with a sysex message - In VoiceLive Rack, Delay's tempo source has a sysex offset of 124, ID 279, min value 0, max value 2 (which is the MIDI input tempo source). If sysex is out of your scope, or your controller just doesn't support it, then creating two neighboring presets of different note divisions is the way to go.  Cheers!

Testing engineer at TC Helicon, MUSIC Tribe. Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Hey @TCH-Spencer 

Thank you so much for the reply! The controller I am using is capable of sending SysEx messages. I'm not too familier with that type of message but the user interface on the controller makes it look simple once you have the correct message spelled out in hexidecimal. I've attached a screen shot of the SysEx tab of the controller software. 

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seams I just need to decipher the SysEx message that switches the tempo source to MIDI, spell it out in hexidecimal separated with spaces in the given message bar, assign that message to one of the SysEx message slots in the left column, and program the physical footswitch to send the CC that toggles the Delay style while simultaneously sending the SysEx message for tempo source on both the "on message" and the "off message" for that particular switch. (Attached is a screenshot of the bottom of the button action page.)

Thanks! @TCH-Spencer 

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

If that is correct I have a couple questions that may get me out ahead of some trouble.

1. Can you supply me with the hexidecimal "address" for switching the delay source to MIDI? If not, How would I get it? (SysEx monitoring software?)

2. Would my SysEx parameters need to change in the Voicelive Rack? (SysEx is default set at 0. I'm sending CC's on channel 1)

Thank you so much again! Sorry for all the posts!! @TCH-Spencer 

Highlighted
Triber Moderator

Hey again @Mason,
I've attached the sysex manual for VoiceLive Rack for you, hopefully it's helpful.  The parameter you're looking for is "Delay Source" at 124.  Good luck!

Testing engineer at TC Helicon, MUSIC Tribe. Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.